Disney deal with Fox in possible jeopardy; Comcast could seal the deal

Started by LiquidMonster, Feb 12, 2018, 03:55:27 PM

Author
Disney deal with Fox in possible jeopardy; Comcast could seal the deal (Read 2,200 times)

LiquidMonster

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/921701-not-so-fast-disney-comcast-reviving-interest-in-acquiring-fox

Basically, the current "deal" between Disney and Fox is basically a "handshake" at this time. It it NOT AN OFFICIAL DEAL.

Comcast had originally bid a HIGHER overall price for Disney but back out over fears of anti-trust lawsuits/litigation.

Now they feel confident they won't have to deal with that and are possibly looking to up-end the Disney deal and swoop in to basically
steal the deal away.

My take? Horrible if it becomes true. Trust me people: YOU DO NOT WANT COMCAST IN CHARGE OF ALIEN/PREDATOR etc.

No matter your feelings on Disney, you have to realize that they have the built in name recognition AND MARKETING MUSCLE/merchandising muscle to IMHO do IPs better justice.

Comcast can't even treat their own f**king customers right, do you really trust them with ALIEN, Predator and what ever else they'd get in the deal?

We'd better hope Disney's lawyers made the tentative "deal" iron-clad so Comcast can't come in and f**k up the deal.

Thoughts?

bobby brown

Disney never going to touch alien anyway, get real. an R-rated horror/sci-fi series about space rape, its not exactly Disney material. They will sell off the rights to someone else. They might keep predator if the new one turns profitable and steers the series in a more PG-13 friendly direction.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: bobby brown on Feb 12, 2018, 04:14:05 PM
Disney never going to touch alien anyway, get real. an R-rated horror/sci-fi series about space rape, its not exactly Disney material. They will sell off the rights to someone else.

As I have mentioned here a few times before, I agree with this. Quite possible they will brand the Alien franchise not a Disney product and put it up for sale. I mean, they branded Power Rangers not a Disney product and sold it off. Power Rangers!

Apparently Disney conducted a study on the PR franchise and the moms didn't like the violence in Power Rangers. They were even in the middle of plans to make a PR feature film when they conducted the study, and that was enough for Disney, so they jettisoned the Power Ranger franchise lickity split.

On the other hand, if they hang onto the Alien franchise, they could steer away from the space rape theme, so I don't see that as an obstacle. However, if Disney views the face hugger ramming it's tube down a victim's throat as space rape, omitting that Alien franchise mainstay would be equivalent to omitting Freddy Krueger's glove/claws. I will be surprised if we ever see a Disney-backed Alien film.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Also, Alien is not exactly the hottest ticket in town anymore.

SM

Quote from: bobby brown on Feb 12, 2018, 04:14:05 PM
Disney never going to touch alien anyway, get real. an R-rated horror/sci-fi series about space rape, its not exactly Disney material. They will sell off the rights to someone else. They might keep predator if the new one turns profitable and steers the series in a more PG-13 friendly direction.

Did Miramax not produce any movies above a PG-13 for the 17 years they were owned by Disney?

bobby brown

Look, man, it's not going to happen. There could be a possibility if Alien was a massively lucrative investment. but no. It's a horror series
that just passed its 6th instalment to a lukewarm reception amongst just everybody.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: SM on Feb 12, 2018, 07:58:27 PM
Did Miramax not produce any movies above a PG-13 for the 17 years they were owned by Disney?

Miramax never got much Disney love before selling off the Miramax label. During the Disney ownership, they significantly reduced its staff and sharply dropped it's film releases per year. I don't see Disney repeating this venture for the next 17 years for some other owned label.

Back in the early nineties, was it really common knowledge Miramax was owned by Disney? Sure, Disney was a fairly big name even back then, but Miramax films didn't even have the Disney trademark on the end credits. Today, Disney is now not only a bigger name, it's a mega-name. Can a mega-name aimed at family entertainment get away with hard core R films through an "alias" so to speak?

It's comparable to well known authors who sometimes use an alias to publish some books. But once the author, say like Stephen King, becomes a "mega-name", even their alias names are soon associated to the author, like Stephen King's pseudonym Richard Bachman.

I don't know, maybe that's not a very applicable analogy, but if they wouldn't even peddle a kid's cartoon Power Rangers via an "alias" what are the chances of an R-rated space raping Alien getting a Disney green light?

SM

SM

Quote from: bobby brown on Feb 12, 2018, 08:27:20 PM
Look, man, it's not going to happen. There could be a possibility if Alien was a massively lucrative investment. but no. It's a horror series
that just passed its 6th instalment to a lukewarm reception amongst just everybody.

Every film, even the ones that got crappy reviews, has turned a tidy profit.  The amount of money being made by Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, the live action remakes of animated films and the inclusion of the X-Men and Fantastic Four, means Alien doesn't need to be massively lucrative.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: SM on Feb 12, 2018, 10:49:01 PM
The amount of money being made by Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, the live action remakes of animated films and the inclusion of the X-Men and Fantastic Four, means Alien doesn't need to be massively lucrative.

Based on that logic, I guess we can expect a new Disney financed Percy Jackson film from that not so massively lucrative franchise? Its "tidy profit" is comparable to recent Alien films. Personally, I won't be holding my breath waiting for that, even being a PG friendly franchise, not to mention there is no extraterrestrial molestation in play within that fictional realm.

So it seems to me if they were going to use those massive profits from the big franchises to finance a smaller project just to collect figuratively chump change as you are suggesting, I find it more likely they would bank it on a PG friendly teen demigod rather than horrific space rape.

bobby brown

Every film, even the ones that got crappy reviews, has turned a tidy profit.  The amount of money being made by Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, the live action remakes of animated films and the inclusion of the X-Men and Fantastic Four, means Alien doesn't need to be massively lucrative.

So they'll make one just out of the love for the game...?

whiterabbit

The movie industry is changing and likely to be in trouble near future. A property like alien will be successful enough to keep the pilot light on. Everyone focuses on the big money but "even" money is good too.

SM

Quote from: bobby brown on Feb 13, 2018, 07:03:56 AM

So they'll make one just out of the love for the game...?

No.  They can, as I said, make a tidy profit.  They don't need to make Star Wars or Marvel money to make money for the studio.

bobby brown

Look, I'll be happy if another alien movie is getting made, I hope you are right.

However, I'd be damn surprised as well.

Biomechanoid

With speculation that Disney plans to use Hulu as their avenue to compete with Netflix, I suppose there is a possibility they could create an Alien series or limited series. That would be enough to "keep the pilot light on." That would mean episodes of aliens endlessly attacking humans over and over again, but that works for The Walking Dead, only with zombies instead.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Feb 13, 2018, 12:09:01 PM
That would mean episodes of aliens endlessly attacking humans over and over again, but that works for The Walking Dead, only with zombies instead.

Not necessarily. You've also got sociopathic AI and other humans that wanna f**k each other over for a goddamned percentage.  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed