Vincent Ward idea

Started by nukem11, Jan 21, 2018, 09:31:17 PM

Author
Vincent Ward idea (Read 8,282 times)

SM

SM

A mine generates return on investment. A prison generates revenue for contracts to the government. While it is unusual to leave a 'pilot light on' there's an explanation in the film.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: SM on Feb 28, 2018, 09:12:50 PM
A mine generates return on investment. A prison generates revenue for contracts to the government. While it is unusual to leave a 'pilot light on' there's an explanation in the film.

Yeah but I'm fairly sure the script and tid bits I've heard flesh out that these were "Political Prisoners", IE, people trying to incite violence against the modern world. Political prisoners has connotations, it means the government, wherever that may be, Third World Empire, United Americas (Is the EU still around then?) that they were guilty of some sort of insurrection against technology, that at that point in time, you have no way of escaping, right? So the plan would ultimately be, either insurrection or isolation and give them what they want. Whichever Government contracted them to make their own cheap as hell solitude for their dissidents, allowing them to revert back into the reactionary, almost homosexual worship of the West and Christendom.

If the government pays for their own little prison globe where they can do what they want, why not? It prevents further public sympathy if you give them what they want, and wipe your hands clean after it reaches scarcity and say it wasn't their fault. I know it sounds silly, but is it anymore expensive than Fury 161? Look how that turned out.

This whole notion feeds into the plot of the potential Alien 3 we never got actually, it's just a series of power structures refusing to take responsibility even if it means death, brushing it off. Ripley has to deal with this and put an end to it once and for all, the dragon, the metaphorical and physical structure imprisoning her. She might not do it intentionally, but the monks meet their own mirror image in the form of the Alien. They pay dearly for what they preached. The dragon is dead, the structure however small, is dead. Even at the cost of her own life, she has managed to win a symbolic victory, letting Brother John go. Letting someone survive. I would have found it a lot more moving than "RIPLEY, THIS IS THE CHANCE OF A LIFETIME, YOU MUST LET ME HAVE IT, IT'S A MAGNIFICENT SPECIMEN." "NO PICTURES" "NOOOOOOOOOOO" by good ol' Lance.

It feels like Ward didn't want to involve the company because its sequel bait, and he was fine with letting it go. Someone upstairs at Fox (John Landau) said "YOU. CAN'T. QUESTION. THESE. SEXUAL. PROBLEMS. IN SOCIETY. AMERICANS. DON'T. LIKE. THAT. BRING. BACK. THE. COMPANY."

It kind of cheapens the soul of the movie, I think Fincher realized that Ward was right a lot of the time after the fact, but he couldn't do much.

I don't know, I think it would have been a brilliant movie had things gone perfectly. Alas....

SM

SM

QuoteI know it sounds silly, but is it anymore expensive than Fury 161? Look how that turned out.

Like most mines it would've turned out valuable products which the Company then on-sold.  Then had a second lease on life as a prison.  I daresay the Fiorina facility paid for itself several times over a long time prior to the events of the film.  And as evidenced by how rundown it was, the only ongoing costs were twice yearly supply runs.  And still have the benefit of having a foothold in that region of space.

A purpose built custom wooden space station that's five miles across has no discernable profit.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2018, 12:18:47 AM
QuoteI know it sounds silly, but is it anymore expensive than Fury 161? Look how that turned out.

Like most mines it would've turned out valuable products which the Company then on-sold.  Then had a second lease on life as a prison.  I daresay the Fiorina facility paid for itself several times over a long time prior to the events of the film.  And as evidenced by how rundown it was, the only ongoing costs were twice yearly supply runs.  And still have the benefit of having a foothold in that region of space.

A purpose built custom wooden space station that's five miles across has no discernable profit.

I don't know how you could even recoup investment with the export Fury 161 had compared to the trillions terraformed at it. That would require a lot more prisoners, and frankly, the writers were thinking more on terms of a release date than the logic of how this labyrinthine prison would have been feasible.

We can endlessly speculate how or why they did what they did in either case, but neither makes a whole lot of sense. Such is looking too hard into Alien 3. Fincher realized Ward's vision was probably better than whatever David Giler was writing and tried to incorporate as much of it as possible while being slapped with "REAL HUMAN BISHOP" "THE COMPANY" "T.H.E. C.O.M.P.A.N.Y." when the real meat of the story was never the company or its financial status, it was how in either case Ripley overcomes the world she returns to that took everything from her, and reminds her of the Alien everywhere she goes, not only that but she learns she's pregnant with one. The story is about that drama.

I think Vincent Ward probably wasn't as equipped to handle Fox as FIncher, no question. But Ward probably would have come up with a better narrative for Ripley's closure had the stars aligned correctly, I really do think that. Talking about the logic of "why would the world of 2179 build a prison for luddites covered in wood" is pointless because either iteration of Alien 3 makes you have to jump through a ton of logical hoops you just have to accept; but that's also just what the Alien franchise does. How does the Alien grow from chestburster to a 8 foot tall death god so quickly? I don't know. That's not the point of the movie. The point of the movie was the woman battling the figurative dragon and all it represents. So was Aliens. Both incorporate ridiculous and reasonable ideas, but you get caught up in it too much to really second guess them.

If you weren't so hung up about the setting's feasibility you might be able to consider its importance to the narrative as much as it was important for Ripley to crash on a prison. It's about a sexual abuse survivor. From the first movie to the third. The fandom just sort of grew to love the world around it, but at the end of the day, that's what the whole series is about. It isn't about a biological lifeform, it's about a metaphorical demon present in all of man, and Ward rightfully understood that. And what Fincher borrowed from Ward, though not to the same degree as Ward would have liked.

I am fine with a setting that doesn't make sense as long as what the franchise has always been about is tackled, if we get too far into the hard scifi aspects people begin to miss the forest for the trees. Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 are an important adult parable of the dangers and consequences of being hurt by anyone you might even know. There can be a healthy balance, but following Aliens you can't have another action story, if you want another movie you need Jacob's Ladder-tier psychological horror and its similar closure, and they missed a gigantic opportunity by ditching the concepts of Ward's script besides the skeleton for being too artsy. Jon Landau and David Giler and the like have all the blame in the world for that and they can't blame anyone for it but themselves.

Alien isn't about the feasible in the film's setting, it's about the feasible in your life. Fox and the bunch wanted to tone it down and make it more science fiction with "the company" because they were a bunch of Reaganite Conservative types who wouldn't touch such deconstruction and exploration with a ten foot pole. They could have easily done the same on a prison colony, but they didn't. Ripley just saves the day by killing herself and Bishop II screaming "NOOOOOOOOO" while the rape of her body happens because "SHOCK VALUE, GOTCHA! IT'S SYMBOLIC RIGHT...AM I NOT MISSING THE POINT RIGHT NOW?"

All I'm trying to say is that Ward had the right idea on how to confront the third movie and that is through hallucinatory psychological horror, the only thing Giler and Hill were right about was Renny Harlen, Eric Red, David Twohy, and even to my shagrin because he's one of my favorite authors, William Gibson. None of them got what Alien 3 needed to be. The only people who came close were David Fincher and Vincent Ward.

I wouldn't care if they set the movie on a satellite that was a giant creme egg or a prison planet.

They were too distracted by the setting to see what Ward was going for. Something more terrifying than the Alien 3 we received, pulling the rug from under you and remind you that survivors can't fight their way out of the metaphorical sexual abuse the character of Ripley suffered through the advances of the first dragon, and being lured by someone who ended up having over a hundred men women and children violated. You can't win because sexual assault is never that easy, and simply shooting your way out of it won't get you far. You deal with it by accepting that it happened and moving on, and that's what Ripley cannot do in this situation presented by Ward. It's far more tragic, and it's also far more close to home. They kept some of it, but the effect of killing Newt and Hicks by Ward was not for shock so much as it was a reminder that it is never that easy to escape what hurts the most.

Alien lost its way by becoming a franchise celebrating the creature as a movie monster to sell toys to children by the end of Aliens. It almost had a cartoon.

Ward wanted to remind the public not only what the Alien was and what it represented. A leering, abusive, reactionary, power hungry monster taunting its victim over what she failed to do, giving her the child of rape, and sending her to a world of similar reactionaries that would do nothing but abuse her anyways. This movie would not have felt as much as insult as a clear cut violation that needs to be solved. And that's what Alien was always about, regardless if your planet is one of wood sheathed in metal, or a giant hollow creme egg. I love the Assembly Cut of Alien 3, but it simply did not go as hard as Ward would have done. It made the public further lose the point of just what Alien was about as a franchise, allowing Fox to turn it into an action movie series that further celebrates it. By four it became self parody, which is probably the most inappropriate way to deal with the "character", afterwards we had Alien vs Predator which missed the point by millions of miles, and after that we got AVP:R which instead of focusing on defeating this heart of darkness, indulged itself by celebrating the sexual assault by simulating oral sex on a pregnant woman. it was too ahead of its time and the heads of Fox were too busy sexually harassing their secretaries because of the power they had to care about the message Ward wanted to convey to audiences. And in my gut I know Fincher tried to tackle that as best he could but failed. Why, many ask, does Fincher refuse to talk about Alien 3? It's probably because he was bullied by Jon Landau's fat ass as hard as he could into making it a creature feature instead of an exploration of one of society's greatest taboos still in its time.

That does not sell enough toys, was probably something endlessly screamed into the ears of Fincher and Ward by Jon Landau.

The bigger crime than setting an Alien movie on a world that makes little financial sense for "the company" to build, is Fox denying the public a movie that gives adults a real conversation it needed about sexual assault and abuse, giving an audience a glimpse on what being a survivor is truly like. It never happened anyways because Fox wasn't interested in making Alien a disturbing exploration into the psyche of an abuse victim and the beast that represents its grip on her mind, her femininity, her life, and even her ability to accept what has happened. It didn't want a movie exploring the Alien as an abusive partner, or a rapist like it always was meant to be. It wasn't willing to give film makers the ability to explore what the Alien truly was, but to make it something different than what it really was.

I say this as a survivor of a sexual assault early in my life, that the movie Ward envisioned was meant to show every terrible spitting yelling screeching and heart ripping reality of the kind of hideous cruelty that the monster was supposed to represent. Many of us are drawn to the Alien franchise because of the catharsis it represents, and Ward's vision offered it straight to the point. You do not survive the tragedy of being violated by even confronting it (ala Aliens), a family won't help, it lives with you, it is a part of you. It lives with you until you die. And that is exactly what Fox was unwilling to show people who could have gotten a glimpse of why it's taken so seriously. The Alien is not an animal that kills to eat for Ward, it seemingly taunts Ripley for all her faults and makes her relive being spread open across a cryotube and taken in nightmare.

Later it, opens its mouth slowly to reveal Newt's head in nightmare.

It rubs her belly reminding Ripley of her violation, in nightmare.

And it taunts her about its fatherhood, after it took away both her real and surrogate daughter, in nightmare.

Just like I have since this happened to me, the taunts of abuse do not go away with or without the person being present. If they wanted to make a third, they needed to confront, not science, not gore, not the company. It needed to directly address how the Alien will not let her rest until every inch of her body is gone and reminds her that it was never hers, she's property now. It does this by just merely showing up again, the rest is done by Ripley in her nightmares. The alien wasn't doing that, she was.

This is what the Alien represented from 1979.

And that is about exactly what it's like in life, as well.  Ward's concept has always moved me, not for it's unusual visuals but being brave enough to confront what the Alien is.

Ward was never enthusiastic about making a monster movie, a celebration of a monster that reaches into the darkest fears of many and the blackest memories of others. Fox however, was interested in making a monster movie, and continued for years. Their very own Bela Lugosi until he dries up and ends up giving Ed Wood advice.

That's worse than setting the movie in a wooden world.

Maybe how I see the films is different than how others do, but I don't think Giger enjoyed the beast being turned into something it wasn't either.

This was difficult for me to post and to put into words.

SM

SM

I don't know how you could even recoup investment with the export Fury 161 had compared to the trillions terraformed at it.

Same way you do any other mine.  There's a big initial outlay and it can take years before it starts to pay off.
We don't even know if Fiorina need to be terraformed.

We can endlessly speculate how or why they did what they did in either case, but neither makes a whole lot of sense.

The mine makes sense.  A wooden planetoid does not and you've yet to make an argument that it does.  Your constant dismissive handwaving and endlessly going over stuff that's completely irrelevant to the 'wooden planet' issue in an attempt at distraction shows this conversation has been at a dead end for some time, and beyond resurrecting.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2018, 07:38:13 PM
I don't know how you could even recoup investment with the export Fury 161 had compared to the trillions terraformed at it.

Same way you do any other mine.  There's a big initial outlay and it can take years before it starts to pay off.
We don't even know if Fiorina need to be terraformed.

We can endlessly speculate how or why they did what they did in either case, but neither makes a whole lot of sense.

The mine makes sense.  A wooden planetoid does not and you've yet to make an argument that it does.  Your constant dismissive handwaving and endlessly going over stuff that's completely irrelevant to the 'wooden planet' issue in an attempt at distraction shows this conversation has been at a dead end for some time, and beyond resurrecting.

My issue isn't the setting. My issue is that it Ward had a better handle for the material he was dealing with. Sexual assault, a metaphorical way sure. But the story of a woman over coming her troubles is very motivating to me. A story is not as much about setting as it is motivation and emotion.

He could have placed it on a Fury 161, he should have. But, it's clear Fincher and Ward shared a similar vision deemed to adult. Especially Ward.

And Fox and Jon didn't like that. I find it insulting they let it go. Alien was a cheesy Dan OBannon script before rewrites, but Jon Landau wanted to scream about a release date and merchandising over a story that's basis by Ward was about a sexual abuse survivor over coming what hurt her, even if it meant her death. And letting someone else survive to tell her story. A legend lost to time, as it should have been.

Ward's vision moved me as an abuse survivor. More than GIler's  rewrites to fuse it. I guess, the difference is, I'm attracted to the series as a sense of closure for myself. And this would have offered that. And it would have given a more mature dissection of what the alien is to the human psyche.

I find it really irresponsible for Fox to do that just to sell more toys instead of have an adult art film. Like Alien wasn't an art film.

I don't mean to insult you, I just find Ward's script more moving as someone who survived. I feel the same way about Alien 3's Assembly Cut, but a fusion between the two would have been even better. I think Fincher realized that too, and that's when Giler and Jon went in and said "Hey hey hey, cool it down" and the arguments started.

I just, wish there was more of the conversation about scripts and topics like this that could have been explored about assault. That's what Ward's overall vision was, that's all. I do not know why he couldn't set it on Fury 161, I do admit that.

Huggs

Huggs

I think the most important thing that gets lost in the shuffle when thinking about the whole "wood covered planet" notion is that it just sounds entertaining. Science and real-world feasibility aside, the setting and the script were fun and entertaining, and it would've been an amazing movie to see. I think it was Ray Harryhausen that once said something to the effect of going to movies to avoid reality and to be lost in fantasy. To see amazing things and experience something unique. Like Jason and the Argonauts or Godzilla. Giants lizards destroying cities, sword swinging skeletons, none of it makes any kind of sense, but God is it good entertainment.

Rush Hour Rambo

Rush Hour Rambo

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 06, 2018, 03:51:22 AM
I think the most important thing that gets lost in the shuffle when thinking about the whole "wood covered planet" notion is that it just sounds entertaining. Science and real-world feasibility aside, the setting and the script were fun and entertaining, and it would've been an amazing movie to see. I think it was Ray Harryhausen that once said something to the effect of going to movies to avoid reality and to be lost in fantasy. To see amazing things and experience something unique. Like Jason and the Argonauts or Godzilla. Giants lizards destroying cities, sword swinging skeletons, none of it makes any kind of sense, but God is it good entertainment.

Folk wanting sense in a series about an alien creature which burst's out of your chest  :laugh:

SM

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2018, 11:38:32 AM
Just because it's explained doesn't mean it makes sense, as far as I'm aware, wood is not a suitable building material for a God-damn space station :P

Not for an air-tight structure, no, but there's no reason it couldn't do what it did within the parameters of Ward's idea.

SM

SM

Apart from the fact the motive for actually building it in the first place lacked any sort of credibility.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Honestly, Arceon would have made more sense had it started out as the brainchild of some crazy and rich benefactor who found Jesus and wanted to give his church and its followers a new life far away from decadent Earth and its vile corporatist society.

Essentially, The Village in space.

Now, let's get SiL to direct this bitch.

SM

SM

That would work too.

Guy Pearce can play the rich guy.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I was thinking that Eccentric Rich Dude would be long dead for Arceon to be in such a sad state of disrepair, but it's not my movie.

Either way, I still picture Brian Glover being more or less in charge of the place.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed