Marines Alien Storm v0.5 (( 2020 NEW!! ))

Started by Alien-seed-Games, Feb 18, 2018, 05:08:18 AM

Author
Marines Alien Storm v0.5 (( 2020 NEW!! )) (Read 8,928 times)

Alien-seed-Games

Alien-seed-Games

Marines Alien Storm V0.5 New Demo

NOTE: This is a hard and unforgiving game were you have to lurn and explore it your shelf.

NOTE Install "ALIEN Extended Font" In game folder

!!NEW V0.5 Game play video!!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/marines-alien-storm
https://darkseedgames.wordpress.com/marines-alien-storm/

all aliens fans have a go and see what you think
Feed back and idears are welcome.

Thank you and have fun

Olde

Olde

I got the chance to try it out.

Let me start with the positives. I like the look and design of the game. It plays like a rogue-lite, top-down shooter as you said, with random-generating maps (I think), fast and difficult gameplay, with varied enemies. I recognized assets used from AvP2 that were implemented well. The sound and art design look good, and the main weapon (I assume it's supposed to be some kind of pulse rifle) is pretty effective at close, mid, and long range combat. It deals enough damage to kill most enemies fairly quickly, although they still pose a challenge.

Now on to the negatives. The biggest issue for me is that this game is too fast, way too fast. Most enemies can bum rush you from across the screen in under a second. You do move quickly too, but you take a lot damage from enemies and aiming quickly enough to take them down is difficult. Additionally, lacking a source to replenish health means even beating one level isn't really feasible. Marine or synthetic enemies can shoot you from off-screen. There were only control configuration options, with no visual options such as resolution or other things such as mouse sensitivity. Another issue is that you don't automatically reload when you reach 0 ammo, so at first I was firing my gun and confused as to why it randomly stopped firing. This could be alleviated with a "Press R to Reload" prompt or an auto-reload script. This isn't really a negative but more an observation, the enemies don't belong in the Aliens universe. The bugs don't look like facehuggers, they look more like isopods. The human enemies didn't really look like marines or synthetics, and the aliens didn't really look like xenos. Last but not least, and there should also be a credits list for where assets were used (i.e. Monolith) because as anyone can plainly see, you use the health/armor icons from that game as well as the reload and gunfire sound effects.

Good for a first build but the speed needs to be toned down significantly.

Alien-seed-Games

Are yes i think i might slow the game play down a little bit.

And for all thows other points thay are interesting to here thank you

Corporal Hicks

Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to giving this a go.

No Name

No Name

Tried it the other day.

First of all, I just have to say that the overall feel and presentation of the project is very well done. Feels professional and immersive. Good Job! Out of curiosity, what engine/development kit did you use? I'm going to hazard a guess and say maybe GM: Studio?

That said, a couple of things:

Olde above has given a useful breakdown of things to improve on. So I'll just throw some suggestions you might like to consider moving forward: 

. You might have been going for a rogue maze type approach. If so, take a look at a game called The Binding of Isaac. I've never played it personally and this isn't a sales pitch, but I hear it gets a lot of praise for its rogue map randomization and the sheer number of things in the game. In some ways, its quite similar to what you can have here in this project, given the variety of Xenos that one can come up with and the (somewhat) similar gameplay style.

. Consider adding different marine characters from the films or classes to choose from with different weapon load-outs. From an overall perspective, you wouldn't even have to change much between the chars/classes. I don't know how your system works but you may like to consider having a single base character but with different health/armor/weapon/equipment and stats etc attached to a class's unique identifier. Have a preset type of male/female voices depending on the class's sex. For the sprite, at this time, you'd probable only need to change the head sprite since this is Top-Down. Take a look at Alien: Infestation. Different types of characters, but all have virtually the same sprites, and that's a 2d platformer!

. Have a map system that maybe takes a number of pre-set defined rooms and randomizes their arrangement.

. You'd ideally need to create a solid gameplay "feedback" loop. This is quite tricky to do, but if done correctly, can increase the game's replay value significantly. This is why I'd suggest looking at Binding of Isaac. Its simple, yet manages to achieve the feedback loop. Again, I've never played the game, but its popularity should be a hint on what to do.

That's all for now. Looking forward to see what you can do with this!

Alien-seed-Games

Aww cool thank you. this is made with (  Multimedia Fusion 2 ) NOT!!! Click team fusion 2.5

Year random vs set maps is a big one lolz!. i have made a few games with random levels its hard to do well! i was thinking for this game have set maps with random parts to it sum thing like that.

More marines and aliens will all cum in time i plan lots of guns to. There are all ready quite a few in the code just cant use them yeat!.
And Items like med pack, flairs, and usable stuff is all in the works. Battery's that the Tracker' light' Door hacker' will use.

Gameplay "feedback" loop is a good point to! i all ways aim for more replay in my games.

This is a hobby project i make for fun i have a full time job dam it or i would make games all day!

New versions will cum every copple of weeks i am hopeing!
I have made games for years thay are all ways to complex and i never finish them this one i aim for little bit Rough! but fun simple game!

thanks a gen every one

Corporal Hicks

Thanks again for sharing this! I've had a chance to play it a few times since I downloaded it but I've not been able to get very far on it. It's very very hard. I do think it looks great though! I think Olde has hit the mark with recommendations so I just echo his sentiments.

Alien-seed-Games

New version out A31 soz been busy with life dam it!

Its got a more aliens feal to it now i think!.  Try it see what you think

Corporal Hicks

Awesome! Downloading now.

No Name

Nice update Alien-seed! Flamer thrower and Praetorian are great addons.

Couple of discussion points:

1. Praetorians:

They're praetorians right? They look great, but I think they should be bigger if possible. Also, the flame thrower should not cause them to run around like the regular xenos. Plus, they should have more HP.

2. Movement speed:

Character's walk speed is okay, but its a bit problematic when fighting synths (I assume they're synths). Could use a slight boost. Same with the running speed. Actually, I'd advise you to boost the running speed, but prevent the player from firing as they're doing so (i.e. sprinting). You may also like to boost the aliens speed as I think they might be a bit too slow right now.

3. OP Flamer:

Feels a bit OP. The flames merely touching the aliens sends them running around. Amount of damage before 'crazy-run' should be increased.

4. Levels:

Where'd the other two maps go? Didn't ever spawn in them.

5. Update numbering:

This is your project so do as you please, but for version number, I'd start with 0.10 (first release) then increase the number by 0.01 for subsequent updates. So if it were me, I'd call this 0.11, since A31 (to me at least) seems a bit random.

6. Weapon binding:

Currently, you have:

1- Shotgun
2- Pistol
3- Flamer
Spacebar-Knife

This should be (imo):

1-Knife
2-Pistol
3-Shotgun
4-[EMPTY, Pulse Rifle maybe?]
5-[EMPTY]
6-[Flame thrower]

7. Menu and Interface:

I'd suggest against dropping the player directly into the game. You have a menu already, so why not begin the game from there?

8. Content work:

This is completely up to you, but if you'd like, and when I am able to, I can try and contribute some enemy character sprites, Xenos in particular. You'd have to provide me some template of sorts though just for the sake of consistency. I have my own non-Alien related project, but the sprite work here should be much faster to do than in my own project.

Again, looking forward to the next update! Looking great, just needs more stuff.

Alien-seed-Games

Alien-seed-Games

1 = is kinda Praetorian just a big alien for now. but yes is should not run from fire!.

2 = Speed is a hard one! to much helps player out to much! i want you to be able to only get away when runing. Yes aliens will be faster to.

3= Flamer will all ways be kinda OP and Ammo will be hard to cum bye.

4= Levels!. Game is just work in progress no levels so far only one you played level 2 just a number to test loading system

5= Numbering!. When the game finds its shlfe and i know how i want it to be i will number it 0.1 release!

6= Weapions are all slots so you can move them around. i only want 2 or 3 slots! maybee add player upgrades give you more slots later on!

7=Menus!.  JUST ADDED!!!!! spent hole last weekend makeing main menu and campaign and level select menus!!!

8=Content! sum sprites would be grate ill message you sum time

Thanks for feed back was good to here!  will be in touch

No Name

For the Flamer, I'd just be sure to make it weaker against the tougher aliens like Praetorians. Additionally, its OPness is kinda debatable since we've never seen it being used effectively against Xenos in any of the films. IMO, best use would be against certain types of enemies like huggers, bursters, runners and eggs. Moderately effective against standard warriors/drones and weak against tougher types like Prae and Predalien.

Good to hear the menus are being fully integrated.

Also, for whatever sprite discussions you may have, I'd prefer to keep them here instead of having separate discussions via messaging in the control panel (unless of course you simply don't want to put sprite assets out publicly).

Alien-seed-Games

OK cool good idear

The Sprites are REsized in the game at the moment so thay look a little blury
When i get good sprites thay will be 1 to 1 pixles so nice and sharp

SO this is the sprites i made when i was like 14 in hi school and i used them for quick place holder art

And this is what inspired me a sprite sheet from a old Click game called ( Aliens infestation 2 )

No Name

Pretty good sprites for placeholders.  ;)

Though the in-game resizing isn't an issue per se (they look good anyway), I agree with using the native scale for drawing the sprites. That said, do you have any sprite that is currently made to the desired 1:1 scale, but not used in-game at the moment? An animation sample will probably be good to post as well.

I'm also assuming how your system will work is it'll scale back the sprites to their native scale when they're drawn in-game, while the background sprites will continue to get scaled up (like you have right now). This way you won't have to redo the BG, only the character/enemies. But again, that's just an assumption on my part.

Alien-seed-Games

Alien-seed-Games

Humm well the hole game is built around 32X32 Tiles system so here a pic i quickly made after work to help explain

1. Game runs at 800X600 Resized to 1920X1080 unless you run it at fullscreen from settings menu
2. The sprites that are grey get recoloured in game and the Aliens have 3 body parts to make then up!
3. So a normal sprite should fit in 32X32 a big one will be like 48X48 and a Huge one 64X64 witch wont fix through single 32x32 doors!

All these sprites are realy bad thay are place holders at moment lolz
Hope this helps a little

NOTE!! Eggs were riped from Alien Resurrection screen cap! after thay all swim and pop up into egg ambush
And Dead marine is a Doom Sprite!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed