Best major action scene setpiece

Started by Scorpio, Feb 06, 2018, 12:35:07 PM

What is the best major action scene of A/P/AVP franchise?

Cargo Lift battle - Alien Covenant
1 (5.3%)
Juggernaut crashing - Prometheus
2 (10.5%)
Queen fight - Alien Vs Predator
2 (10.5%)
Underwater/ladder scene - Alien Resurrection
1 (5.3%)
Street shootout - Predator 2
0 (0%)
Village attack - Predator
3 (15.8%)
Powerloader vs Queen - Aliens
9 (47.4%)
Trapping the runner - Alien 3
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author
Best major action scene setpiece (Read 2,545 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

I'm only including major action stuff, not just stalk/slash, fighting/shooting or chase scenes.

I didn't include Alien or Alien 3 because they are not action movies.

I didn't include Predators because it is low budget and sparse action.

I didn't include AVPR because it has no big action scenes, just a a bunch of minor scenes.

(I am a big fan of well executed action stuff, btw, and IMO Prometheus and Covenant have the most epic scenes in the whole franchise)

BigDaddyJohn

My favorite is the village attack in Predator. But i love the power loader scene too.

SM

SM

The last third of Aliens.

The fire and bait & chase in Alien 3 are both action sequences.

Scorpio

Scorpio

I covered that in my original post. 

I do not count a few explosions as a major action scene.  Neither chasing people through corridors.

SM

SM

I guess they're just quiet dialogue scenes then.

Scorpio

Scorpio

If I counted an explosion as an action scene, then I would have to count the Nostromo exploding as well, and the Atmosphere Processor exploding.  You see how that complicates things?

Any one can blow something up, that's not what I call a 'major action setpiece'.  Even non-action movies have explosions in them.  Old hat.

SM

SM

But it's not just an explosion. Particularly in the Special Edition.  So the comparisons to the Nostromo and AP don't really stand up.

And there's no explosion at all during the bait and chase.  Until the Alien blows up.

Scorpio

Scorpio

The Nostromo and AP aren't 'just explosions' either.  They are part of a much bigger sequence.

Again, did you read my original post, as I'm not counting chase scenes. 

Vertigo

Vertigo

The street shoot-out wouldn't be my pick from Predator 2 - I'd go for the subway sequence.

Sub-level 3 fight probably gets my pick over the Queen duel in Aliens, too. Hard to compare the two though because they're playing for different emotional stakes, and are on very different scales.

Scorpio

Scorpio

The subway scene and the sub level 3 fight are more about implying the action than actually showing it.

SM

SM

Yes, Hicks shoving a shotgun in an Aliens mouth with very subtle and nuanced.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Even before that... both those sequences have a bunch of stunt work, gunfire and the occasional explosion. If they aren't action scenes then I guess Commando is a remake of The Graduate.

SM

SM

Quite.

Scorpio

Scorpio

They aren't epic enough to be counted.  They are run of the mill action scenes you find in almost any action movie.  I'm talking about big scenes with big staging with a big budget behind it.  Did I forget to mention 'big'?  Again, read the OP, it's all explained.

Gash

Gash

Juggernaut or Cargo lift for me. I'll chose the Juggernaut crash for the epic scale of it and the music.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed