Vincent Ward idea

Started by nukem11, Jan 21, 2018, 09:31:17 PM

Author
Vincent Ward idea (Read 8,278 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Gibson's script was probably the most conventional sequel idea they had for Alien 3. I imagined it would have always ended up on par with a film like Robocop 2 in terms of sequel-quality. Good, entertaining and less problematic than other takes, not necessarily amazing.

Ward's idea worked just fine. It's not a literal "planet" it's a large-ish space station with a central power core that provides life support and such, with the outer-shell being made of wood planks. The entire story is basically about a society that's already doomed when the Alien shows up. They find out later on that the power supply is almost gone, and the monks had been cannibalizing parts of the "planet" already. 

The sheep alien thing, as I recall, was a hallucination and not a "real" thing.

One of the closest instances of literal rape in the series occurs as one of Ripley's nightmares, too. She has this strange dream, running through the hallways of the ship, and getting cornered by the alien near a cryo-pod. Implications of literal rape. Though it's all her mind interpreting being impregnated with a queen.

The alien itself too was a new strain. It wasn't a basic warrior, but something else. It's implied it was the sole male of the hive, and as a result it demonstrated strange abilities, like it's skin changing to match the environment.

The final film we got is what happens when a very creative idea like Ward's is twisted towards something more conventional.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 28, 2018, 09:24:21 PM
Gibson's script was probably the most conventional sequel idea they had for Alien 3. I imagined it would have always ended up on par with a film like Robocop 2 in terms of sequel-quality. Good, entertaining and less problematic than other takes, not necessarily amazing.

Ward's idea worked just fine. It's not a literal "planet" it's a large-ish space station with a central power core that provides life support and such, with the outer-shell being made of wood planks. The entire story is basically about a society that's already doomed when the Alien shows up. They find out later on that the power supply is almost gone, and the monks had been cannibalizing parts of the "planet" already. 

The sheep alien thing, as I recall, was a hallucination and not a "real" thing.

One of the closest instances of literal rape in the series occurs as one of Ripley's nightmares, too. She has this strange dream, running through the hallways of the ship, and getting cornered by the alien near a cryo-pod. Implications of literal rape. Though it's all her mind interpreting being impregnated with a queen.

The alien itself too was a new strain. It wasn't a basic warrior, but something else. It's implied it was the sole male of the hive, and as a result it demonstrated strange abilities, like it's skin changing to match the environment.

The final film we got is what happens when a very creative idea like Ward's is twisted towards something more conventional.

The "exorcism" scene was extraordinary, i remember reading this with my mouth open the whole time  :laugh:

SM

SM

QuoteWard's idea worked just fine. It's not a literal "planet" it's a large-ish space station with a central power core that provides life support and such, with the outer-shell being made of wood planks.

The second sentence seems to be at odds with 'fine'.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 22, 2018, 09:07:47 AM
I can't say I've ever really liked the concept. While I appreciate the attempt to do something different it just doesn't sound particularly "realistic" to me. I understand the themes behind it and think it's certainly interesting it just doesn't feel like something that would fit as an Alien film.

Ultimately, Alien 3 would rob some aspects of this for the finished film though. The religion, the all male cast, Brother John (I think it was?) becoming Clemens.

That said, I'd still like to see the whole Alien in the field scene. I know The Lost World did it but I'd still love to see something like that in an Alien film.

Eh, I'm rather more fond of the man taking a shit, and the alien reaches up his ass and fists his organs out scene. I want Xenomorph fisting action. Vincent Ward absolutely knew what we wanted, and that's an alien to reach up a man's ass like a meat puppet and drag out all his organs. It has to be done once before I die. pr or I'll die with a chunk of me missing. Not seeing that on the silver screen.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Jan 30, 2018, 03:30:24 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 22, 2018, 09:07:47 AM
I can't say I've ever really liked the concept. While I appreciate the attempt to do something different it just doesn't sound particularly "realistic" to me. I understand the themes behind it and think it's certainly interesting it just doesn't feel like something that would fit as an Alien film.

Ultimately, Alien 3 would rob some aspects of this for the finished film though. The religion, the all male cast, Brother John (I think it was?) becoming Clemens.

That said, I'd still like to see the whole Alien in the field scene. I know The Lost World did it but I'd still love to see something like that in an Alien film.

Eh, I'm rather more fond of the man taking a shit, and the alien reaches up his ass and fists his organs out scene. I want Xenomorph fisting action. Vincent Ward absolutely knew what we wanted, and that's an alien to reach up a man's ass like a meat puppet and drag out all his organs. It has to be done once before I die. pr or I'll die with a chunk of me missing. Not seeing that on the silver screen.

You want Xenomorph fisting action done before you die? That escalated quickly.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Well Giger wanted to go through the mouth instead... however why wouldn't an alien go through someones ass.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Ridley Scott: Let's make talk about the space jockey
me, a film student: Just make the alien fist a man, you did a shower sex scene. Just have a man, on the loo, innocent as can be. And alien comes up  and grabs his ass. Is it any more ridiculous than where the story currently is.

Borrow Ward's idea like you Borrowed Gibson's. There is no place else to go in terms of aliens killing people. We've exhausted it.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 03, 2018, 12:31:53 AM
Well Giger wanted to go through the mouth instead... however why wouldn't an alien go through someones ass.

Even better. At this point in the franchise, make a xenomorph eat a man's ass. Over a hundred theory videos on youtube will ask "Do Xenomorphs eat ass"

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Didn't they do that in Dreamcatcher?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 03, 2018, 04:18:23 PM

Oh god don't remind me. It's this sites fault that I ever watched that movie. :P

Rush Hour Rambo

Rush Hour Rambo

It was a wonderful idea, a properly gothic sci-fi Alien film. Terrific vibe. Techno-medieval, love it.

At the centre of the station was a medieval glassworks used to make mirror's. These were used to direct sunlight around the station for solar panels, If I remember correctly. I guess the movie ending with lead was born here but obviously with glass.

It's a real shame it never happened, it's so imaginatively thought out.

nukem11

nukem11

Can anyone find the burning field artwork. Its on the special edition making of. Or all of the field artworks.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 03, 2018, 04:18:23 PM

Lol Shit Weasels. Watched that this weekend actually

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Jan 29, 2018, 09:29:15 PM
QuoteWard's idea worked just fine. It's not a literal "planet" it's a large-ish space station with a central power core that provides life support and such, with the outer-shell being made of wood planks.

The second sentence seems to be at odds with 'fine'.

No, it doesn't. When you understand why it was made of wood, which is perfectly explained in the script.

SiL

SiL

Just because it's explained doesn't mean it makes sense, as far as I'm aware, wood is not a suitable building material for a God-damn space station :P

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2018, 11:38:32 AM
Just because it's explained doesn't mean it makes sense, as far as I'm aware, wood is not a suitable building material for a God-damn space station :P

Its not the building material though, its the inner coating of the Station. The outside would look like a normalish station

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed