Do Xenomorph queens get fertilized to lay eggs?

Started by tiggedclaw, Apr 20, 2018, 12:10:00 AM

Author
Do Xenomorph queens get fertilized to lay eggs? (Read 6,459 times)

SM

Aren't we fortunate they don't.

Local Trouble

whiterabbit

Quote from: Omegamorph on Apr 20, 2018, 08:07:29 AM
Aliens don't follow our biological rules or conventions of sexes or fertilization -- they're Aliens.
So now they're aliens again? I thought Sir Ridley made them into Weyland engineered synthetic human engineered bioweapon thing. :P

Heh, oh man, I bet Kane's Son is going to retroactively have Weyland/Yutani's logo tattooed onto it's DNA all Bladerunner 2049 style.

Scorpio

A.I. is more alien than creatures from other worlds.  Creatures from other worlds is just hypothetical.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 20, 2018, 07:48:49 AM

Comeon gents, enough of the Scorpio vs SM/Everyone. Let's not antagonise each other.

It's my fault, I keep forgetting the pecking order around here.

Xenomorphine

'Alien Resurrection' makes it clear Queens are parthenogenic. They're born without any need to mate.

In nature, both methods of reproduction have their pros and cons...

Creatures which need to mate, reproduce slower and, in the short term, can be out-competed for resources by those which reproduce as soon as they come of age. However, the chances of genetic mutation are vastly reduced. It happens, but they din't really have the benefit of genetic diversity, in the same way as one creature fertilising another would do. So, when something like a disease occurs, parthenogenesis means less likelihood of one amongst their number having a natural immunity to it. Evolution will probably take a much longer time for similar reasons, too.

With the fictional Alien, it effectively has the best of both worlds, since the normal adults aren't typically the ones which would prodice next Queens (and, thus, the next generation), but they do seem to somehow analyse and assimilate some genetic information from their hosts. So, one host might have some kind of useful environmental attribute, while another might not. The resulting Aliens might then have one of them which is better suited for their immediate survival. All of this in a system where the Queen doesn't require a mate and can just begin laying eggs and allow them to serve as her own protection.

I knew those environmental studies lessons in college would come in useful, some future day... :)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 21, 2018, 03:14:57 AM
'Alien Resurrection' makes it clear Queens are parthenogenic. They're born without any need to mate.
Came here to post exactly this.

Thanks for elaborating on it though, it's interesting stuff. :)

NetworkATTH

So you're saying the Queen decided to get made up and wear high heels and get her teeth done for nothing

Scorpio

In nature,

It's not nature.  A monkey can't mate with a duck.  A giraffe can't mate with a hippo.  And produce any offspring.

These are biologically/technologically engineered creatures, that are able to do crazy stuff that nature would never allow.

judge death

judge death

No, the queens are born ready to lay eggs once they are old enough, and are asexual and no need for mating. More perfect in that way in my opinion. Only thing that havent been found out is how they start egg production and how the eggsack grows out and ends up hanging in the roof.

The queen in alien resurrection seems to have human like ovaries and from the script and comic it seems the scientist made some experiment on that to make her stop egglaying, maybe by fertilizing her somehow, or she did it herself as she reproduce eggs normaly without such needs.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 22, 2018, 01:31:15 AM

In nature,

It's not nature.  A monkey can't mate with a duck.  A giraffe can't mate with a hippo.  And produce any offspring.

These are biologically/technologically engineered creatures, that are able to do crazy stuff that nature would never allow.
I'm not sure he was actually saying the Aliens abide by terrestrial laws of nature, I took it more as him giving related factoids about the real world.

The Cruentus

I have never actually thought too heavily on this, I mean if it is anything like ants or termites then a Queen does get fertilized but Resurrection is somewhat clear (I say somewhat because they are mutants) in that the Queen came first and was the only Xenomorph, yet still laid eggs without the need for a drone. The thing is the eggs are not really the true egg, its more of an incubation system for the actual "egg" layer, the facehugger. so the rules of typical insects like ants/termites may not apply.

It is based on nature, as there are parasites that use a host to gestate in but those happen through infection or in the case of the tarantula being implanted by a wasp for example. The facehugger doesn't apparently lay/infect/implant the host with an egg or embryo. Its more like a virus or tumor that alters host cells and forces the host body to actually create the emryo....which I am not sure there is precedent for in the natural world.  :laugh:

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 21, 2018, 01:26:24 AM
A.I. is more alien than creatures from other worlds.  Creatures from other worlds is just hypothetical.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 20, 2018, 07:48:49 AM

Comeon gents, enough of the Scorpio vs SM/Everyone. Let's not antagonise each other.

It's my fault, I keep forgetting the pecking order around here.

What pecking order? everyone is pretty much equal, or at least they are supposed to be since no one is above the rules.

Scorpio

Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 22, 2018, 02:28:31 PM

What pecking order? everyone is pretty much equal, or at least they are supposed to be since no one is above the rules.

In every group you have 3 types of people.  The good ol boys, the brown nosers and the trouble makers.  I suppose I fall into the category of 'trouble maker', because I can't get into the good ol boy or brown noser crowd.  That's just the way it is in every group. 

It is what it is.

Local Trouble

NetworkATTH

Do aliens dream of giant milfs

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Apr 20, 2018, 11:51:54 AM
No I meant the 'gent' bit.

Wait, so for ten years I've been reading your posts and my minds eye would always see an H.P. Lovecraft looking dude smoking a pipe, surrounded by stacks of academic books, and now you're telling me that was all just a figment of my imagination? DAMN.

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Apr 20, 2018, 01:36:53 AM
Alien on Alien sex, I've already got about 80 fanfiction ideas

Pretty sure Alien Slof has you covered.

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 23, 2018, 01:53:17 AM
In every group you have 3 types of people.  The good ol boys, the brown nosers and the trouble makers.  I suppose I fall into the category of 'trouble maker', because I can't get into the good ol boy or brown noser crowd.  That's just the way it is in every group. 

That's because you go out of your way to disagree with everything. You're like the Anti-Brett. Instead of "right" you walk into every conversation and give a good Austrian "WRONG."

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Apr 23, 2018, 03:20:17 AM
Do aliens dream of giant milfs

XILFS.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed