Weyland-Yutani movie universe? Or whatever you want to call it.

Started by Baron Von Marlon, Dec 07, 2017, 11:17:58 PM

Would you like a Weyland-Yutani movie universe?

Yes, please!
16 (55.2%)
No.
13 (44.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author
Weyland-Yutani movie universe? Or whatever you want to call it. (Read 5,065 times)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

It could be perfect. They dabble in exploration, science and military. Ideal for horror, thriller or action. Or a mix.
Give them proper titles and appropriate marketing so people better know what to expect.

-Ridley Scott could continue making movies that focus on creation (Engineers) and AI (androids).
-Let Craig Zahler (Bone Tomahawk, Brawl In CB 99) do a brutal thriller under the banner of Alien
-Give Blomkamp a chance to create an action-filled Aliens 2 to satisfy the thirst of action fans.
-Reboot AvP.

The movies don't even have the connect. The only constant should be Weyland-Yutani and an R-Rating.

Thoughts?

SM

SM

Better to make it an Alien movie universe more than Weyland-Yutani.

Highland

Highland

Alien Universe.

Too late now. Blew it.

Baron Von Marlon

With an Alien Universe you know people are gonna complain when a movie doesn't contain (enough) xenomorphs or action.
"This movie's about androids! Why is this part of the Alien Universe?! Etc."

DerelictShip

Well it is part of the Alien universe, it takes place using the same character's, it just doesn't have a xenomorph and explores all the things you listed...which exist in the Alien universe, like Weyland Yutani belongs to the Alien universe.

Think of like Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, they're two separate films that exist in the Lord of the Rings universe.
Or
Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts and that new Voldermort prequel coming out. All of them are separate films but exist somewhere in the Harry Potter universe.

Guess what I'm trying to see is the Alien doesn't belong to the Weyland yutani universe. Weyland yutani belongs to the Alien universe, even if they're separate films.

SM

SM

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 08, 2017, 02:38:15 AM
With an Alien Universe you know people are gonna complain when a movie doesn't contain (enough) xenomorphs or action.

Alien movies need to have some connection to the Alien.

Highland

Highland

No that's the point. If it's inside the Alien Universe it doesn't need to have Aliens in it, but it's an offshoot of the concepts. That way nobody's going to complain that a David movie has no Aliens because your Universe title is enough.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Id prefer a TV show for something like this. Think that BSG prequel Caprica.

It would be not enough action for a movie series, yet the whole setting would be too far out to become too serious/realistic (hope that makes sense lol).

DerelictShip

I would still be interested in seeing a tv series that serves as a prequel to Aliens. It could show how the colonists try to hold off the Aliens as they begin to overrun the colony. It could be super suspenseful too, colonists going missing one at a time, until just the kids are left running around in the vents, then eventually, all but Newt is left.

Other films within the universe would be a neat expansion as well, but if Alien is in the title, there damn well better be an Alien in the movie.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 08, 2017, 04:20:32 AM
I would still be interested in seeing a tv series that serves as a prequel to Aliens. It could show how the colonists try to hold off the Aliens as they begin to overrun the colony. It could be super suspenseful too, colonists going missing one at a time, until just the kids are left running around in the vents, then eventually, all but Newt is left.

That would be a great idea for a mini-series, and I'd love to see something like that.  I don't know how long you could draw it out, though.

PierreVW

PierreVW

I voted No.

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

QuoteI don't know how long you could draw it out, though.

I think you could easily get about 12 to 16 episodes depending on how much detail they want to put into it. Definitely only for one season though.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 08, 2017, 02:50:37 AM
Well it is part of the Alien universe, it takes place using the same character's, it just doesn't have a xenomorph and explores all the things you listed...which exist in the Alien universe, like Weyland Yutani belongs to the Alien universe.

Think of like Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, they're two separate films that exist in the Lord of the Rings universe.
Or
Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts and that new Voldermort prequel coming out. All of them are separate films but exist somewhere in the Harry Potter universe.

Guess what I'm trying to see is the Alien doesn't belong to the Weyland yutani universe. Weyland yutani belongs to the Alien universe, even if they're separate films.

Quote from: Highland on Dec 08, 2017, 03:43:47 AM

No that's the point. If it's inside the Alien Universe it doesn't need to have Aliens in it, but it's an offshoot of the concepts. That way nobody's going to complain that a David movie has no Aliens because your Universe title is enough.

I picked Weyland-Yutani because it sounds more general to me.
We understand it's a spin-off but, in the words of the great George Carlin "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
Mention Alien Universe and you can bet most people are gonna expect a bunch of movies featuring xenomorphs.

SM

SM

That's not stupidity - that's meeting an expectation.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on Dec 08, 2017, 05:28:23 AM
That's not stupidity - that's meeting an expectation.

Sorry, I meant even in the case they do a crystal clear press release and the right marketing and such.
It's why I'm more in favor of Weyland-Yutani as a name. Even though Alien Universe is more appropriate.
It just seems more simple to me to market and to explain to the general audience.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed