Requiem turns 10 this year!

Started by D88M, Feb 03, 2018, 01:29:44 AM

Author
Requiem turns 10 this year! (Read 8,247 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Shit, even with the budget Paul had, he could have done a space setting, but he couldn't even if he had wanted to, because of those on high.

For me the ideal AVP movie at this point would actually be a cut down affair.

One alien. One Predator. A cast of characters cut from the cloth of films like The Thing or Outland. Civilians, but no push overs. Set on planet that's half desert, half Beksinski painting. An interesting Predator that is never an anti hero but is also in some respects clearly understood. Inspired by the short "Chained to Life and Death."

Just imagine Anytime and Big Chap, toe to toe.

SiL

SiL

Where the heck is that b-roll of Big Chap from and why is this my first time seeing it?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on May 31, 2018, 03:13:38 AM
Where the heck is that b-roll of Big Chap from and why is this my first time seeing it?

Gorgeous isn't it. I recognize the first and I think third shot, but that second shot is just amazing. That is the kind of thing we need to be seeing in some new Alien films. And I finally got to see the skull.  :)

I daresay that's my favorite shot of the entire franchise. Best shot of an Alien I've ever seen.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I don't know where it originally comes from, probably some BTS doc, but I cut them out of an "extended death scene" for Brett. There's a couple more interesting shots in there that are sorta awkwardly cut together.

SM

SM

I was watching the Directors Cut of Alien, which I haven't watched very much, and noticed for the first time that it got changed after Dallas' death.  After Ash exits from the galley, Ripley looks at Lambert and she has a bit of snot running out her nose, then it cuts back to Ripley and she gets up from her seat.  Then it cuts to her entering Mother.

In the original cut it goes Ash exits, Ripley looks at Lambert, Lambert looks at Ripley, then cuts to Action Parker (TM) going to refuel the flamethrower.  That Parker scene got cut from the DC.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 31, 2018, 05:17:36 AM

I don't know where it originally comes from, probably some BTS doc, but I cut them out of an "extended death scene" for Brett. There's a couple more interesting shots in there that are sorta awkwardly cut together.

Could it be from the Virtual Workprint?

SiL

SiL

Not in the one I have.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Oh, no, I recognise that. It was someone attempting to do another virtual workprint kinda thing. I'll see if I can find the link to his project page.

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/ALIEN-VIRTUAL-WORKPRINT-V2-EXTENDED-WORKPRINT-working-title/id/17815/page/2

This is the first time I came across that fella.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 30, 2018, 11:48:13 PM
For me the ideal AVP movie at this point would actually be a cut down affair.

One alien. One Predator. A cast of characters cut from the cloth of films like The Thing or Outland. Civilians, but no push overs. Set on planet that's half desert, half Beksinski painting. An interesting Predator that is never an anti hero but is also in some respects clearly understood. Inspired by the short "Chained to Life and Death."

The sad thing is that it could work easily, yet no one bothered to try it. One Xenomorph means that thy can't just kill it off like the cannon fodder in Requiem, it would need to remain a threat throughout the movie. I can imagine a good one on one fight, kind of like when the Hellhound was fighting the Beast of gevaudan in teen wolf. They battled throughout the series, neither one gaining decisive victory until the end episode.

Wysps

Wysps

Having it go down in space, far in the future would make the sense.  Especially since most of the comics and novels (if not all, idk) happen in space.  Plus the lack of resources and isolation from the rest of humanity would make the situation more precarious for the humans - believably.  Then the stars of the show (the alien and predator) can take over. 

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on May 31, 2018, 05:39:48 AM
In the original cut it goes Ash exits, Ripley looks at Lambert, Lambert looks at Ripley, then cuts to Action Parker (TM) going to refuel the flamethrower.  That Parker scene got cut from the DC.

I wonder why.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 31, 2018, 08:21:12 AM
Could it be from the Virtual Workprint?

I know one of the shots is from one of the making of featurettes. Where they lather the aliens face in KY. Mm-mm...

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 31, 2018, 04:32:30 PM

I wonder why.

Pacing, that's the reason for all the changes in the Marketing Cut. lol

Shame really considering better stuff could've been done with it besides what was.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: The Old One on May 31, 2018, 04:47:47 PM
Quote from: OpenMaw on May 31, 2018, 04:32:30 PM

I wonder why.

Pacing, that's the reason for all the changes in the Marketing Cut. lol

Shame really considering better stuff could've been done with it besides what was.

Was never too keen on the re-edit of Alien.

And I've always thought if you include the cocoon scene it should be placed before Ripley sets the self destruct. Everyone is right when they say it just breaks the pace of the final chunk of the movie to put that scene in right after she sets the self destruct.

Though, honestly that particular bit is best left on the cutting room floor in this case.

Quote from: Wysps on May 31, 2018, 03:04:51 PM
Having it go down in space, far in the future would make the sense.  Especially since most of the comics and novels (if not all, idk) happen in space.  Plus the lack of resources and isolation from the rest of humanity would make the situation more precarious for the humans - believably.  Then the stars of the show (the alien and predator) can take over. 

The ideal would basically be to ratchet things up and up for the first two acts, and then blow out the gears in the final act with the Alien and Predator. Have alien and predator take turns picking away at the people from both sides. The Predator can wipe out and take on the big guns, the alien can do it's thing in the vents and sub levels, and then the two can be drawn into battle somewhere in between. I've always said that, more or less, FvsJ was the ideal "versus" film, and how they intermixed the lores of both franchises was pretty solid. That's how i'd want it done with the Alien and Predator.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 03, 2018, 07:15:34 PM
Quote from: Wysps on May 31, 2018, 03:04:51 PM

The ideal would basically be to ratchet things up and up for the first two acts, and then blow out the gears in the final act with the Alien and Predator. Have alien and predator take turns picking away at the people from both sides. The Predator can wipe out and take on the big guns, the alien can do it's thing in the vents and sub levels, and then the two can be drawn into battle somewhere in between. I've always said that, more or less, FvsJ was the ideal "versus" film, and how they intermixed the lores of both franchises was pretty solid. That's how i'd want it done with the Alien and Predator.

That'd definitely take care of the whole "team up" issue where Predator/Human work side-by-side, which is kind of hokey imo (as much as I like Noguchi and Delacroix).  It was hard to get past it in the most recent AVP novels.  Here's to hoping that FOX gives another crack at it within the next decade - but judging by the continued hate AVP gets, probably not. 

SM

SM

I think the films have tainted the other media to an extent.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed