Two things I liked from the AVP Reuqiem

Started by nukem11, Jan 22, 2018, 12:32:48 PM

Author
Two things I liked from the AVP Reuqiem (Read 11,931 times)

OpenMaw

It's the only thing the script actually did better than the movie. Wolf was contending with the aliens, and not just walking through them.

Scorpio

The aliens being impotent thing doesn't bother me because AVP are spin-off films and not part of the Alien series of films which includes Alien 1-4 and the prequels.  It's like the AVP video games and comics where most aliens are just cannon fodder for marines and predators.

Wweyland

I also like that AvP: Requiem makes the first movie look good.

Huggs

Quote from: Wweyland on May 12, 2018, 06:59:26 PM

And come September, you're gonna like both of them a whole lot more.  ;)

Wweyland

Quote from: Huggs on May 12, 2018, 07:07:04 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on May 12, 2018, 06:59:26 PM

And come September, you're gonna like both of them a whole lot more.  ;)
I find it hard to believe that The Predator could be any worse than AvP: Requiem. I mean it won't be dark as shit for one thing and you can probably tell what is going on on the screen.

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on May 12, 2018, 06:26:21 PM
The aliens being impotent thing doesn't bother me because AVP are spin-off films and not part of the Alien series of films which includes Alien 1-4 and the prequels.  It's like the AVP video games and comics where most aliens are just cannon fodder for marines and predators.
It's a problem because it removes any tension or drama. If the threat isn't a threat, what's the point?

Scorpio

The tension and drama came from whether Wolf could stop the aliens in time.  He could take out maybe half a dozen at a time easily by himself.  But as you saw in the flashback scene in AVP, when there are thousands of them the predators stand no chance (except to nuke it from orbit but that's not their style).

SiL

Nuking the site when things get too much is literally their style.

Scorpio

When things get too much, yeah, but that's of last resort not first resort.

SiL

Right, by why do I care if Wolf nukes himself or not?

Considering the Aliens are useless throughout the story, the fact he can't keep them under control speaks volumes to his incompetence. I'm more than happy for him to blow himself up to fix a problem he should've been able to stop early on.

If the Aliens had been any kind of actual threat or menace it might be different, but they weren't. I can get behind a character struggling against seemingly insurmountable odds; I can't for one who's only struggling because they're shit at their job.

Scorpio

The bounty hunters in Critters 2 are pretty ineffective as well. 

OpenMaw

Quote from: SiL on May 13, 2018, 02:46:01 AM
Nuking the site when things get too much is literally their style.

On top of which, that's exactly what happened in the movie anyway, and it apparently solved the problem with ease.

No, having Wolf mop the aliens like a janitor was a huge failing of Requiem. The film would have at least been entertaining had Wolf actually gotten more scraped up fighting the aliens.

Some of this might have been helped had we seen Wolf employ new weapons that actually were designed to deal with a spreading alien population. Like the Predator equivalent of a plasma-fire bomb.

SM

SM

Would've been cool for him to improvise and fling one of them laser mines and have it activate in mid-air.

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on May 13, 2018, 05:10:49 AM
The bounty hunters in Critters 2 are pretty ineffective as well.
Which has what to do with anything?

OpenMaw

Listen, it's always a good idea to drop a Critters 2 reference in there.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed