Could the latest films be regarded as a new series?

Started by bobby brown, Mar 26, 2018, 02:15:42 PM

Author
Could the latest films be regarded as a new series? (Read 8,502 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 28, 2018, 08:07:40 AM
They are part of Ridley Scott's Alien universe, they ignore the sequels to Alien.

Then why did he change the name from Weylan to Weyland?  What about all the terraforming stuff that was never mentioned ONCE in Alien?  What about LV-223?  Did Ridley come up with all that stuff himself?

SiL

Quote from: bobby brown on Mar 28, 2018, 09:25:06 AM
I see very little retorts to my actual arguments here.  :-\
You don't really seem to have any. "A game decided to ignore the look of one of the movies and I think it fits better to be its own thing" really doesn't warrant much of a discussion beyond "I don't agree, but OK."

bobby brown

Alright. I can settle at that.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 28, 2018, 10:25:37 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 28, 2018, 08:07:40 AM
They are part of Ridley Scott's Alien universe, they ignore the sequels to Alien.

Then why did he change the name from Weylan to Weyland?  What about all the terraforming stuff that was never mentioned ONCE in Alien?  What about LV-223?  Did Ridley come up with all that stuff himself?

Or include Cameron's "Building better worlds" WY slogan? Plus the fact that WY was in the colonization business.

SM

I think it's perhaps because Scorpio is mistaken.

Scorpio

No sense in re-inventing the wheel.

SiL

Is the wheel you being wrong ...?

Scorpio

What I'm referring to is some stuff that is in Prometheus/Covenant was not in Alien, so they can't use anything from that film. 

"Building Better Worlds", for example.  There is no company motto in Alien, so they could either come up with a new one or use what is already established.  So the question is, why re-invent the wheel, they already have a perfectly good thing that they can use.

As for the WY logo in Aliens, there's no reason why they couldn't use it in Alien Covenant.  It's more recognisable to people.  But they didn't, because it was in the original Alien.  They had a choice between Ridley Scott's version and James Cameron's version, and they chose Scott's version.  Hence why I said it is based on Ridley Scott's universe established in Alien.

SM

They just went with the big W from Aliens on Prometheus instead.

Scorpio

They aren't quite the same though:

I suppose you could make the case that one inspired the other.

SM

Of course it did.  Then they did the stylised Egyptian wings to go with the Alien design.

Scorpio

Do you have any evidence to back that up such as quotes from crew members who worked on the film, or is that just a theory you have?  Because while it does look similar it could be based on something else and just be coincidence.

SM

QuoteDo you have any evidence to back that up such as quotes from crew members who worked on the film

Yes.

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 29, 2018, 04:54:14 AM
As for the WY logo in Aliens, there's no reason why they couldn't use it in Alien Covenant.
It makes much more sense not to. There's 57 years between Alien and Aliens -- can you think of a major company that hasn't rebranded in 57 years of operation?

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Mar 29, 2018, 06:06:33 AM
QuoteDo you have any evidence to back that up such as quotes from crew members who worked on the film

Yes.

You wouldn't happen to know where that is would you?

Quote from: SiL on Mar 29, 2018, 06:14:34 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 29, 2018, 04:54:14 AM
As for the WY logo in Aliens, there's no reason why they couldn't use it in Alien Covenant.
It makes much more sense not to. There's 57 years between Alien and Aliens -- can you think of a major company that hasn't rebranded in 57 years of operation?

Coca Cola.  Actually they have rebranded it but they still bring back the classic logo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed