What do you want for the future? Possible Covenant sequel aside.

Started by Baron Von Marlon, Apr 24, 2018, 10:17:35 AM

So what do you want?

A movie with one xenomorph. Something like Alien or Alien 3.
Just give me a movie with multiple xenomorphs.
Xenomorphs are ok. But I also want other variations like neomorphs and deacons.
I want more Engineers, black goo and strange creatures. Xenomorphs and AI optional.
Author
What do you want for the future? Possible Covenant sequel aside. (Read 58,240 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Life, or the Neomorph, or The Thing etc.

Nah, Isolation proves the Alien's effective today.
Like a Vampire, Werewolf or Zombie it's the filmmakers behind the scenes that matters, and determines how terrifying the Alien is.

Master

Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 30, 2019, 07:12:18 PM
Quote from: Aldo on Mar 29, 2019, 03:00:37 AM
I want a new claustrophobic space horror movie like ALIEN with a new life form with a different life cycle

LIFE?

Life was modern vomit.

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, I was not a fan of Life unfortunately.

Huggs

Life wasn't so bad. It could've been better.

You know, that's probably on a headstone somewhere.

PsyKore

I thought Life was good, but the monster was invincible which made it tiresome. There's just no point to horror movies if the monster is literally unstoppable. It just disengages my interest. The movie was also a bit too long.

Huggs

Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 04, 2019, 12:23:38 AM
I thought Life was good, but the monster was invincible which made it tiresome. There's just no point to horror movies if the monster is literally unstoppable. It just disengages my interest. The movie was also a bit too long.

Big Chap was basically invincible, as was Runner. Super strong, intelligent, on the loose and killing everyone. Basically as unstoppable as Calvin. The only way to defeat them without firepower was to formulate a plan.

The more formidable the monster, the better. Stronger than the strong, more intelligent than the intelligent. The challenge and risk is much greater, the victory more sweet, or the loss more understandable. Most movie monsters come with weaknesses that the human characters can exploit to save the day. It's refreshing to go against formula and have our side hopelessly outgunned, regardless of our best efforts.

The Old One

The Old One

Incorrect, they aren't invincible. [The original Alien, The Matriarch, The Dragon, Stompy.] 
They just didn't have the means available to kill them.

By comparison, Calvin is literally invincible and it's uninteresting.

SiL

^ This.

Big Chap would die if you shot him in the face.

Which you could do, if you weren't in space and he bleeds acid.

Calvin was actually just impervious to any form of attack. It's very different.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 04, 2019, 04:50:46 AM
Incorrect, they aren't invincible. [The original Alien, The Matriarch, The Dragon, Stompy.] They just didn't have the means available to kill it.

By comparison, Calvin is literally invincible and it's uninteresting.

Hence, why I said "basically invincible" and "basically unstoppable". Look at the lead bath runner survived. Given the situations, there was no way to fight runner or big chap. The only way to have a chance at victory was to use intelligent planning, as the crew did with Calvin. I think that's a good thing.

They eventually surmised that it might be legitimately possible that Calvin "could"  survive reentry, though he might not have if they had all gone down with the ship.

He was tough. Solid muscle. But that still likely wouldn't save him from rifle fire. Nor do I think it would have saved him from a detonation the size of the nostromo. It would've vaporized every cell of him. I also think big chap was no slouch, considering he survived in space, and that he apparently survived a face full of thruster.

So consequently, I think Calvan is more like the Alien than folks think. Against several lightly armed space folk, he ruled. Against a truckload of heavily armed marines, and in a gravitational environment, he might not have moved or done as well.

Life was just another version of alien. One with an ending where Ripley either didn't know the creature was there on the narcissus, or was unable to jettison it out into space.

SM

Calvin also has a silly name.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2019, 05:47:30 AM
Calvin also has a silly name.

Well, there's some things plot armor just can't save you from.

SiL

I think that's the issue there - it's just plot armour. The Alien is unstoppable because of creative circumstances. Calvin's unstoppable because f**k you. There's a huge difference in the psychology involved.

Jason got a lot less interesting when he was just a literal, unstoppable monster.

Russ

I just thought that we now need to add Jason X to Alien rip-offs and requels.

SiL

I mean the writer called one of the characters Dallas because he loves Alien so much so... pretty much :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed