New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios

Started by Moosh89, Jan 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM

Author
New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios (Read 154,361 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 11, 2019, 11:28:02 PM
I might have actually played Isolation if it was more like Dead Space.

You still should.

Local Trouble

Is not playing Isolation akin to not playing KOTOR2?

Schrödinger

100% worth it.  If you're an Alien/Aliens fan, it is the only modern game that actually does the franchise justice. Don't let not being able to shoot off limbs, or forced into a First Person View keep ya from enjoying one of the best gems this generation. Instead of running and gunning like you can in dead space on the hardest difficulty, in Isolation it has an actual fear factor. You can craft stuff like noisemakers and throw it into a group of enemies to make the alien go say hi, or bypass various areas with tools you find. Not to mention the lore that can be found on terminals.

Voodoo Magic

I'm not saying they should change Dead Space, nor it's not a great game, nor certain gameplay is just better when its in third person.

I'm just saying third person never delivers the level of horror or claustrophobia like a first person can in my opinion.

Why is VR in first person. Because it's simulating you actually being there. And my brain reacts in fear more to to a sensation of being there and being attacked, than a little character getting attacked. When I'm peering around the corner in a first person shooter, when I'm afraid of what's behind me, because just like in real life, I don't have eyes in the back of my head?  That's the stuff.

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 11, 2019, 11:33:07 PM

You're missing out if you are a fan of the first film. That is if you don't mind a slow paced game that isnt about shooting everything to win. Its not perfect but its easlily the best alien game ever made. Its a bit too long and depending on you skill, pretty unforgiving.

Not that I mind if you dont play it. I got to experience it and thats what really matters.  ;)

The Old One

The Old One

No.

They aren't remotely the same, KOTOR 2's a refutation of George Lucas'
ideas of good versus evil, and the force being magical instead of the/
a manipulative God that essentially causes endless ideological war.

-

Isolation's just an expansion on what was already there, like SW Rogue One-
that also fixes a minor plot hole (The Beacon, Aliens/The exhaust port, SW)
But unlike Rogue One IMO- it feels like a spiritual send off to Ellen Ripley,
Sigourney Weaver as that's the last (hopefully) time poignantly the player
and Amanda Ripley will ever hear from her, which is partially why filling
the character of Amanda Ripley's shoes works so well.
It also features the best Alien design,
the best interpretation of the Derelict,
the best hive level / hive revelation.
the best "Alien Ron Cobb" location
and environment design since 1979.
The Working Joes, Apollo, Seegson.

Potential human and android enemies,
with an Alien you don't have the means
to kill thrown in the mix, which can be a
advantage or disadvantage depending.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 11, 2019, 11:39:47 PM
When I'm peering around the corner in a first person shooter, when I'm afraid of what's behind me, because just like in real life, I don't have eyes in the back of my head?  That's the stuff.

"Holy shit, Voodoo! It's behind you!"

Me and Verm watch helplessly as Voodoo gets his head bitten by an Alien sneaking up behind him in-game. There's brains and beer everywhere and we know we are down a valuable teammate.

Then Verm starts spraying Aliens with lead while howling obscenities and Hudson quotes.

Is this an accurate picture of what this game could be like, Voodoo?

The Old One

The Old One

I'm not saying they should change Dead Space, nor it's not a great game, nor certain gameplay is just better when its in third person.

I'm just saying third person never delivers the level of horror or claustrophobia like a first person can in my opinion.

Why is VR in first person. Because it's simulating you actually being there. And my brain reacts in fear more to to a sensation of being there and being attacked, than a little character getting attacked. When I'm peering around the corner in a first person shooter, when I'm afraid of what's behind me, because just like in real life, I don't have eyes in the back of my head?  That's the stuff.

VR's (excuse my French) a gimmick POS.

TPS horror > FPS horror. Every time.

I don't thing there's even a single horror FPS,
that comes close to the critical and financial
success of the Resident Evil, Dead Space &
Silent Hill series.

Huggs

It's akin to not watching the first movie. You'd only be robbing yourself of a benchmark experience.

As for TP vs FP, I'd say both Dead Space and Isolation were perfectly built for their specific stories, and proved that both styles are equally effective.

426Buddy

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 12, 2019, 12:20:41 AM

It's akin to not watching the first movie. You'd only be robbing yourself of a benchmark experience.

As for TP vs FP, I'd say both Dead Space and Isolation were perfectly built for their specific stories, and proved that both styles are equally effective.

Completely agree

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 12, 2019, 12:04:46 AM

If you think I'm making a case for VR games, I'm not, and you're missing my point.

QuoteTPS horror > FPS horror. Every time.

I get that's your opinion, that differs from mine.

QuoteI don't thing there's even a single horror FPS,
Silent Hill series.

When should critical or financial success affect one's opinion? It's still going to be my opinion, regardless what may come from pulling up comparisons to Doom, F.E.A.R., Alien: Isolation or whatever.

Schrödinger

Schrödinger

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 12, 2019, 12:04:46 AM

TPS horror > FPS horror. Every time.

I don't thing there's even a single horror FPS,
Silent Hill series.

IDK. Lot of fun VR games like Lone Echo, Beat Saber, Space Pirate Trainer,  Moss,Firewall Zero Hour, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Thumber, and about 40 others. A Gimmick = a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.  In this case, it's not a gimmick at all as it's actually already in business and is properly marketed and does have a growing fanbase.  Also, you never said anything French (I know it's a metaphor, but one that never actually made logical sense.)

But onto the topic: Dead Space and the Resident Evil games within themselves are fun Third Person Shooters, but I wouldn't classify them as "Horror" despite them being marketed as such.Financial and Critical success is important in a business standpoint that focuses on General Consumers, not the hardcore gamer who likes to get lost in a game and be fully immersed, and not many market to those types. But oddly, for what it was, the OG AvP games were FPV only, and brought legit fear at various points, and they were, for the time, bit hits alongside games like SWAT3 which may be a tactical shooter, did have it's own fear factor due to how it was designed.  So there are FPS games that have outdone TPV games in the fear department. Oh and the first F.E.A.R game.

A good explanation onto why FPV works well with specific games is how CD Projekt RED talked about why they went for FPV for Cyberpunk 2077 and not Third Person. It gives more immersion so that you can look at finer details, only see that which makes sense, keeps you in the narrative, and allows for a more personal experience. Where as third person games are more along the lines of seeing it all and tend to take you out of various contexts. 

For a horror game, FPV can be done very well and give a proper fearfactor that Third Person can never give. Tis why Isolation was so good as a horror game itself. With third person, you don't get that rush, the adrenaline; and you're actually "Detached" from the character you control. Now can a third person game be scary? Sure, so can Tetris. But not in the way FPV can offer it. For an Aliens game, that is also a shooter, FPV I think will be a very important design choice.

Granted, it is an online game. So I assume it'll be optional, which is even better because that means more people playing together.

Corporal Hicks

It was originally going to be a third person but because all the developers kept swinging the camera into first person perspective, they changed it properly. Personally, I'm glad it was first person. (I still need to play Dead Space, though.)

426Buddy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 12, 2019, 10:34:29 AM

It was originally going to be a third person but because all the developers kept swinging the camera into first person perspective, they changed it properly. Personally, I'm glad it was first person. (I still need to play Dead Space, though.)

Play Dead Space 1 & 2, I think you will really enjoy them.

Two of my favorite games of all time.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 12, 2019, 12:04:46 AMTPS horror > FPS horror. Every time.

Co-sign.  Anyone disagrees, come at me bro.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed