Prometheus: Was Shaw mentally ill?

Started by No Name, Feb 24, 2018, 10:59:36 PM

Author
Prometheus: Was Shaw mentally ill? (Read 7,657 times)

No Name

No Name

Hi.

Just watched Prometheus the other day. Great film, if a little underwhelming. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Great soundtrack too (especially the "Going In" track). This is just what I got, but was Shaw mentally ill throughout the film? Some of her decisions, dialogue and actions seemed to indicate so imo. Please note the following is not a criticism of the film itself or suggestions to fix anything.

1) Choose to believe: Not a big one. In the briefing sequence, she is questioned about her evidence. She says she doesn't know, which is fine. But then she follows up with "but its what I choose to believe". Something like "don't know, but that's what we're hoping to find out" would have been the more appropriate thing to say imo. Like I said, not a biggie, but kind of acts as a foreshadowing to how she behaves later in the film.

2) No security: Shaw asks Jackson what his toaster is for. He replies its for expedition security, which she flat-out rejects. Why? You're on an alien planet, and are about to go exploring in an alien structure. What sense does it make to not bring security?

3) Bagged NG (Engineer) head: During the storm sequence, the bagged head falls out. Shaw decides to run out into the storm to recover it, despite Holloway's warning, endangering not only her life, but also the entire crew's. Surely another sample could have been retrieved later from the other dead NG bodies?

4) Who made them?: So you get proof of who actually made humanity (not a Christian God) thereby disproving your religion, but instead of acknowledging this but still holding on to the belief, you shift the point to "who made them"?

5) Travelling to their home world: David offers to take Shaw back to Earth. She instead opts to push forward to the NG's homeworld. How exactly is this a rational decision? You're solely relying on a decapitated/possibly damaged android to pilot an alien aircraft to a completely different planet with possibly limited food and water supplies, no crew, with all sorts of known and unknown risks, using technology you've barely had a chance to interact with, and risking the possibility of complete isolation from the rest of humanity. Would it not have been better to head back to Earth, an arguably less risky journey, then lead a second expedition using the knowledge and evidence gained from the Prom expedition?

6) Trusting David: This one is a bit iffy. Does anyone know if she finds out proper that David infected Holloway? I think she did. Given this, was there any reason to trust David so much despite knowing he was responsible for infecting your significant other? In fact, its not even brought up when she goes to retrieve him. Yes, yes, he's the only way out of the planet. Still, would it not have been better to wait it out perhaps with the supplies you have and wait for a rescue team to arrive (similar to the protocol they had in Aliens)?

Just some of my thoughts. I could be wrong, but I'm curious as to what others think.

Evanus

Evanus

Mentally ill, haha.  :D

But seriously, she's definitely not mentally ill.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: No Name on Feb 24, 2018, 10:59:36 PM

1) Choose to believe: Not a big one. In the briefing sequence, she is questioned about her evidence. She says she doesn't know, which is fine. But then she follows up with "but its what I choose to believe". Something like "don't know, but that's what we're hoping to find out" would have been the more appropriate thing to say imo. Like I said, not a biggie, but kind of acts as a foreshadowing to how she behaves later in the film.

That's religion for you. Blind faith.

Quote from: No Name on Feb 24, 2018, 10:59:36 PM2) No security: Shaw asks Jackson what his toaster is for. He replies its for expedition security, which she flat-out rejects. Why? You're on an alien planet, and are about to go exploring in an alien structure. What sense does it make to not bring security?

Some people prefer to come in peace.
I always like comparison of a weapon to a condom in AvP. Better to have one and not need it than the other way around.

Quote from: No Name on Feb 24, 2018, 10:59:36 PM3) Bagged NG (Engineer) head: During the storm sequence, the bagged head falls out. Shaw decides to run out into the storm to recover it, despite Holloway's warning, endangering not only her life, but also the entire crew's. Surely another sample could have been retrieved later from the other dead NG bodies?

The head was taken from inside the locked room, it's why it wasn't decayed or fossilized like the other bodies. It was the only relatively fresh sample.
There were other Engineers in the sleeping pods but they weren't discovered until later on.

4) Who made them?: So you get proof of who actually made humanity (not a Christian God) thereby disproving your religion, but instead of acknowledging this but still holding on to the belief, you shift the point to "who made them"?

Religious people often stick to their beliefs or twist stuff so it fits their belief system.

5) Travelling to their home world: David offers to take Shaw back to Earth. She instead opts to push forward to the NG's homeworld. How exactly is this a rational decision? You're solely relying on a decapitated/possibly damaged android to pilot an alien aircraft to a completely different planet with possibly limited food and water supplies, no crew, with all sorts of known and unknown risks, using technology you've barely had a chance to interact with, and risking the possibility of complete isolation from the rest of humanity. Would it not have been better to head back to Earth, an arguably less risky journey, then lead a second expedition using the knowledge and evidence gained from the Prom expedition?

If you already got that far, it makes sense to continue. She still wants answers.

6) Trusting David: This one is a bit iffy. Does anyone know if she finds out proper that David infected Holloway? I think she did. Given this, was there any reason to trust David so much despite knowing he was responsible for infecting your significant other? In fact, its not even brought up when she goes to retrieve him. Yes, yes, he's the only way out of the planet. Still, would it not have been better to wait it out perhaps with the supplies you have and wait for a rescue team to arrive (similar to the protocol they had in Aliens)?

Food/air was limited. Waiting would take years. So she didn't have much of a choice. And she still wants answers.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

She's not mentally ill, she just a plain old fool. A selfish as balls one at that.

Quoteself·ish
ˈselfiSH/
adjective
adjective: selfish

(of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.
    "I joined them for selfish reasons"
    synonyms:   egocentric, egotistic, egotistical, egomaniacal, self-centered, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-seeking, self-serving, wrapped up in oneself; More
    inconsiderate, thoughtless, unthinking, uncaring, uncharitable;
    mean, miserly, grasping, greedy, mercenary, acquisitive, opportunistic;
    informallooking after number one
    "he is just selfish by nature"
    antonyms:   altruistic

D88M

D88M

Are you serious :/

No.

/Thread.

SM

SM

No.

Passionate, misguided - but very obviously not mentally ill.

tleilaxu

Quote from: SM on Feb 25, 2018, 01:43:42 AM
No.

How is she misguided apart from trusting David? I've always felt like Scott is trying to make a statement here, both with Shaw and Oram, that being religious does not necessarily make you stupid. In the end things go wrong anyway, but it's not really as a direct result of their faith.

Highland

Quote from: tleilaxu on Feb 25, 2018, 02:05:30 AM
No.

How is she misguided apart from trusting David? I've always felt like Scott is trying to make a statement here, both with Shaw and Oram, that being religious does not necessarily make you stupid. In the end things go wrong anyway, but it's not really as a direct result of their faith.

Most normal people know that being religious doesn't make you stupid, I don't think that's his point, but I agree with the second part. Bad things can and will happen to anyone.

Alien 3 did a much better job of all of this symbolism though.

kwisatz

kwisatz

I vote mentally ill cause i read (too much) Nietzsche.

SM

SM

Quote from: tleilaxu on Feb 25, 2018, 02:05:30 AM
No.

Nothing to do with faith.  More the not taking Jackson for security.  It wouldn't have done any harm to take him.  Running off after the head when it was safer to get David to do it.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: kwisatz on Feb 25, 2018, 04:15:42 AM

;D

And I read too much Dawkins and Hitchens.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 25, 2018, 10:02:03 AM
Quote from: kwisatz on Feb 25, 2018, 04:15:42 AM

;D

And I read too much Dawkins and Hitchens.

And I watch to much Rick and Morty.

whiterabbit

If Elizabeth Shaw is anything, she is the real villain of the entire franchise. It is because of her selfishness that David the Destroyer of Man was created.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 25, 2018, 01:17:37 PM
If Elizabeth Shaw is anything, she is the real villain of the entire franchise. It is because of her selfishness that David the Destroyer of Man was created.

Darth Shaw ruined the lives of tons of people. Including Ripley, Newt and Hicks.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Not mentally ill.. but obsessed with the belief she has found the answer but it wasn't the answer she was looking for.. so she was wrong so wrong.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed