Weyland-Yutani movie universe? Or whatever you want to call it.

Started by Baron Von Marlon, Dec 07, 2017, 11:17:58 PM

Would you like a Weyland-Yutani movie universe?

Yes, please!
16 (55.2%)
No.
13 (44.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author
Weyland-Yutani movie universe? Or whatever you want to call it. (Read 5,126 times)

SM

SM

Alien is iconic.

Only fans know what Weyland-Yutani is.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SM on Dec 08, 2017, 09:13:33 AM
Alien is iconic.

This.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Weylan Yutani

Kane's other son

There's hardly enough demand for further Alien movies, let alone a cinematic universe.
Not to mention that shared universes are so 2016. All attempts outside Marvel have crashed and burned.

david8

david8

how about a netflix series? something separate to the covenant storyline but still taking place in the same universe with the same beast but new ideas

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on Dec 08, 2017, 09:13:33 AM
Alien is iconic.

With a proper press release the general audience would know too.
Seems easier than explaining an Alien Universe that will contain movies without aliens.

Quote from: Kane's other son on Dec 08, 2017, 01:55:05 PM
There's hardly enough demand for further Alien movies, let alone a cinematic universe.
Not to mention that shared universes are so 2016. All attempts outside Marvel have crashed and burned.

I think others failed because of bad planning. Marvel are the only ones who worked out a somewhat decent plan.

bb-15

bb-15

Whatever you want to call it; Weyland-Yutani movie universe or expanded Alien film universe; this expansion has already been accomplished by the two prequels.
There is an expansion on; the Space Jockey (Engineers), the Engineer main weapon (the black goo), creatures which are created using the black goo (Hammerpede, Deacon, Trilobite, Neomorph as well as an origin of the Xenomorph), the discovery of the Engineer home planet, an explanation of why LV-426 was off limits (since it was next to LV-223 where bad things happened), a colony planet Origae-6 and so on.
- Compare all of that expansion to the first 4 Alien movies.
In terms of location; 2 on LV-426, on earth space station (A2 / A4) and Fiorina "Fury" 161 (A3).
The kinds of monsters; xenomorphs/eggs/facehuggers and a queen.

;)   

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Marvel's plan was relatively straight forward. Start with small-fry and work your way up. Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, then Avengers. So on, and so forth. It's not just the plan though, it was the fairly consistent execution across the films. They all harmonise really well. That's not something any of the Alien films have ever done. They are very tonally different. Alien is a haunted house in space, Aliens is a war movie, Alien 3 is a gothic horror. They have some thematic ties, but they're very distinct films in a number of key ways.

I don't really see a huge demand forming for something like that. I mean, for a fan, it's always a little fun to think of movies like Outland or Blade Runner existing in the same universe as Alien. Which is basically what we're talking about here, only the reverse. Making movies that are designed to inhabit the Alien universe without the Alien.

To me, Weyland Yutani, at leas the cliche version that has been propagated in the films and EU, has always been the least interesting thing in the franchise. I always preferred the interpretation of a corporation that wasn't malicious trying to do things, and instead was so automated, cold, and disconnected from it's people that things like what happened in the first film could happen, because it was all automatic. Things are just done by a large computer "network."

But we'd never get that. We'd get the dark room with a bunch of suits smoking cigars plotting on how they would proceed with their next big step in "TeH eVuL conspiracy to haz da Aliem!"

Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 08, 2017, 07:03:33 PM
Whatever you want to call it; Weyland-Yutani movie universe or expanded Alien film universe; this expansion has already been accomplished by the two prequels.
There is an expansion on; the Space Jockey (Engineers), the Engineer main weapon (the black goo), creatures which are created using the black goo (Hammerpede, Deacon, Trilobite, Neomorph as well as an origin of the Xenomorph), the discovery of the Engineer home planet, an explanation of why LV-426 was off limits (since it was next to LV-223 where bad things happened), a colony planet Origae-6 and so on.
- Compare all of that expansion to the first 4 Alien movies.
In terms of location; 2 on LV-426, on earth space station (A2 / A4) and Fiorina "Fury" 161 (A3).
The kinds of monsters; xenomorphs/eggs/facehuggers and a queen.

;)   

You're talking about "stuff." Which is not the same thing as actual narrative expansion. The prequels aren't really expansions on the universe. They shrink the Alien universe by a great deal. Just about every major mystery has been tied and connected to humanity in some way.

DerelictShip

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 08, 2017, 07:06:19 PM
Things are just done by a large computer network.

Could you explain that more, not sure if I follow.

Baron Von Marlon

Marvel's plan was relatively straight forward. Start with small-fry and work your way up. Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, then Avengers. So on, and so forth. It's not just the plan though, it was the fairly consistent execution across the films. They all harmonise really well. That's not something any of the Alien films have ever done. They are very tonally different. Alien is a haunted house in space, Aliens is a war movie, Alien 3 is a gothic horror. They have some thematic ties, but they're very distinct films in a number of key ways.

I don't really see a huge demand forming for something like that. I mean, for a fan, it's always a little fun to think of movies like Outland or Blade Runner existing in the same universe as Alien. Which is basically what we're talking about here, only the reverse. Making movies that are designed to inhabit the Alien universe without the Alien.

To me, Weyland Yutani, at leas the cliche version that has been propagated in the films and EU, has always been the least interesting thing in the franchise. I always preferred the interpretation of a corporation that wasn't malicious trying to do things, and instead was so automated, cold, and disconnected from it's people that things like what happened in the first film could happen, because it was all automatic. Things are just done by a large computer "network."

But we'd never get that. We'd get the dark room with a bunch of suits smoking cigars plotting on how they would proceed with their next big step in "TeH eVuL conspiracy to haz da Aliem!"

Marvel didn't start out with an expanded universe. Blade and the earlier Spider-Man movies come to mind. Those didn't harmonise.
It's only after some time they started up their cinematic universe.

For a possible WY or Alien universe, I don't see why they have to connect. Sure, it could happen on occasion when it's planned out well.
But I'm just thinking of seperate movies in the same universe. Probably all with the same special effects people or something so they feel a bit similar.

Another reason I chose a WYU over an AU, the interpretation of WY aside, is because it's the common element in all the movies. Just seems logical to me. And easy to incorporate in any movie. Putting a logo here and there is more practical than always having to refer to the alien or some thing connected to another movie. Add the occasional easter egg in the background.

I'm well aware chances of this happening are slim to none. It's all just making conversation.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 08, 2017, 07:23:54 PM
Things are just done by a large computer network.

Could you explain that more, not sure if I follow.

It's something of a reference to a conversation that was had on here some time ago regarding things like Special Order 937. I came to my own personal conclusion/interpretation of the original Alien. Insofar as "The Company" was concerned, there was no ONE on the other end of Special Order 937, the transfer of Ash, etc... Nobody sitting at home on Earth waiting for an outcome. It was more just a symptom of the companies paranoia to control everything that was too far out of reach to control. So they had clauses, contingencies, special orders, for just about everything, and in those situations where SO's were activated, they had enforcers in the form of androids and computer systems to protect their interests.

SM

QuoteMarvel didn't start out with an expanded universe. Blade and the earlier Spider-Man movies come to mind. Those didn't harmonise.
It's only after some time they started up their cinematic universe.

It hinged on the success of Iron Man, because Fox owned the more popular X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Baron Von Marlon

The series idea ain't bad either.
Could be stand-alone stories or serve as prequels to movies.
The only downside I can think of is the budget. I'm guessing it might be too expensive to do it properly.

We get how many Marvel movies each year? Two Star Wars flicks each year.
So I want one Alien or Alien related move a year, goddamnit! You read me Hollywood? You read meeeeee?!?!?!

Deathbearer

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 09, 2017, 04:55:52 AM
The series idea ain't bad either.
Could be stand-alone stories or serve as prequels to movies.
The only downside I can think of is the budget. I'm guessing it might be too expensive to do it properly.

We get how many Marvel movies each year? Two Star Wars flicks each year.
So I want one Alien or Alien related move a year, goddamnit! You read me Hollywood? You read meeeeee?!?!?!

Haven't you heard? The beast is cooked. Now shut up and get ready for David 3

Scorpio

David 3 sounds infinitely better than Disney-fied Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed