How obsessed of Alien/Predator are you?

Started by bobby brown, Apr 18, 2018, 07:53:08 PM

Author
How obsessed of Alien/Predator are you? (Read 3,429 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 19, 2018, 01:45:22 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 19, 2018, 05:33:48 AM
I'm so obsessed, I'm having my cranium surgically elongated.

And your eyes covered with skin grafted from your ass?

You know how I feel about the skull.  >:(

Corporal Hicks

That's why I thought you'd cover your eyes up!

Local Trouble

And I will.  I'm committed to my fandom.

Corporal Hicks

Make sure you throw some snaps up when you do.

whiterabbit

Actually on the thing about tattoos, I do see a lot of alien tattoos. Especially near military bases. Which isn't surprising I suppose.

NetworkATTH

I saw the design of the Giger's monster as a kid and it always stuck with me because, well it's fairly interesting looking. Not just that but, the whole life cycle was fascinating to me, probably because I understood little of the subtext. Caught the movies on TV when I could, and played the games. Just thought "I can't wait what new interesting things hold for the future!" and nothing came. It all sort of just looks the same, there's not much to a monster movie anymore, which is fine but pretending its more than it is, is what I hate about modern "monster movie" Hollywood today, they're so focused on these photoshop concept monsters that when the script demands that we're supposed to take this as seriously as possible, there's really nothing there in the final product for me to care enough to finish it. I mean I'm sure there's a lot you can do with digital technology today to do something unique but there's a studio behind anyone at any given time poking your shoulder saying "You can't give the monster a penis for a head"

And where the fun is that anyways

I'm beating a dead horse a billion people have beaten before though. I just, love Alien because I understood it more and more as I grew up, and yet I'm still entranced by the forest of lights and detail the Nostromo has and its lived in look. Everything in the movie is just built for intoxication and design overload that it's hard not to fall in love with the movie.

I like predator a lot, but the whole setting of alien is so fascinating to me that I can't help to love it. The design Giger did for everything is just, so unmatched to this day. The crashed derelict, the biomechanical space jockey space suit, the planet, the costumes, the Nostromo and all its little details inside and out, how you can instantly forget these people are actors and not really pissed off beat up laborers who want to get home

All of it is  just, charming. I don't know much my bias is effecting this and how much rose tinted glasses are coming into play, but I'm hardly the only one

The Old One

The Old One

To a dangerous degree.

Dean Learner

After seeing Alien 3 on VHS at eleven, I spent most of my teenage years obsessed with the franchise. While my passion dipped slightly since there's other stuff in life, I'm still quietly obsessed with the films and extended universe. Two years ago I gave my daughter the middle name of Ripley and my wife talks me out of getting a tattoo of Mike Mignola's art of the Alien.

Shaun

I have an obsession.

I remember watching the movies when I was 5 or 6 and being absolutely terrified. I'd check under my bed and in the wardrobe for monsters. I'd then go sleep in my parents bed. Yet, in saying that I was always fascinated by it. I remember going to the video store with my parents as they'd rent new releases etc and more often than not, I'd go and find Alien and Aliens just to look at the cover.

Growing up, I always found it challenge to watch the movies (Alien and Aliens) right through. Typically with Alien, I'd struggle to watch the Chest burster scene and Lambert/Parkers demise. In Aliens, I'd always seem to watch until Vasquez death scene.

Now as an adult, I watch the movies (all of them) every 2 or 3 months. Find myself on various Facebook groups, listening to podcasts, playing the games, reading the books and generally ensconcing myself with anything Alien related.

My wife will not sit through any of the films for me, but that doesn't phase me. I think she can piece together all the movies by now!

To me, this series is everything. From being terrified to it now being my happy place. I'm just glad that there are communities of fans that I can relate to.

I'd get Alien tattoos if I could, but I have psoriasis (skin condition) so I don't think I can.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Shaun on May 27, 2018, 11:30:21 PM
I remember watching the movies when I was 5 or 6 and being absolutely terrified. I'd check under my bed and in the wardrobe for monsters. I'd then go sleep in my parents bed. Yet, in saying that I was always fascinated by it. I remember going to the video store with my parents as they'd rent new releases etc and more often than not, I'd go and find Alien and Aliens just to look at the cover.

Growing up, I always found it challenge to watch the movies (Alien and Aliens) right through. Typically with Alien, I'd struggle to watch the Chest burster scene and Lambert/Parkers demise. In Aliens, I'd always seem to watch until Vasquez death scene.

The fascination with the fear is very much my story too. I first saw Aliens when I was 5 after going on the Aliens: Ride at the Speed of Fright ride. We made it up until the chestburster scene and I just cacked my pants and my Dad had to turn the film off. I tried again when I was 7 but same result. But I was still fascinated and obsessed with what little I knew. I slept facedown for 5 years - logic being the chestburster wouldn't be able to come out if my chest was against the mattress.

It wasn't until I was 10 when I walked in on my Dad watching the film that I finally saw it all the way through. I saw what he was just putting on, about-faced and tried to leave the room. He made me stay and face my fears. We watched it in bits over a few days but I remember really wanted to get home from football practice and finish watching it. Then we watched Alien 3(despite Dad's warnings) that night.

For the next few years until I got the Alien Legacy boxset, I would check the TV times every week so I could try and catch any showings on Sky. I eventually managed to record Aliens: Special Edition and Alien on VHS.

QuoteNow as an adult, I watch the movies (all of them) every 2 or 3 months. Find myself on various Facebook groups, listening to podcasts, playing the games, reading the books and generally ensconcing myself with anything Alien related.

Oh, it's the best way! I just wish I had more time to still revisit Alien and Predator really often but still check out all the new stuff! What groups are you part of, if you don't mind me asking?

QuoteTo me, this series is everything. From being terrified to it now being my happy place. I'm just glad that there are communities of fans that I can relate to.

I really enjoyed your story, Shaun. Thanks for sharing.  :)

QuoteI'd get Alien tattoos if I could, but I have psoriasis (skin condition) so I don't think I can.

Ah, that's a shame mate! I'd really like one too but I'm too much of a wuss. Don't think I could cope with the pain of getting one done.

Quote from: Dean Learner on May 27, 2018, 12:04:22 PM
After seeing Alien 3 on VHS at eleven, I spent most of my teenage years obsessed with the franchise. While my passion dipped slightly since there's other stuff in life, I'm still quietly obsessed with the films and extended universe. Two years ago I gave my daughter the middle name of Ripley and my wife talks me out of getting a tattoo of Mike Mignola's art of the Alien.

I love hearing stories like that! One of my buddies gave his daughter the middle name Ellen after Ripley. I've gotta try and swing something like that when the time comes. I'm not sure I'll get away with it as I'm quite insistent of being able to name my son after me and my Dad so I can nickname him Trip (for Enterprise).

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: bobby brown on Apr 18, 2018, 07:53:08 PM
Currently, I visit these board several times a day, even during work breaks. I'm googling and youtubing alien related stuff all day

I have been a fan of aliens since around 6 I think. It has come and gone through periods, but the last ten years its been nonstop.
I just never get sick of it. "ALIEN ALIEN ALIEN" my girlfriend and I sometimes teases my obsession. the last movie came out a year ago and I still harbor a deep need to discuss it in detail.

Quote from: Dean Learner on May 27, 2018, 12:04:22 PM
Two years ago I gave my daughter the middle name of Ripley and my wife talks me out of getting a tattoo of Mike Mignola's art of the Alien.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 19, 2018, 05:33:48 AM
I'm so obsessed, I'm having my cranium surgically elongated.

Buncha filthy casuals on here. Is there no hardcore fans on AVP Galaxy?

Local Trouble

We can't all be SM.

TheSailingRabbit

Late to the party, but it's only been a year since diving into the fandom, and I'd say I'm borderline obsessive. I center on a few particular things, but, still. And I'd like a tattoo of Hudson on my right shoulder.

windebieste

ur all noobs.  lol.   :laugh:

-Windebieste.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 03, 2018, 11:58:57 AM
ur all noobs.  lol.   :laugh:

-Windebieste.

We were all noobs at one point.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed