GTFO - 4 Player Horror Co-op

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 08, 2017, 11:16:11 AM

Author
GTFO - 4 Player Horror Co-op (Read 1,999 times)

Wysps

Wysps

This looks like it's going to be riddled with jump scares.  I'll probably try it on PC, but I don't know if it's something I'll can get into.  The four person co-op has me excited to at least try it out though.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Wysps on Jun 21, 2018, 05:22:56 PM
This looks like it's going to be riddled with jump scares.  I'll probably try it on PC, but I don't know if it's something I'll can get into.  The four person co-op has me excited to at least try it out though.

What makes you say that? Jump scares don't usually go together with multiplayer (unless your that awful Fear online game). Is there a campaign mode?

Wysps

Wysps

Anything that involves creatures jumping out of the shadows is a jump scare in my opinion! :laugh:  And no campaign mode that I'm aware of.

PVTDukeMorrison

Im keeping my eye on this one, looks like the old Area 51 game Midway made for the PS2

Corporal Hicks

Shevvie and I played a couple of games of the Alpha last night and I'm not really impressed. Didn't really feel or play as terrifying as it had initially looked. Also overly hard. I did like the whole terminal and searching out the inventory thing, but that was all a bit arduous too. Don't think I'll bother.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

So I got a few games in now that its on early access on steam.
I feel the opposite and am actually pretty impressed with it so far. Now for the most part it was just me and one of my buddies playing, which is not what you should do because this game definitely requires a full squad to finish a level. A lot of our strategy revolved around using the motion tracker to sneak around enemies or to use two turrets and get hordes caught in a cross fire and hope they didn't break through.

More than once were we playing and one of us would say "this is Aliens...we're playing Aliens." Other commonly yelled things into the mics were "WHAT IS THAT??" and "We need to fall back!".

This game feels a lot different than your average co-op shooter. There is a lot more emphasis on stealth and less on going in guns blazing. So you can't go in guns blazing for a few reasons, but the main one is that ammo is scarce. You don't start a round off with full ammo, and during the course of the mission ammo bags are a scarce resource to find. The enemies also take a lot of damage before they go down so head-shots are almost necessary. Ammo conservation isn't normally a mechanic in games I play so this was pretty new but also great.

The feeling of impending doom/dread when you're at a door that will sound an alarm and bring a horde while you only have a magazine and a half of AR ammo and 6 shotgun shells is an intense one.

My only complaint with the gunplay/ammo situation is that the guns feel very weak. I don't mean in their damage output (we'll get to that) but in terms of sound, feel and recoil. The gun sounds could really use a bump. Some of the guns also seem more or less useless based on their ammo capacity, the sniper rifle only has 5 rounds (my buddy said, I didn't try it) and the LMG may be listed as an LMG but its ammo capacity and rate of fire say otherwise.

I personally think that the damage the weapons does is fine, but I do think that you should be able to carry more or you should be able to sacrifice an equipment slot to bring a deployable bag of ammo for your squad like in payday. The trade off being now you can't bring something like a turret or a motion detector. I'd rather this than our health or weapon damage be buffed.

Onto player health though...the other reason you can't just go in guns blazing (regardless of ammo count) is that once you fire a weapon you will alert everything in the vicinity which will then come rushing at you. That may not sound to bad but you die quick and Medkits are as scarce as ammo bags.

I can't really give anymore of a review on it since we only beat the first mission and got stuck on the next two. There're a lot of potential here for something unique and fun especially considering the fact that every week/month the missions will be changed.

Still Collating...

I'm liking the sound of this and the recent gameplay I've seen is awesome.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

sounds like the Alien hype is mainly due to peer to peer banter....can you say that you are uniquely intrigued about the story/ creatures/ or is it a passive interest and you're mainly just explaining how you'd want to feel about it.
Granted some of the inventions like foaming wall barriers and what weve seen in the trailer as a prometheus style scanning device are pretty cool but it is almost not even visually integral to the story telling from what I've seen so far of the game play.

Does anyone else feel the HUD goes way too fast and jerks around too much? Would this be better if the camera was behind the player?

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

It feels very aliens due to the fact we have no idea whats really going on, when things hit the fan its almost always very bad and people die, relying on the player with the motion censor, depending on turrets when things fall a part, "sealing" doors to slow the enemies down. Its little things mostly.

There isn't a whole lot of narrative lore. You're a prisoner and The Warden is making you recover certain things from this facility. The player characters should have been "retired" before the events of the game and at the end of each round you get your mental state and, as we learned in a game last night, likely hood of infection.
Most of what I've learned about the hostiles comes from the environment. The creatures are definitely nothing like the xenomorph so that's not what I meant. Whatever they are they were definitely human at one time, but they feel very much like they could be from "The Thing". It

oh, and shit like this stresses me out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed