The Predator Set Reports

Started by ace3g, Apr 07, 2018, 02:54:30 PM

Author
The Predator Set Reports (Read 47,137 times)

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: Wysps on May 12, 2018, 09:49:18 PM
Spoiler
"Pit Bulls...'cause they have to play a very angry, mean role and sometimes a nicer role."
I'm nervous about this  :-[ It might be an execution thing, but I so don't want nice predator doggies walking alongside humans or taking them on as their masters.  An animal with a predator face shouldn't be nice or cute...I don't think I could get used to this.  The movie might end up making it acceptable, but I don't see how it can be done.
[close]

Have you read the script?
There are much worse things regarding the dogs... ;)

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: burkewhimp on May 13, 2018, 01:30:42 AM
It's bitch raping time

Imagine watching Predators and thinking that was a "cool line"

Imagine thinking that's a cool line to reference in the forums.

wat  ??? :-X

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: skhellter on May 13, 2018, 10:18:50 AM
Quote from: burkewhimp on May 13, 2018, 01:30:42 AM
It's bitch raping time

Imagine watching Predators and thinking that was a "cool line"

Imagine thinking that's a cool line to reference in the forums.

wat  ??? :-X

I thought it was funny as Hell. I still do, and I will neither apologize, nor will I be made to feel weird for it. It was funny.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: azamultic on May 12, 2018, 06:03:07 PM
Also I think it's part of the reason why a lot of people being angry and negative to the fact that they are not a fan of the movie, but fan of the "Predator" himself.

Spot on ! Couldn't agree more !

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: yautjapet on May 13, 2018, 12:40:39 AM
The interviews just seem to be pouring out now. 

Quote from: ace3g on May 12, 2018, 12:47:10 AM
[Set Visit] Shane Black and Crew Talk Practical Effects and Predator Dogs in 'The Predator''

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3432561/set-visit-bleeds-can-kill-effects-design-predator/

Spoiler
"Pit Bulls...'cause they have to play a very angry, mean role and sometimes a nicer role."
I'm nervous about this  :-[ It might be an execution thing, but I so don't want nice predator doggies walking alongside humans or taking them on as their masters.  An animal with a predator face shouldn't be nice or cute...I don't think I could get used to this.  The movie might end up making it acceptable, but I don't see how it can be done.
[close]

I'm really leery about the idea of "predator dogs" in general. I just have a hard time seeing them using dogs (I'm talking classic pred, not superpreds) to aid them in their hunt, it feels like it would go against the idea of individual skill and self-sufficiency. I guess it's just not something I personally am interested in seeing, but that's just me.

But your name is yautjapet, how can you not like the concept of predator dogs?!

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 13, 2018, 05:15:40 AM
Predators did a pretty good job with the Predator dogs. The way they were likened to real world hunters by Royce was very much in keeping with the original films away of expositing about the creature and it's motives.

Whether they end up being the same beasty or not, well. I actually hope they at least take some cues from the Predators hound designs.

Agreed.

I like to think it depends of the type of hunt that the predators are looking to have. If they don't want to stalk and want to flush out their prey, then they'll use the hounds like they would a weapon. Maybe they're something they use in times of war as well.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Xerxész on May 13, 2018, 09:54:31 AM
Spoiler
[close]

Have you read the script?
There are much worse things regarding the dogs... ;)

I have, regrettably :laugh: Would have been much better off just waiting to watch the movie.  Joke's on me.  And I'm with you, by the way - there are better things to worry about, but it still happens to be a pain point for me, as silly as it is.

Quote from: PredBabe on May 13, 2018, 02:18:01 PM

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 13, 2018, 05:15:40 AM
Predators did a pretty good job with the Predator dogs. The way they were likened to real world hunters by Royce was very much in keeping with the original films away of expositing about the creature and it's motives.

Whether they end up being the same beasty or not, well. I actually hope they at least take some cues from the Predators hound designs.

Agreed.

I like to think it depends of the type of hunt that the predators are looking to have. If they don't want to stalk and want to flush out their prey, then they'll use the hounds like they would a weapon. Maybe they're something they use in times of war as well.

The leaked content is suggesting that this is ultimately not the role that one or some of the hounds will play, and it will be more like I described in my post  :'(  I do hope they end up changing it though, and it ends up being more like what happened in the Predators movie - which I can totally dig.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

QuoteRothbart explains the inspiration for the dogs was not taken from the similar creatures seen in the film Predators.

"We try to baseline it off...the Predator. So we try to keep it where at least we have some similar aspects to the dog that we can bring back to the Predator. They have some level of dreads to them." He emphasizes the importance of having an animal in reality to base the visual effect off of. The idea being the human brain can more quickly relate to a digital creation based in reality than something completely brand new and outside the box. So, what breed did they land on for the alien mutt's inspiration? "Pit Bulls...'cause they have to play a very angry, mean role and sometimes a nicer role."

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3432561/set-visit-bleeds-can-kill-effects-design-predator/

I'm a little worried about it being more based on the Predators themselves than the Hounds from Predators. I'm really not keen on them overdoing the hybrid-thing.

Quote from: Stealth_Hunter on May 12, 2018, 02:26:35 AM

[Set Visit] Shane Black and Crew Talk Practical Effects and Predator Dogs in 'The Predator''

QuoteI can confirm that despite some rumors of motion capture being used for the Predator, it appears we are getting a good old fashioned man in a suit for our main man.

Rothbart also reiterated the Predators are being kept as live action as possible with only a few shots being designed for VFX.

Outstanding  ;D

Well we know this isn't strictly true. There's a mixture of both.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2018, 09:23:58 AM
QuoteRothbart explains the inspiration for the dogs was not taken from the similar creatures seen in the film Predators.

"We try to baseline it off...the Predator. So we try to keep it where at least we have some similar aspects to the dog that we can bring back to the Predator. They have some level of dreads to them." He emphasizes the importance of having an animal in reality to base the visual effect off of. The idea being the human brain can more quickly relate to a digital creation based in reality than something completely brand new and outside the box. So, what breed did they land on for the alien mutt's inspiration? "Pit Bulls...'cause they have to play a very angry, mean role and sometimes a nicer role."

I'm a little worried about it being more based on the Predators themselves than the Hounds from Predators. I'm really not keen on them overdoing the hybrid-thing.

Quote from: Stealth_Hunter on May 12, 2018, 02:26:35 AM

QuoteI can confirm that despite some rumors of motion capture being used for the Predator, it appears we are getting a good old fashioned man in a suit for our main man.

Rothbart also reiterated the Predators are being kept as live action as possible with only a few shots being designed for VFX.

Outstanding  ;D

Well we know this isn't strictly true. There's a mixture of both.
You mean upgrade will be a mixture of motion capture and real suit?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I mean as in some Predator's are costumes, the Upgrade AFAIK is the mo-cap. To the best of my knowledge there wasn't a practical suit for him.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2018, 10:37:02 AM
I mean as in some Predator's are costumes, the Upgrade AFAIK is the mo-cap. To the best of my knowledge there wasn't a practical suit for him.
Well, if he's really a beast maybe its for the better, doing things old school for the sake of it isn't the right way either. We already have classic Predator suits, so maybe we get the best of both worlds.

I like the Jurassic Park approach they take.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

As long as it looks awesome, I'm not too fussed on how exactly it's achieved.

dallevalle

dallevalle

im kinda scared about the upgrade if it looks anything close to this then we are doomed ( resident evil retribution giant licker) xD

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: dallevalle on May 14, 2018, 12:22:38 PM
im kinda scared about the upgrade if it looks anything close to this then we are doomed ( resident evil retribution giant licker) xD

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/98/2f/88/982f88d889b232f6cd1b9a90fba50169.gif

The Upgrade is not 4-legged so don't be afraid.
Here is a rough description of him:
Spoiler
- cc. 10 feet tall
- does not have mask
- has armour-like hard skin (so he does not need armour)
- has humanish eyes
- has an ion canon on his gauntlet
- has a kind of projectile arrow weapon on his other gauntlet (I think this could be an updated Speargun)
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/the-predator/57636/visiting-the-set-of-the-predator

A new set report. This one includes some stuff with Brian Prince about playing The Predator.

QuoteThere's a certain thrill to seeing a Predator in real life. First, there's the scary height of the thing: about seven feet tall, with the bulky shoulders, the dreadlock-esque head tentacles and that cool, metallic mask. How disconcerting, then, that the guy under the Predator mask is loveable, smiling comic book geek named Brian Prince - it just so happens that he's a comic book geek who's nearly seven feet tall and great at parkour.

"Olivia Munn said to me, 'There's no way you can play the Predator - you're too nice,'" Prince says with a huge grin. As Prince says this, he shifts his weight on a tall director's chair, the wood flexing beneath his muscular bulk. From the head downwards, he's pure Predator: the pale mottled skin, clawed hands, futuristic body armour. From the neck up, he's happy 20-something ex student who dreams of one day turning his comic into an animated feature.

"I got really lucky," Prince shrugs. "I was originally an art student in Atlanta, I draw comics and do illustrations and stuff. I was in Seattle Washington in a parkour gym - I've done parkour for nine years."

All that change, Prince explains, when he got a call from The Predator's stunt coordinator; Prince made a video demonstrating his parkour skills, sent it off, and within a few weeks, he was on a plane bound for Los Angeles.

"I just got in there and started swingin' and jumpin', started running around. We did the audition process - there was me, Kyle, about three other guys, all about the same height. We drew in our own take of some kind of creature movement. I mixed in some hunting and primal elements with a lot of my parcour movements - a lot of jumping, vaulting, rolling around. I guess Shane liked it, because the next day they told me I got it. I was like, What? I was working minimum wage last year, and now I'm here!"

So how does a friendly artist from Atlanta, Georgia get into the headspace of a ruthless hunter from another planet? Prince's secret weapon, he explains, is none other than Spotify.

"One thing I started doing a few weeks in was listening to a lot of music - it's always been easy for me to listen to a song and take the emotion out of it," Prince says. "This one's angry, this one's sad. So I've been doing that. I have a playlist on my phone, on my Spotify, and it has a lot of videogame music. Foo Fighters. Pumped up, angry - I called [the playlist] Destroy. I have a lot of stuff from the God Of War games, because that character's a big inspiration for me. The main character of that game is Kratos - this big, tall warrior. He's very similar to what the Predator creature is, in my mind, so I use him as a reference and inspiration."

All that parkour, meanwhile, will go towards creating a more agile Predator than we've seen in previous movies. Sure, the monster in the Schwarzenegger classic could lurk in trees and move swiftly, but the 2018 Predator, Prince says, will be far more fleet-footed.

"This creature's a lot more mobile. In the other films, they'd move, for sure, but a lot of the times, in the first one, there wasn't a lot of agile movement. So with this one, for me, they're throwing me through things, I'm fighting, slashing. One of the things I had in mind was for the creature to look heavy, to look big, but also to be very mobile - kind of like a lion. A big creature... or a bear. You see one running at you, and you're like, Oh damn."

As the interview draws to a close, Prince continues to marvel at the chance to appear in a big-budget sci-fi movie; he explains that, for the first few days, he didn't even realise he could just ask somebody for a bottle of water if he felt thirsty in his heavy, stuffy 60lb suit. "I'm learning to be more assertive without being a jerk," the actor says, his latex alien biceps bulging.

Getting out of his chair, Prince thanks everybody in  turn, before heading off to play a deadly alien hunter in another scene. As one journalist puts it: "He's the sweetest Predator ever."

Drizz

Drizz

Glad that we'll be able to see the Predators move like they're supposed to. It was always implied that they are mobile or at least we saw glimpses of it, hopefully we will finally be able to see it now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed