Was Kane and Oram really equally stupid?

Started by The Cruentus, Mar 19, 2018, 04:16:23 PM

Was Kane and Oram really equally stupid?

Yes, they were both equally stupid.
No, Oram had foreknowledge that Kane didn't yet still looked into the egg.
No, Kane was stupider as he wasn't coaxed into looking into the egg.
Neither of them were stupid, just too curious for their own good.
Author
Was Kane and Oram really equally stupid? (Read 42,784 times)

The Old One

The Old One

That's why exactly when I theorise on how to improve Covenant I don't see the point in writing a completely alternate scene; because Ridley Scott would still want that visual that we got theatrically.

If I was able to do a script revision on Covenant for me it would be all about changing context.
Not writing a completely alternate scene that Ridley probably wouldn't want to film, he knows the visuals he wants and what would be striking when he has a basic outline for a script that he likes.

The Cruentus

Context and all the set ups is where it fails. You could keep a lot of deaths and make them look slightly less silly just by making a better set up to it instead of relying on slasher tropes.

The Old One

The Old One

Exactly, you don't need to have David literally tie Oram up for it to make sense.

I think that you could have easily made the whole "Take a look, something to see."

Far more effective and keep it exactly as is, if you infer that Oram is drugged and have him call David Walter but David doesn't correct him.

tleilaxu

I wish some of the deaths had been more รก la Alien Resurrection. Like for example the part where the Xeno drops down on that dude from above, it just looks corny. Would've been better if it had ambushed him and crushed his head or something like DiStefano in Alien Resurrection.

hfeldhaus

I don't really regard either of these as character moments (failures). It has more to do with thematics in my eyes. It's for the audience watching. It's a classic movie moment, cynics will say trope, that gets peolle all the time. The character peering into the egg will always work because the outcome is so horrifying. It plays on so many basic human elements with one obviously being our evolutionary inquisitive tendencies. I don't think either are stupid just human.

The Cruentus

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jul 17, 2018, 04:53:49 PM
I don't really regard either of these as character moments (failures). It has more to do with thematics in my eyes. It's for the audience watching. It's a classic movie moment, cynics will say trope, that gets peolle all the time. The character peering into the egg will always work because the outcome is so horrifying. It plays on so many basic human elements with one obviously being our evolutionary inquisitive tendencies. I don't think either are stupid just human.

But it doesn't, Oram looking into the egg isn't scary or horrifying, it is just stupid and even more so because he had every reason not to trust David. Say what you want about Kane for his actions but at least he didn't have foreknowledge of an alien threat.

The reason those "tropes" worked before was because it was still early for them back then, and they were the norm for slasher horror movies, they don't really have a place in a movie that supposedly more  "deeper" than a slasher. That said, not all tropes are bad and they can be used effectively but it hasn't.

As for evolutionary inquisitive tendencies, I think most should stick with evolutionary common sense because better safe than sorry almost always wins out.

The Old One

The Old One

More deeper.  :D

The Cruentus

Hence the "supposedly", the Alien films were "supposed" to be a more layered film, Covenant...is not.

The Old One

The Old One

I'd argue that it is, in spite of the characters making stupid decisions. 

SM

QuoteSay what you want about Kane for his actions but at least he didn't have foreknowledge of an alien threat.

Oram didn't literally stick his face in the egg.

The Cruentus

No, he didn't and that is why Kane doesn't get away with his lapse in judgement in my book, but Oram at least knew of alien threats which is why I think his scenerio is worse.

426Buddy

Kane had no warning of an alien threat?

This would scare the poo out of anyone in person. Was also pretty good indication that sticking your face into a big nest of space eggs is a bad idea.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 20, 2018, 10:23:23 AM

But it doesn't, Oram looking into the egg isn't scary or horrifying, it is just stupid and even more so because he had every reason not to trust David. Say what you want about Kane for his actions but at least he didn't have foreknowledge of an alien threat.

The reason those "tropes" worked before was because it was still early for them back then, and they were the norm for slasher horror movies, they don't really have a place in a movie that supposedly more  "deeper" than a slasher. That said, not all tropes are bad and they can be used effectively but it hasn't.

As for evolutionary inquisitive tendencies, I think most should stick with evolutionary common sense because better safe than sorry almost always wins out.

Your talking about execution there, which is a whole other question.

Peering into the egg is timeless in my eyes.

Pram was set up to look in that egg from the beginning, he was a proven risk taker. Same as Kane was set up as being over enthusiastic

The Cruentus

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 20, 2018, 12:24:06 PM
Kane had no warning of an alien threat?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQArODwQ5L0tvCWJTmW8N91qG8G_eBZlTkcQBahSaVneTZL6Oy2

This would scare the poo out of anyone in person. Was also pretty good indication that sticking your face into a big nest of space eggs is a bad idea.

No, he had no idea of an active alien threat because he had no idea of what caused that death in the first place and how long its been since it died, even Dallas thought it was fossilized. To them, if there ever was a threat, it would be long dead. Also to someone like Kane, the Jockey would not be good indication that sticking your face in eggs = bad because there isn't really any clue on the connection. Was he still dumb for doing so? Absolutely, even without a threat, it would not be smart to stick your head near an unknown lifeform.

Oram on the other hand, knew of a threat because of what has been happening in the hours they were there, and then he was shown the horrors of David's worshop, including the egg and what is inside, Also David's monologue about parasites and spawning hybrid forms. I am willing to believe he couldn't possibly know exactly what was going to happen but he had enough warnings to keep away from those eggs and not listen to David.

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jul 20, 2018, 12:40:47 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 20, 2018, 10:23:23 AM

Your talking about execution there, which is a whole other question.

Peering into the egg is timeless in my eyes.

Pram was set up to look in that egg from the beginning, he was a proven risk taker. Same as Kane was set up as being over enthusiastic

That's fair enough but it would have to be a good set up to it because I can't see anyone with common sense do it, hell even if I didn't see neomorphs bursting from my crew, and ripping heads off or listening to a clearly unstable mad scientist robot admit he created the dangerous creatures and talk about his successes, I still would not touch nor stick my head near something alive and unknown, that is basic common sense and I listen to it, so Oram shouldn't have done what he did.

426Buddy

Uhhhh giant jockey alien has hole exploded out of chest and noticably living eggs in hole melted in floor of jockey room. Dont have to be genius to surmise that the eggs lurking below were probably not safe to poke around.

Everything about the situation kane was in would be terrifying in reality.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed