Am I alone ?

Started by Predator@Alien, Dec 06, 2017, 05:46:42 PM

Author
Am I alone ? (Read 14,237 times)

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Highland on Dec 07, 2017, 06:43:39 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Dec 06, 2017, 07:31:19 PM
No.  You are not alone.  I think it's a great movie.  Most of my thoughts are expressed in my review of the movie.

A lot of people like this movie - and 'PROMETHEUS', too, for that matter.  It's just a tragedy that so many of them have been driven out of these forums by the attitudes of certain people here.   There's very little encouragement for fans of Scott's New Canon here.  Not your fault.  Not the fault of the movie. 

'ALIEN Covenant' is a Great movie.

Many people love it.   Don't let the naysayers, haters and denialists present on this forum have you believe otherwise. 

-Windebieste.

Nobody gets put out dude. Most of the criticism at this point is well constructed. Nick pushed self destruct.

I'm yet to find this army of Queen loving Marine fans too, cause I wanna join that gang if possible.
Do you exclude all the nonsensical ramblings about Ridley Scott being George Lucas in your "most of the criticism" set  :laugh: ?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Ridley Scott is unfortunately exhibiting a lot of those signs though.

http://youtu.be/adjfTktpIzg?t=13m24s

Just hearing that interview segment read aloud just cements that fact.

"Oh, it was always my thesis theory. It was one or two people who were relevant were... I can't remember if (screenwriter) Hampton (Fancher) agreed with me or not. But I remember someone had said, 'Well, isn't it corny?' I said, 'Listen, I'll be the best f**king judge of that. I'm the director, okay?' So, and that, you learn — you know, by then I'm 44, so I'm no f**king chicken. I'm a very experienced director from commercials and The Duellists and Alien. So, I'm able to, you know, answer that with confidence at the time, and say, 'You know, back off, it's what it's gonna be.' Harrison (Ford), he was never — I don't remember, actually. I think Harrison was going, 'Uh, I don't know about that.' I said, 'But you have to be, because Gaff, who leaves a trail of origami everywhere, will leave you a little piece of origami at the end of the movie to say, 'I've been here, I left her alive, and I can't resist letting you know what's in your most private thoughts when you get drunk is a f**king unicorn!' ' Right? So, I love Beavis and Butthead, so what should follow that is 'Duh.' So now it will be revealed (in the sequel), one way or the other."

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 07, 2017, 08:14:38 PM
Ridley Scott is unfortunately exhibiting a lot of those signs though.

https://youtu.be/adjfTktpIzg?t=13m24s

Just hearing that interview segment read aloud just cements that fact.

"Oh, it was always my thesis theory. It was one or two people who were relevant were... I can't remember if (screenwriter) Hampton (Fancher) agreed with me or not. But I remember someone had said, 'Well, isn't it corny?' I said, 'Listen, I'll be the best f**king judge of that. I'm the director, okay?' So, and that, you learn — you know, by then I'm 44, so I'm no f**king chicken. I'm a very experienced director from commercials and The Duellists and Alien. So, I'm able to, you know, answer that with confidence at the time, and say, 'You know, back off, it's what it's gonna be.' Harrison (Ford), he was never — I don't remember, actually. I think Harrison was going, 'Uh, I don't know about that.' I said, 'But you have to be, because Gaff, who leaves a trail of origami everywhere, will leave you a little piece of origami at the end of the movie to say, 'I've been here, I left her alive, and I can't resist letting you know what's in your most private thoughts when you get drunk is a f**king unicorn!' ' Right? So, I love Beavis and Butthead, so what should follow that is 'Duh.' So now it will be revealed (in the sequel), one way or the other."
So now that Hicks has officially said "Ridley is senile" comments are not welcome, you just link to videos where people say he's senile  rather than saying it out loud yourself. Clever.

David Weyland

David Weyland

I love the prequels & totally love & back Ridley Scott for what he's trying to do expanding the universe, i overall like the direction of the story despite some of the negativity the films have received but the theatrical cuts are only good, keeping them from great films.
This fancut of The first film ' Prometheus Workprint' makes the film properly epic & elevates it massively Alien 3 Assembly Cut style: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIewBtyckjtVW5aWEtzOU9walE/view
I beg someone with the skills to put together an epic extended cut of Covenant by Not playing Director taking out of the original film but adding intelligently all or most footage of the featurettes(Last supper,Crossing,Advent,Phobos(Like the last one included but Probably best in snippets or left out) & where sensible without messing up the continuity most of the deleted scenes, ultimately plenty of extra film there to Bump it up to 2.5 hours. Anyway this Avp page should help someone capable unlike me: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/alien-covenant/deleted-scenes/?page2
Please! 🙂

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 07, 2017, 08:36:07 PM
So now that Hicks has officially said "Ridley is senile" comments are not welcome, you just link to videos where people say he's senile  rather than saying it out loud yourself. Clever.

Senile? No. I don't believe that it is necessary to start making jokes about a persons mental standing. Out of touch? Possibly. Creatively burned out? I think so, definitely. He can certainly be forgiven his pride, but he has a problem with being stubborn, and frankly his words in that interview, and others, smack of arrogance. Not confidence, arrogance.

RLM's read of that interview just drives home the point. Ridley just seems to be at the point where he will do whatever he wants, even if it doesn't really make any sense.

If Hicks has any issue with my posts, i'm sure he'll let me know.  :)

Highland

Highland

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 07, 2017, 07:04:50 PM
Quote from: Highland on Dec 07, 2017, 06:43:39 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Dec 06, 2017, 07:31:19 PM
No.  You are not alone.  I think it's a great movie.  Most of my thoughts are expressed in my review of the movie.

A lot of people like this movie - and 'PROMETHEUS', too, for that matter.  It's just a tragedy that so many of them have been driven out of these forums by the attitudes of certain people here.   There's very little encouragement for fans of Scott's New Canon here.  Not your fault.  Not the fault of the movie. 

'ALIEN Covenant' is a Great movie.

Many people love it.   Don't let the naysayers, haters and denialists present on this forum have you believe otherwise. 

-Windebieste.

Nobody gets put out dude. Most of the criticism at this point is well constructed. Nick pushed self destruct.

I'm yet to find this army of Queen loving Marine fans too, cause I wanna join that gang if possible.
Do you exclude all the nonsensical ramblings about Ridley Scott being George Lucas in your "most of the criticism" set  :laugh: ?

I mean amongst the core memembers everybody's pretty sweet. You're always going to get people that go over the top. For a lot of people it's probably a real thing that Ridley is screwing things up because he's the top dog.

It's not like you can just turn around and blank it because it's Paul Anderson.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Predator@Alien on Dec 06, 2017, 05:46:42 PM
Hi everybody !

Fist of all, please, excuse the bad english from a frech guy...

Am I the only one who knows the truth about Alien Covenant and Prometheus? Among other things, that these films are really good, if they take a different direction than that taken by the first four films, well it's just the vision of the director, and somewhere of the creator of the saga. I do not understand, what is the problem if David is at the center of the story and not the Xenomorph? It's interesting to have another vision, another point of view, so we do not always see the same thing.

In concrete terms, I am looking for people who:
- Consider Prometheus and Alien Covenant as good films.
- Understand the meaning of movies, innuendo and hidden references.
- Have realized that the humans of these movies are idiots and that it is wanted.
- Have understood that David created the Xenomorph.
Explanations:
Yes, humans are stupid in these movies. So what ? If you understand these films, then you know that all this is wanted, humans are now considered as people without intelligence, and that their destiny is to lose, all the time. Moreover, it is confirmed when we look at the first film, everything becomes very clear. Indeed, when we look at the film from a philosophical point of view, we know from the first film that humans are the creators of their own burden (Xenomorph).
And again yes, David created the Xenomorphs. Why always want to find explanations that prove the opposite? The novel is a novel. Since when is a novel more canon than a film? David created the Xenomorph and that's all. How to explain Prometheus then? Well, it's very simple: If you have seen Prometheus, you know that there is no Xenomorph, no more on the fresco than those taken from the chests of Engineers. Just be attentive in the film, and understand it well. Or is it a misunderstanding? The truth is this: The Engineers created the Deacon and David created the Xenomorph. David was inspired by the creation of Engineers (Deacon) to perfect and improve it. And no, the Deacons are not just from the random experience of Prometheus. Again, you have to understand the movie.

For more information if you do not understand me, ask me, I can explain everything  ;)

So please, tell me that I'm not alone, because with all that I read on the forums and the media, I really feel like the only one who really understood these films . I think those who do not like have not understood the meaning of the movies. So if you're like me, tell me, I'm lonely right now ... :'( :laugh:

PS: I do not want to offend anyone, I just tell the truth. Many things have been misunderstood in these films, and even after the debates, people still have not understood ... So I just want to restore the truth by explaining to you, I do not want to be nasty  ;)

You are NOT alone.

I love these new films.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I understand Covenant. It's still bad.

Gash

Gash

I think the prequels are great. It was a left field approach, but that's why I like them. They're also chocked full of interesting references and parallels that make for good digestible brain fodder. Covenant in particular joins lots of the dots that manages to improve Prometheus without simplifying the themes it brought up. It also satisfies on the ALIEN front, being the best and most evenly matched film to the original, whilst being totally different.

monkeylove

monkeylove

The writing's poor, as shown in several reviews of the films, and that may have been one of the reasons for ave. ratings and revenues. The good news is that that's the cheapest problem to solve. The bad news is that it's the most challenging.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: monkeylove on Dec 07, 2017, 08:11:28 AM
I think the major complaints involve not the ideas raised by the movies but the manner by which they were presented.

Dunno about that. A lot of peoples core disdain for this movie seems to come from David creating the Alien, or the focus that the film puts on David. People that are fine with it seem to be more forgiving of the movie's flaws though.

Prof. a

Prof. a

I enjoyed the film. I'm personally surprised at the negative and angry reaction directed toward David's involvement in the creation of the xenomorph.
In my own opinion, this explanation is far and away more interesting than the xenomorph as a biological weapon of the Engineers.

I actually think that viewing the alien as a tool for another species is quite demeaning to a creature described as the "perfect organism".  The fact that the xenomorph is the product of Engineer technology and AI ingenuity is far more interesting and satisfying as it explains the physical power of the organism and also adds to the fascination of Ash and other AIs in the series. AI, like the xenomorph itself, also lacks morality - another connection that makes sense.

I think many fans become convinced of long-held theories, when that doesn't turn out to be the case... they get disappointed. But, if you think of it, the xenomorph as some sort of subservient slave species to a Space Jockey/Engineer is very demeaning. It either turns the alien into a tool or makes them weak.

David Weyland

David Weyland

Quote from: Prof. a on Dec 15, 2017, 05:29:47 PM
I enjoyed the film. I'm personally surprised at the negative and angry reaction directed toward David's involvement in the creation of the xenomorph.
In my own opinion, this explanation is far and away more interesting than the xenomorph as a biological weapon of the Engineers.

I actually think that viewing the alien as a tool for another species is quite demeaning to a creature described as the "perfect organism".  The fact that the xenomorph is the product of Engineer technology and AI ingenuity is far more interesting and satisfying as it explains the physical power of the organism and also adds to the fascination of Ash and other AIs in the series. AI, like the xenomorph itself, also lacks morality - another connection that makes sense.

I think many fans become convinced of long-held theories, when that doesn't turn out to be the case... they get disappointed. But, if you think of it, the xenomorph as some sort of subservient slave species to a Space Jockey/Engineer is very demeaning. It either turns the alien into a tool or makes them weak.

Agree 100% I remember in advance of Covenant thinking how interesting it would be for the xenomorph to be put together by AI. So many more possibilities

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Prof. a on Dec 15, 2017, 05:29:47 PM

But even that was vastly preferable to the hive colony. IMHO.

windebieste

windebieste

It also gives them motive.  Plus Conflict is a backbone of any story.  I'm happy to see the Aliens possess an innate pre-programmed reason to attack humans built into them.  The whole notion of a mysterious biomechanical dream world origin is as ropy as f**k.  How do you even justify that - it still has to be made by someone because there's no way it could occur naturally.  Scott has just trimmed off the unnecessary fat - there's no need for it.

Now we know how Aliens were made - and they're made to be a weapon.  It's not a new concept either.  It's also a very personal motivation on David's part to have them be manufactured killers.  So they have a history now.  Plenty of it, too.  We know the Engineers created them, thousands of years ago using the accelerant as a catalyst.  David modified and is the process of perfecting them - he's not quite there at the time of 'ALIEN Covenant, but he's getting there'.  Next we'll see how he applies his newly created 'perfect organism' against humanity with 2000 (and embryos) colonists for hosts.  That's enticing stuff right there!

Motivation and Conflict.  Both are at the core of what Scott is bringing to the screen and it's all there, laid out in front of us.  A 'gigeresque' planet?  How does such a planet exist, anyway...? 

Boil it down and you get the same result - someone made it.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed