Predators: a second ship? - spoilers

Started by Jutland, Apr 08, 2018, 02:30:25 PM

Author
Predators: a second ship? - spoilers (Read 1,506 times)

Jutland

Hi everyone, just registered and this is my first post. I watched Predators on DVD last night and really enjoyed it. I had some thoughts while watching it and despite spending a couple of hours browsing old threads here I cannot see them mentioned, so here goes.

Firstly, Noland is probably insane, which calls into question pretty much all of his claims. He has an imaginary friend and if this was earth he would be cooped up in a hospital for his own safety. We only have his word for it that he's been on the planet ten seasons. He might only have arrived a few weeks or months before, and then gone mad. Also, we only have his word that he's killed 2 or 3 predators. Instead he may have killed none. He may have just picked up a suit from a predator that was killed by someone else, or killed by another predator. (No way to prove any of that, I know.)

Secondly, it occurred to me while watching the film that if the two tribes of predators hated each other that much then they probably would not have arrived together. If they did not, then each tribe would have arrived on its own ship and set up its own camp. They both have the same goals: to find, track and kill the other tribe's members and to find, track and kill the new game that falls from the sky each day.

If this is true, then there's a second ship somewhere.

skull-splitter

It is sort of likely, yes.

whiterabbit

Considering how Tracker outright blows away Nolan, I think he is telling the truth about killing 2 or 3 Predators. Talk about holding a grudge.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Well being stranded on another planet where you are constantly fighting for your life and being hunted would make anyone go insane- especially given the chances of ever escaping are highly unlikely. I think Nolan is there to foreshadow what could come of Royce. Nolan is a guy who has no qualms with sacrificing other people in order to stay alive and Royce showed moments of doing the same. Of course we see Royce come through for the motley crew, especially for Isabelle, but if you give him a few more months/years and maybe take away Isabelle, who brings out his more humane emotions, then you would likely get Nolan.

While perhaps Nolan's words and experiences can only be taken with a grain of salt due to his mental state, I still think there is some truth as he doesn't seem that far gone; he still knows enough to use sarcasm and such. I think the days have only blended together at that point, so much so that even killing predators has become such a blur when you'd think it would be an amazing feat that would stand out.

Something that I speculated about was exactly how things played out before we see classic tied to the totem. Are there politics involved when these two species set up hunts on the preserves? Or perhaps they attempt to comingle but in this case a sort of rebellion took place...? Both preds had access to the same ship and the fact that classic pred is left tied up to suffer and possibly watch other clan members get killed off (seeing as there was a freshly polished predator skull on the ground) makes me think something along the lines of a mutiny took place.   

funk_master_chunk

funk_master_chunk

I always imagined the Super Preds turned up to spoil the fun of the Classic Preds.

Like the game reserve was the Classics' turf but the super Preds turned up for shits and giggles to just wipe them and everything else there out.

Keeping one alive to show him what the 'real' Preds are all about, type-of-thing; but the cycle was in play and a group of pesky humans turned up and it went to pot.

As for a series, I think they'd do well to keep the main focus away from the Pred, if that makes sense?

Like a murder mystery type deal where all kinds of brutal murders and/or kidnappings/disappearances keep happening. Naturally, it'd be obvious to the audience, but with good writing you could build a suspenseful horror/thriller series.

I'd imagine something like that would fall more in-line with Pred 2, though; and would run the risk of being a serialised, carbon copy of it.

PredBabe

Quote from: funk_master_chunk on Apr 19, 2018, 08:46:45 PM
I always imagined the Super Preds turned up to spoil the fun of the Classic Preds.

Like the game reserve was the Classics' turf but the super Preds turned up for shits and giggles to just wipe them and everything else there out.

Keeping one alive to show him what the 'real' Preds are all about, type-of-thing; but the cycle was in play and a group of pesky humans turned up and it went to pot.

I could see that being a realm of possibility, though the way Nolan described their "blood feud"  made it sound like the Super Preds were regulars on the preserve seeing as he knew the feud has been going on for "a long time".

Random thought crossed my mind while watching one of The Hunger Games flicks the other night (I know its a cheesy series but I don't care- its entertaining), maybe the two pred species have a mutual understanding that once they are on the preserve anything is game and it becomes a gladiator -esque hunt. How they arrive there is up for interpretation.   

TheGreatSpoondini

So there are a ton of questions in this movie for me. One of the first big questions is who's hunting ground is this? Yautja in general or just the bad blood clans? And who is supplying the drops? More bad blood? Yautja hunt for sport, honor, trophies, and glory.... so if you are the bad ass rebel version of an already bad ass race....why is your metaphorical food being handed to you.... Lazy.... and not bad ass. Bad bloods go into hiding and hunt from the shadows ... so you are telling me these 3 or possibly more are just chilling on a planet doing their thing with no repercussions?

Next little bit is about the crucified Pred. Clearly he was not the only one of his kind as we see a skull on the ground of a pred that suffered the same fate. It is known that when a Yautja dies his records or some of them are sent back to the home world to study and learn from. Bad blood casts are highly looked down on and are actually hunted by clans because of their dishonor. So with that being said.... Why are there not more "Honorable" Preds on the reserve looking for the bad blood after receiving information on their location?

Huggs

I always figured the planet was broken into several different hunting zones. I'd say the ship belonged to the original predator, as he was the one who started it remotely. As for the 3 larger predators, perhaps they're just the poachers of the predator world. A bunch of trophy stealing hooligans, out for blood. Except for the predator skull on the ground, do we know for a fact that was even their camp? or did they just perform the old hostile takeover?

TheGreatSpoondini

TheGreatSpoondini

Damn Solid Point!!! That would explain a lot. So in the Yautja race they have to perform a hunt to become blooded right? Its not only Xenos they hunt so maybe this was a test for young blooded and the Bad blood came in and just wrecked them. Would explain the lack of reinforcements ect. Would also explain why the alpha had no issue dispatching Nolan so fast (just want to rack up the body count). However..... he did make note that it took him long enough to find him.... so maybe this wasn't a quick process? Maybe the Predators Nolan killed were from both sides of the fence?

The only thing I don't agree with on the last post was the remote ship.... The alpha did self destruct it with his wrist computer so...could be a universal thing?

PredBabe

PredBabe

That would be stupid on their part if it is universal, wars would end easily if they all knew the same code to blow up each others ships. It's likely the super preds commandeered the ship seeing as they stripped him of all his possessions and dignity. That or there is some level of commingling since they knowingly share a planetary preserve. 

funk_master_chunk

Quote from: PredBabe on Apr 22, 2018, 01:14:20 AM

I could see that being a realm of possibility, though the way Nolan described their "blood feud"  made it sound like the Super Preds were regulars on the preserve seeing as he knew the feud has been going on for "a long time".

Random thought crossed my mind while watching one of The Hunger Games flicks the other night (I know its a cheesy series but I don't care- its entertaining), maybe the two pred species have a mutual understanding that once they are on the preserve anything is game and it becomes a gladiator -esque hunt. How they arrive there is up for interpretation.   

I did think that at first, but if they were warring, there's no chance either would enter negotiations with the other. I think 'Classics' have their honour code while the Supers just looked like they were out to cause mayhem, IMO.

I do wonder if these guys could be the upgrade(s) in the new film, though - as, hasn't Shane Black said that this film is going to be canonical, and take place between P2 and Predators?

Could be that the super preds are the upgrade's clan. Would be cool, I guess, if they were rebel Preds, sick of the honour code who just wanted to be the best by any means and took to genetic enhancements as they grew tired of honour hunts and just had a thirst for blood and killing. That would fit in with how they knew about the hunting zone and the ship's self-destruct etc. Plus, and I know this will sound silly; but the way the classic goes to fight the super screams 'honour'. Also the way the Super 'reveals' itself before killing him is like "Look at me!". Almost as if he's showing Classic what he's become/why he's superior now. What I'm trying to say is that it looks like there's history between the two.

Just food for thought, though.

Original Predator

Quote from: TheGreatSpoondini on Apr 25, 2018, 01:25:09 PM
So there are a ton of questions in this movie for me. One of the first big questions is who's hunting ground is this? Yautja in general or just the bad blood clans? And who is supplying the drops? More bad blood? Yautja hunt for sport, honor, trophies, and glory.... so if you are the bad ass rebel version of an already bad ass race....why is your metaphorical food being handed to you.... Lazy.... and not bad ass. Bad bloods go into hiding and hunt from the shadows ... so you are telling me these 3 or possibly more are just chilling on a planet doing their thing with no repercussions?

Next little bit is about the crucified Pred. Clearly he was not the only one of his kind as we see a skull on the ground of a pred that suffered the same fate. It is known that when a Yautja dies his records or some of them are sent back to the home world to study and learn from. Bad blood casts are highly looked down on and are actually hunted by clans because of their dishonor. So with that being said.... Why are there not more "Honorable" Preds on the reserve looking for the bad blood after receiving information on their location?

All great questions.

Just proves how little thought went into this movie. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed