Rumors Of Alien Covenant sequel cancelled?

Started by GreybackElder, Dec 27, 2017, 12:54:20 AM

Author
Rumors Of Alien Covenant sequel cancelled? (Read 7,052 times)

GreybackElder

Woof. Before I post about another rumor maybe I'll run I by Hicks first!

kwisatz

:D

I hear Fincher is interested in remaking Aliens.

tleilaxu

I hear George Lucas is interested in making his own set of Alien prequels, taking place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

kwisatz

Fake rumours obviously. George Lucas is bankrupt.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 27, 2017, 02:38:56 PM
Fxxx that!  What the fxxx are we going to do now?! What are we going to do?! Look, let's just shut this thread down and call it even, okay? What are we talking about this for? I don't want to rain on your parade, but those rumors are going to come in here just like they did before, and they're going to get us!

Right.

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 27, 2017, 04:40:49 PM
This is Rumor Control. Here are the facts. As some of you know, a 337 model movie blog article landed here at 0600 on the morning watch. There was one rumor, two dead innuendos, and a hearsay that was smashed hopelessly beyond repair. The rumor is a blathermorph. We are well aware of your feelings on a blathermorph. You will be pleased to know that I have requested a rumor scrub team. Hopefully, they will arrive here inside of a week and evacuate the rumor A.S.A.P

Right.

I quoted him. It's just a precaution. Doesn't mean we're engaged or anything...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

In lieu of a front page post -

Last week we reported on some new comments made by Ridley Scott and at the end of the article included a recent report from Omega Underground and a supporting tidbit we'd found about how Alien: Covenant 2 (aka Alien: Awakening) had initially been expected to start shooting next year. You can read the article here - Sir Ridley Scott Thinks Alien Should Be On "Same Level For Fans as Star Trek and Star Wars"

Since we posted that most of the larger outlets have ran with that rumour and it's pretty much all over the internet now. Couple that with Neill Blomkamp renewing general interest in his Alien 5 pitch by posting new concept art and the Internet seems abuzz with the notion that Fox has cancelled Alien: Covenant's sequel and Blomkamp's is back on.

Since most of these reports are referring back to us for finding the Blu-ray.com forum post, we wanted to just offer some extra context and clarification. We hadn't made it a headline ourselves as it was unconfirmed. Thanks to AvPGalaxy member Biomechanoid, we know that Human Media's public profile gives his real name as Carl Braga who according to IMDB worked on Alien: Covenant as a screen graphics designer. So the odds of the comment genuinely coming from someone who worked on the film seems quite likely.

However, the post was made in September of 2017 and referred to pre-production being originally slated to begin that month. Also back in September, 20th Century Fox CEO Stacey Snider discussed the future of the Alien series saying that Alien: Covenant had been a disappointment but that "I trust Ridley [Scott] and Emma [Watts] to know the right story when they find it."  Just a couple of months earlier, in July, reports also came out that Fox had been "reassessing" the extra movies that Scott had initially wanted to do.

What this seems to indicate is that whatever direction Sir Ridley Scott had been leaning in for the Covenant sequel was not the one that 20th Century Fox ultimately wanted to move forward in. As a result of the reassessment, the sequel in it's then current form was likely shelved while Scott and Watt's explored a different direction for the sequel.

Fox representatives hadn't been shy about how Alien: Covenant hadn't performed as well as expected. Producer Fred Baron had told the Sydney Morning Herald"It got great reviews and was everything we set out for it to be, it just didn't hit the note at the box office. It will be a profitable film for the studio but whether there's another one [is uncertain]."

Since these reports of the apparent reassessment of the direction of future Alien films, Scott has certainly been happily talking about his current direction, that the films would be moving towards Artificial Intelligence (and presumably David) taking an even more central role in his prequel films which would seem to indicate he's still working away on the concept.

In the same article this rumour had been generated from, we also reported that Scott had said that "they're crazy if they don't. David is a fantastic villain. I love what (Michael Fassbender) did in Covenant. But it's f—ing hard, dude. We lifted Alien out of a ditch and made Prometheus."

Does that mean that a sequel to Alien: Covenant is guaranteed? Of course not. It would seem to be that it is definitely not a green-lit certainty at this point. But it also doesn't mean that a sequel has been cancelled as work seems to be being done on it still.

Some videos from the Alien YouTubers that I think are worth a watch and pretty on the mark.

Biomechanoid

Okay, I admit, your announcement is better than mine, but I would like to add that we should stick to our routine posting and not get unduly agitated. Correct? Thank you, gentlemen.

Prof. a

Well for a film to be dead, it actually had to be alive first.

There's a lot of confusion about the development process and greenlighting. There are many, many films constantly in development. If you are a big Hollywood player, you've got many different scripts and films "in development" - doesn't mean that they've been given the official go-ahead or "greenlight".  Someone like Scott or Spielberg have several different film projects at their disposal - they make the one which is ready to go with financing in place and cast/crew hired and ready to work.  Some projects never get made (doesn't mean they are cancelled per se) while others may take years. Spielberg's Lincoln film was in development for many, many years before it was eventually made.

The next Alien film was never officially "greenlit" - the studio has not dated a release, nor has any official announcement ever been made (as far as I know). So, the film could not be cancelled since it was never given the go-ahead. The next Alien film has been in development or "development hell" since Covenant was in production. Maybe some preliminary work has been done but there never was an official greenlight. People make pitches, write scripts, or do some concept work all the time - it doesn't mean that the work will result in a film.  We know there is some interest from the CEO - but she hasn't announced there will be a sequel yet.

Remember Alien: Covenant was not officially greenlit until 2015 with a title announcement, release date, and cast/crew announcements. The film was in development since 2012 - when Prometheus was released.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Prof. a on Dec 28, 2017, 08:32:29 PM

It was, because it was slated to start filming, and then the plug was pulled and a whole bunch of stuff auctioned off.

Prof. a

Prof. a

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 28, 2017, 08:42:50 PM
Quote from: Prof. a on Dec 28, 2017, 08:32:29 PM

It was, because it was slated to start filming, and then the plug was pulled and a whole bunch of stuff auctioned off.

As far as I know, the studio NEVER officially greenlit a starting date. That's the problem nowadays - every one gets info (and takes it as gospel) from some website with no credentials or actual journalistic integrity.

I read reports about the "auction" from not credible sources.

Filming was scheduled? Unless you've got a press release from the studio or an article from a legit source, we have no idea that is true. I know Scott mentioned that filming would be begin within a certain time frame - but (believe it or not) that is not an official "greenlight". The money people (the studio heads) are the ones that make the final decision/announcement.

Does anybody have any sources that Fox officially greenlit another Alien film? Scott's comments are not enough - he said the similar things about Prometheus 2 in 2012.

Corporal Hicks

I don't believe it was ever officially stated anywhere that Alien: Covenant 2 was a go. And to be honest, it's a complete uncertainty until it goes in front of the cameras. Just look at Alien 5.

BishopShouldGo

Anyone else remember the Magellan pics from pre-production on Prometheus...

SM

whiterabbit

"This is so nuts. I mean, listen - listen to what you're saying. It's paranoid delusion. How - It's really sad. It's pathetic. ~Burk, Carter J."

Man we seriously aren't gonna last another 17 hours.

Scorpio

Box office + critical reception of All the Money In the World and The Cartel will be huge deciding factor for Fox/Disney over Neill Blomkamp, who hasn't had a big success since 2009.  The Gone World is still way off, and may not even get made.  Numbers don't lie.  The execs look at who has the better track record. Ridley is still at the top of his game, Blomkamp doesn't have a chance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed