New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios

Started by Moosh89, Jan 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM

Author
New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios (Read 154,327 times)

Schrödinger

Well, I don't think it's gonna be a "Battle Royale" game. While by technicality a BR game is a massive multiplayer online game, I think they mean MMO in the sense of like Anarchy Online or WoW or even Star Wars Galaxies. 

In which, I think they'd have more luck with a Marines Only Survival game instead of that cause let's face it.

The aliens won't be brutal and scary if:
1: You got typical MMO Gameplayer where everything is a bullet sponge.
2: You got typical MMO gameplay where death is just a little hurdle and nothing to worry about.
3: You got typical MMO gameplay where "You're the chosen one" bullshit.
4: You get the typical MMO AI that is ass.
5: Third person will everything on your HUD being cheaty...

Cold Iron, if you read shit here... Here's some ideas for ya.
If it was:
1: First Person only with no HUD
2: Tracker is a tool not a HUD element, along with Compass, Watch, Map, ect.
3: Primary Story based on Character and death limits (5 allowed daily deaths and no you can't "Buy more lives". f**k MTXs), Permadeath on special operations.
4: Death is fast and visceral as hell for both aliens and marines.
5: Classes (Medic, Smartgunner, MARSOC, Pilot, Combat Engineer, ect.) each with their own kits and required (Player)skill to understand and operate. No "Do it all" types that make games unbalanced solo-trash.
6: A "Alien" character that can be used in "Control Zones" for those who wanna do that, or focused "PvP" arena matches inside of Hives for "Simulated Battles" (You know, for the Care-Bears).
7: Primary Cosmetics are unlocked through GAMEPLAY not Microtransactions.  Cosmetic Microtransactions are okay as long as it's not lootboxes and core-lore equipment.  No Pay To Git Gud.
8: A Before You Buy trial period for 7 days (With no walled off content) to allow you to explore all classes on several individual characters to find the playstyle you love the most. 

I'd pay out the ass for that. No questions asked

Kimarhi

I just want them to make an old school fps game.

Isolation where you can kill the enemy.

I'm not sure how much a 3rd person shooter style division-esque type mechanics would work FPS.

But maybe it would.  I mean I like both division games dont get me wrong, but a game based on tension and elements of horror where you can just automatic respawn because some guy kneels next to you just seems random in an Alien series game.

Schaefer

I am a bit affraid that since Battle royale seems to be the new trend to make some cash that this game might be just this.
I hope i am wrong
(sorry for my english and hi everyone first post)

Corporal Hicks

Well, if you think about it, Alien vs. Predator has had a kind of battle royale mode for ages in the way of Survivor/Infestation.

Schrödinger

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 01, 2019, 09:52:00 AM
Well, if you think about it, Alien vs. Predator has had a kind of battle royale mode for ages in the way of Survivor/Infestation.

Eh to a degree maybe. But not full-on BR based on what people expect of it.  Modern BR? Nah, that'll kill the gaming part of the franchise for good. No one will take it seriously cause it's already been done by every other company out there in some manner.   They'd be better off making a proper MMO if they want to do that but with some tweaks to make it actually feel "Aliens".

JokersWarPig

Tbh I'm not for a battle royal mode. I've never liked them (except for Halo Combat Evolved)  and I don't know how most people do.

Infestation was a great game mode, probably my favorite from AVP2010, but I don't know if I'd say it's a battle royal

molasar

molasar

Personally, I would like to have it made in a modern style of Jaguar's AvP (semi hub based open world), without Predators in this case, but with more arcadey gameplay than cinematic-simulator one.
The great gameplay, and its loop, is the bottom line here.

Maybe they treat it as a reboot of Aliens Online from 1998?

Still Collating...

Yeah, I'm also worried because of the current state of the industry. Above all else, the possibility of microtransactions making the game Pay to Win and making everything feel like a grind cause that goes hand in hand. No bullet sponges please. Nothing ruins the fun more than that cause it can feel so unrealistic. A normal marine and an alien warrior need to be able to be killed quickly with the right weapons. Make it fast and ruthless.

AVP2010 and A:CM did well there at least when it came to the multiplayer, the characters weren't damage sponges. Though A:CM was overdoing it in Bug Hunt at the final levels. Giving the enemy more health for higher difficulty is the laziest thing I can think of. Raise the damage that the player receives, but the enemy must go down in a realistic manner too. For greater difficulty, it's not that hard to do with alien NPCs. Just throw more of them at once at the player, make the aliens faster or maybe even the unthinkable? Make them smarter?! More flanking, tactics on their side, or the use of more difficult attacks etc...

I really wish this game the best of luck, I'm just worried that the core if its idea will be corrupted by the current game market which is more then demoralizing. Just the addition of predatory microtransactions is not a mere addition of the mechanic, if its present, the whole game is built around it and the fun gets sucked out of the game much faster than normal.

For now, it's promising that the last big game, Alien Isolation set a good standard in how to please the fans and gain cult status and another good thing was that Blackout had no microtransactions, so not all is bleak yet.

JokersWarPig

The only microtransactions I'm normally ok with are cosmetic ones.
Tripwire interactive seems to understand that and it doesn't cause any kind of problem within their communities for games like Killing Floor 2 and Rising Storm 2.

You want your marine to have black armor instead of a normal screen inspired look? Go ahead and pay $5.99 or what ever, if it doesn't affect game play its cool with me.

Still Collating...

Agreed, cosmetics aren't a problem for me either and if we have the miracle of not seeing lootboxes in the game, I'm gonna be thrilled.

The Old One

The Old One

Just follow the philosophy of CDPROJEKT RED And success is inevitable.

Huggs

I miss the days when games were released complete and the extra stuff was unlocked by just playing the darn game.

molasar

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 01, 2019, 11:06:32 PM
They are not up to the same business model and CDPROJEKT RED itself emulates Rockstar Games in this matter. Take as much time you need to make a top notch product, and it pays off. I am pessimistic here, but you never know. I predict that it is going to be a generic cash grab with better graphics, more cinematic ones, than the ones from the last alien franchise games. Because of it, they will become old fast in comparison to other AAA games. I would like to be wrong about it.
   The other painful thing is to find the golden rule for an artistic-aesthetic approach between gameplay, graphics and audio (music and sound) which is an issue for all developers. For example, it has taken CD PROJEKT RED a long time to find it for CYBERPUNK 2077. Even if they can make the new Alien FPS game looks 100% photo realistic, it is not the way to go - I believe. Too many details next to each other are not good for human sight in a fast paced action game. Look good on screenshots but do not in a movement as I have written in one of my previous posts.

The Old One

The Old One

I know, it's a balancing act. But it isn't always immediately apparent the realism is overdone, it usually appears upon the game aging and more stylised entries standing the test of time.

Schrödinger

Quote from: molasar on Aug 02, 2019, 12:58:44 AM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 01, 2019, 11:06:32 PM
They are not up to the same business model and CDPROJEKT RED itself emulates Rockstar Games in this matter. Take as much time you need to make a top notch product, and it pays off. I am pessimistic here, but you never know. I predict that it is going to be a generic cash grab with better graphics, more cinematic ones, than the ones from the last alien franchise games. Because of it, they will become old fast in comparison to other AAA games. I would like to be wrong about it.
   The other painful thing is to find the golden rule for an artistic-aesthetic approach between gameplay, graphics and audio (music and sound) which is an issue for all developers. For example, it has taken CD PROJEKT RED a long time to find it for CYBERPUNK 2077. Even if they can make the new Alien FPS game looks 100% photo realistic, it is not the way to go - I believe. Too many details next to each other are not good for human sight in a fast paced action game. Look good on screenshots but do not in a movement as I have written in one of my previous posts.

I think the real issue is Fox/FoxNext/Disney isn't gonna follow the CDPR (Pro Consumer) mentality on game design anyways. I don't mind good graphics, but I've noticed for western games it's either "Gameplay" or "Graphics". You can't have both, and since pretty flashy graphics sells better on demo reels, gameplay gets f**ked in the ass. And I agree with you, an over the top super photorealistic Aliens Game would be silly. We don't need unrealistic motion blur at 9999999, we don't need Depth of Field, we don't need full particle simulation, ect.  Cool for the people with 5000$ rigs, but most people just turn that shit off anyways.

Let's face it, other games under their reign(Disney) ended up like SWBF(ea)1 and 2 (Both had "Photorealism"), a bunch of Mobile Games, ect.   They are gonna go where they think they need to go to appease investors instead of making solid content that would sell itself.  So this MMO in the Cinematic Aliens Universe is gonna be filled to the brim with microtransactions, silly gimmicks, overpriced skins, "XP" boosters, ect instead of being a good core game.   

And I think you're 100% right in thinking this is going to be a cash grab.

It'll look pretty, It'll sound awesome on paper and in marketing videos, it may even have a really badass tutorial section before you get slammed with a "Pay to exit noobie ship! 19.99!".  But I'm calling it right now, this MMO is gonna be a money sink to trick fools and desperate fans.  If I'm wrong when it comes out whenever it does, then I will legit eat a 2006 Veggie-Omlette MRE as punishment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed