Predators Issue

Started by DerelictShip, Dec 12, 2017, 05:06:26 PM

Author
Predators Issue (Read 6,138 times)

Master

Master

While SP are not super at all, they do act differently. They are more like poachers then hunters, with all those traps and abduction to their own game preserve. Piles of skulls and other parts in their hunting camp also resembles those of rare animals found in poacher hideouts.

As a movie it`s medicore, many wasted opportunities in this one. For me this is similar level as AvP. In fact I think that what Predators did good, AvP failed and other way around. I agree first part was much better then the second.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Even though I wasn't a fan of this particular Predator design, the movie was a fun slasher film.  There were some really cool scenes, like this one:

Can you imagine?

The mixed bag of humans having to work together to survive worked well, even better they used an international group with different levels of sanity.  Still a little burnt that Classic didn't take out Mr. Black, but they had to make a human the hero I guess. 

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Dec 15, 2017, 07:44:15 PM
Even though I wasn't a fan of this particular Predator design, the movie was a fun slasher film.  There were some really cool scenes, like this one:

Can you imagine?

The mixed bag of humans having to work together to survive worked well, even better they used an international group with different levels of sanity.  Still a little burnt that Classic didn't take out Mr. Black, but they had to make a human the hero I guess.

Yeah Classic got wrecked, but he put up a decent fight considering he was wounded and probably starving.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I love Predators. I loved it the first time I saw it and I still enjoy it now. It's tied with Predator for me. Now, I know there are some issues with it. I know it was made on the cheap and made quickly. There's certainly some stuff in there I would definitely change - primarily I would reduce the number of Berserker Predators to just the one who survives a claymore to the face and some sword wounds - but I loved the overall experience.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Still waiting for a sequel, hopefully soon.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2017, 04:26:47 PM
primarily I would reduce the number of Berserker Predators

All they needed was 2 predators - Berserker and Classic.  The other two really did not need to be there.

Except to sell more toys, the most likely reason.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Dec 16, 2017, 04:41:01 PM

I highly highly doubt it.

PsyKore

PsyKore

There's a lot of stuff I find pretty average about the film, honestly. And Like SiL mentioned, I hate how the film insults your intelligence by explaining everything. Kinda gets on my nerves.

But there's things and ideas I also like about it. The part, for instance, where the predators set up the trap with Danny Trejo was pretty creepy. I liked that a lot. I also liked Noland's part in the movie. I liked the Hanzo Vs Falconer fight. I also liked the twist at the end with Edwin.

It is definitely a better movie now than when I first saw it.

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 17, 2017, 08:13:22 AM
Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Dec 16, 2017, 04:41:01 PM

I highly highly doubt it.
Predators getting a sequel has about as much chance as Ridley Scott being able to make 2 more Prometheus/Alien movies.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 18, 2017, 01:17:43 AM
I also liked the twist at the end with Edwin.

I'm never sure how I feel about that twist. I like the intent behind it but I was never sure how I felt about how it was executed.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: GreybackElder on Dec 18, 2017, 06:48:26 PM
Predators getting a sequel has about as much chance as Ridley Scott being able to make 2 more Prometheus/Alien movies.

Ridley Scott has a good chance of making one more, and if that one is successful he could make another.

Predators 2 has no chance in hell.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 13, 2017, 07:58:17 AM
Predators is what Blomkamp's Alien 5 would have been like had it got made.  Some interesting new ideas, but mainly a remake.  Would have been largely a mediocre movie.

Link the script!

funk_master_chunk

funk_master_chunk

I liked Predators - but that's about it.

It riffed too heavily on Predator to the point where it was just a re-telling of the original 'in space'.

It's enjoyable for what it is, but overall just a bit 'meh'. Always feels like a real chance missed to expand on the Predator mythos.

What does really annoy me about the whole film is Noland and the ending.

We meet him and the implication is he's been there so long that he's gone mad. Says he's been there for 7/10 'cycles', further implying that that is a long time. States that 'they' always come down in threes to hunt etc. Knows enough to know that there's some sort of 'blood feud' between the bigger ones and the littler ones. He knows enough to kill 2/3 Preds but then acts like a complete idiot and leaves without any camo/heat shielding and gets turned into strawberry jam after about 5 mins.

That's not what annoys me, though. Given he said all this about cycles etc. And the inplication that he's been there 'forever'; but no sooner is Mr Black  toast; more parachutes fall from the sky hinting at a new hunt/cycle.

Now I know suspension of disbelief leads/expects us to believe that in 'Pred HQ' they decided "...err, all our preds are dead - let's start over!" But it ridicules Noland's character/Story and detracts from the nobility of the Preds we see in 2. Collecting their dead, spoils to the victor etc.

It's a likeable, mindless action/slasher. But it's a poor Pred film.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: funk_master_chunk on Dec 19, 2017, 10:57:01 PM
And the inplication that he's been there 'forever'; but no sooner is Mr Black  toast; more parachutes fall from the sky hinting at a new hunt/cycle.

Possibly. Or....it's possible the additional drops were simply a continuation of the current cycle.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 19, 2017, 08:45:31 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 18, 2017, 01:17:43 AM
I also liked the twist at the end with Edwin.

I'm never sure how I feel about that twist. I like the intent behind it but I was never sure how I felt about how it was executed.

Yeah, I sorta know what you mean. There was probably more untapped potential with his character, too. I think adding a psychopathic character like him really benefited the movie overall though - without him it would be just a straight Good Guys vs Predators - but if they had played around more with the idea of a psychopath, it could've created a whole different danger, not just for the people, but for the Predators.

This is assuming, though, that the Predators don't know about their prey before hunting them. I wonder if the Predators themselves that are hunting choose the prey or if it's done by a different set of Predators. Because if it's the latter, then adding a psychopath could really add a proper wild card in the mix.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed