The Predator Set Reports

Started by ace3g, Apr 07, 2018, 02:54:30 PM

Author
The Predator Set Reports (Read 47,127 times)

D88M

D88M

Quote from: Hemi on May 14, 2018, 02:53:36 PM
Quote from: D88M on May 12, 2018, 01:07:07 PM
Quote from: Hemi on May 12, 2018, 09:43:18 AM
Quote from: D88M on May 12, 2018, 02:13:14 AM
The fact that he is using the Shurikens instead of the Disc weapon tells me everything i need to know, as if IM3 was not enough proof that he has NO idea what is the essence of a character

Iron Man 3 was a great movie. And judging a movie because the baddy uses a certain weapon is lame.

Is not,

We the people disagree with you... (and also the box office numbers for that matter...)

The mcu is targeted at people who never read a Marvel comic book, and is ridiculous that say that a movie is good because it did well at the box office, is totally unrelated. Infinity War was the first attempt of disney of making something resembling a Marvel movie, still, lots of forced humor. What i am trying to say is that IM3 has nothing to do with anything Iron Man related, i cant even find Stark in that movie, is a generic blockbuster with a famous brand in it.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on May 14, 2018, 03:07:09 PM
Iron Man 3 is easily my favourite Marvel movie, and i said that long before Black was even considered writing/directing the next Predator. Part of it's charm is that the Character of Tony Stark is much more grounded in reality, not so much anymore with the newer movies, which is a shame.

And yes, i f**king love the Mandarin twist, what a kick in the nuts that was... in a good way, no one saw that coming and that was something quite special in the world of crowded "going by the numbers" summer tentpoles.

And yes, pretty much everyone i know liked it as well, especially that twist.

The movie tried to be a subversion of what we expect of a superhero movie, i get it, but it was not well done enough to pull it off, the humor was pretty forced and dumb but that is a staple of the mcu at this point. Stark is the most out of character in this movie, but i havent watched it again since that awful first time, but IM always had lots of science fiction, i know that since BB all superhero movies try to be "grounded and realistic" but that is missing the point of making that kind of movie. And the lied with the tone the movie was gonna have in the trailers.

Th Mandarin twist was awful, if they wanted to do that (pretty out of place in a IM movie btw) they could have done it without wasting a character.

Everybody that i know that has read comic books pretty much dislikes most of the mcu, they are not very related to them in anyway and it shows a lot the hand of disney in it. I know someone who LOVES the mcu, but has never read a comic book, so he does not know how poor the adaptations are (for the most part, there is good stuff in the mcu)

What i mean by all this is that in IM3, which is the only movie by this director i have seen, and where Shane had complete creative freedom and made a bad movie, so i dont have faith at all in him as a filmmaker.

Regarding those Predator casting it would be nice to see the auditions and how they will be moving in the movie.

azamultic

azamultic

D88M

"i cant even find Stark in that movie, is a generic blockbuster with a famous brand in it." Who is the Stark for you? In Iron Man 3 I saw the same Stark that used to be in all other MCU movies, but at more vulnerable state. He finally felt more relatable compare to all other movies where he is like superhuman, who never panics. But also we had a reason why he changed and act different than before.
   Also I did read comics, and watched all marvel movies, for me they are not perfect, and not my favourite type of movies, but I do can enjoy them, and respect the amaunt of quality of production they put into it.

Now box office is relatable to the degree about how good is the movie, of course we have tone of movies which breaking box office and being terrible movies, and also movies which are really good, but doing poorly in box office, but still box office related to this part of the conversation.

Sugesting watching "The Nice Guys" or "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" they Shane's movies and they are good.  ;)

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: azamultic on May 15, 2018, 10:10:42 AM
D88M

"i cant even find Stark in that movie, is a generic blockbuster with a famous brand in it." Who is the Stark for you? In Iron Man 3 I saw the same Stark that used to be in all other MCU movies, but at more vulnerable state. He finally felt more relatable compare to all other movies where he is like superhuman, who never panics. But also we had a reason why he changed and act different than before.
   Also I did read comics, and watched all marvel movies, for me they are not perfect, and not my favourite type of movies, but I do can enjoy them, and respect the amaunt of quality of production they put into it.

Now box office is relatable to the degree about how good is the movie, of course we have tone of movies which breaking box office and being terrible movies, and also movies which are really good, but doing poorly in box office, but still box office related to this part of the conversation.

Sugesting watching "The Nice Guys" or "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" they Shane's movies and they are good.  ;)

Or "The Long Kiss Goodnight", one of his best IMO.  That should add some comfort and optimism until September :) It did me anyway.  This at least proves that he can do heavy action with a respectable amount of humor.

Danversity

Danversity

Hi the Mandarin twist was freaking brilliant and one of the best decisions ever made in the MCU.

azamultic

azamultic

Wysps totally forgot about that movie!  :o

yautjapet

yautjapet

Quote from: azamultic on May 15, 2018, 10:10:42 AM
D88M

This is why I really enjoyed IM3. Instead of brushing off violent battles and near-death experiences like they're just another day's work, we got a glimpse of a normally cocky, self-assured hero dealing with the emotional fallout of what he's been through. And not the usual grimdark brooding but truly having to deal with fear and trauma. It was refreshing and compelling to me. And I liked the Mandarin twist, honestly, though I'll admit to not being familiar with the comics at all and what was changed.

So yeah, while I have concerns about The Predator, Black's work on IM3 isn't one of them!

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Danversity on May 15, 2018, 04:18:36 PM
Hi the Mandarin twist was freaking brilliant and one of the best decisions ever made in the MCU.

They decided to completely delete an entire character.. not sure that qualifies as a great decision.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Highland on May 16, 2018, 05:25:50 AM

They decided to completely delete an entire character.. not sure that qualifies as a great decision.
It does, instead of giving us another cliché super evil boogeyman, shooting rings from outer space they grounded it much more in reality, because most real life villains come with suits and pencils.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: Highland on May 16, 2018, 05:25:50 AM

Could easily do a double twist and have him come back.

Not very plausible though and this twist made the Mandarin in his final form through Guy Pierce a very generic evil mastermind.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

They established it wasn't actually the Mandarin. He still exists within the MCU and wasn't happy about the fella impersonating him.

Batalien

Batalien

Frankly the reason they got away with the twist was because Mandarin is really not an important villain. His last appearance was six years ago where he was killed by son of Obadiah Stane. Even before that he never really made a impact or had any lasting effect in Marvel universe.

Also ever since Avengers movie happened and turned Tony Stark into A level superhero. Iron Man is now always in front and center of crossovers and mega-events. He no longer has time to deal with foes in his rogue gallery, where honestly everyone else except Mandarin, sucks.

I never really heard of someone calling themselves Mandarin fan. It surprises me that people are still upset over Mandarin twist. I believe China had something to do with no wanting real Mandarin since even though Mandarin got a modernized revamp origin, his original story was always a racist Fu-Manchu stereotype.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/the-predator/273522/the-predator-reinventing-the-myth-on-the-set

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/the-predator/273544/the-predator-olivia-munn-finds-god-and-a-good-role-among-aliens

Mostly the same stuff but there was a little bit about the new Predator design -

QuoteWhen Trish Monaghan shows us the new armor she's designed for the Predator, for instance, it has a medieval quality to its design, as if it belongs to a ritualized order of knights. One element she is particularly proud of is his new armor his back-flap, evoking feudal Japan.

"It's a bit Samurai, so it was able to cover, so he wasn't too exposed," she says of how it covers some of the musculature in the legs while still showcasing the familiar shape of what Schwarzenegger memorably deemed to be "one ugly motherf**ker."

azamultic

azamultic

I knew they were using medievil motives   ;)

The Wolverine Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 16, 2018, 07:19:38 PM
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/the-predator/273522/the-predator-reinventing-the-myth-on-the-set

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/the-predator/273544/the-predator-olivia-munn-finds-god-and-a-good-role-among-aliens

Mostly the same stuff but there was a little bit about the new Predator design -

QuoteWhen Trish Monaghan shows us the new armor she's designed for the Predator, for instance, it has a medieval quality to its design, as if it belongs to a ritualized order of knights. One element she is particularly proud of is his new armor his back-flap, evoking feudal Japan.

"It's a bit Samurai, so it was able to cover, so he wasn't too exposed," she says of how it covers some of the musculature in the legs while still showcasing the familiar shape of what Schwarzenegger memorably deemed to be "one ugly motherf**ker."

I defiantly loves these parts of the article

"It does play a little slower, maybe like a Western, which would lend itself to that fear factor." It also is a promising departure from the original film, which Holbrook says he's a fan of—and that Shane Black apparently had running on loop for two weeks in the production office of the film before shooting started—but the star repeatedly demurs at comparisons with his Quinn to Arnold Schwarzenegger's Übermensch in the original 1987 picture.

Intriguingly, this extra dimension came intentionally from pushing the cast to via improvise and self-edit. Recalling how the first draft risked being a 150 pages long, Black says he turned to Fred Dekker and said they can't define seven characters in dialogue; they have to cast them.

When Trish Monaghan shows us the new armor she's designed for the Predator, for instance, it has a medieval quality to its design, as if it belongs to a ritualized order of knights. One element she is particularly proud of is his new armor his back-flap, evoking feudal Japan.

"It's a bit Samurai, so it was able to cover, so he wasn't too exposed," she says of how it covers some of the musculature in the legs while still showcasing the familiar shape of what Schwarzenegger memorably deemed to be "one ugly motherf++ker."

Were you able to do any improv on the set?

On this movie, yeah. That's what's so great about Shane: he's an actor's director and he's also a writer. So a lot of times writers can be so married to a script, and a lot of times a director looks at the script as a Bible, but then you end up losing a lot of life that comes up that you wouldn't normally capture on camera. I've worked with directors where they shoot this, they shoot this, and then they go back into the editing bay, and they test it for the audience, and they go, "I love that character, that small character, did you get that?" But they didn't get it, because they weren't shooting.

So this movie, there's been so much collaboration and just in the moment, just everyone coming up with stuff and thinking of stuff, and being present, that helps make the movie feel really fun and fresh, and alive.

Xerxész

Xerxész

I don't know. I still stay my opinion that you can say everything you want in order to attract the audience...it's simple marketing. But what you got finally, that's the real thing.
I say wait for the movie and after that you can praise Shane if he deserves.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed