AvP Requiem less worrisome than this

Started by happypred, Dec 06, 2017, 07:08:11 AM

Author
AvP Requiem less worrisome than this (Read 14,720 times)

whiterabbit

I wasn't around for the AVP-r AVPGalaxy hype train but it had to have been huge compared to what The Predator is garnering today. Also I remember back to 8th grade when Predator 2 came out and how everyone was disappointed that there was no Schwarzenegger. I fear The Predator will suffer the same fate.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 05, 2018, 10:29:11 AM
Also I remember back to 8th grade when Predator 2 came out and how everyone was disappointed that there was no Schwarzenegger. I fear The Predator will suffer the same fate.
It won't, when you were in 8th grade Schwarzenegger was still huge, he isn't today. Besides the very hardcore Schwarzenegger fanbase, no one is really disappointed that he's not in the movie. Schwarzenegger hasn't been the face of these movies for 30 years now and all his recent movies bombed, like every single one. Heartbreaking for me, but that's the way it is.

It would have been nice if Schwarzenegger agreed to this movie, but it really isn't a deal breaker for todays audiences, unlike back in '90.

whiterabbit

Yes and I was talking in terms of 1990. The biggest thing I remember about the movie when released was that there was no Arnold in it and that Danny Glover was not Arnold. A big silly double negative. It made the movie boring and forgettable. The Predator was just the bad guy back then. It wasn't till much later that I watched Predator 2 again and thought to myself, hey this movie's not bad.

Still the problem is the same for both, if Schwarzenegger movies bomb, so too will The Predator. I mean Predators wasn't a bad film, it was actually a very good movie but it didn't float the ship long enough and there is zero hype being created for this new movie. I mean I understand that it's 8 months out but seriously they need to sound the bells now and start marketing. It's as if they think slapping "Predator" on the films title is enough to sell tickets. As you know slapping Schwarzenegger onto a movie doesn't work either.

I like a lot of the actors cast but in all honestly this is looking like Predators all over again but only worse box office wise. The Predator isn't the star he was 20 years ago.

Johnny Handsome

QuoteStill the problem is the same for both, if Schwarzenegger movies bomb, so too will The Predator.
That doesn't make any sense. Every single Predator movie made money, Predators did three times it's budget theatrically plus another 25 million in DVD sales alone, with a 35 - 40 mil budget. So did the AvP's, no Schwarzenegger needed.

QuoteI mean I understand that it's 8 months out but seriously they need to sound the bells now and start marketing. It's as if they think slapping "Predator" on the films title is enough to sell tickets. As you know slapping Schwarzenegger onto a movie doesn't work either.
That's simply not how marketing works, i do marketing for a living. The "Where is the trailer this will bomb!" attitude is just fanboys who are impatient for some footage. Seriously some people asked for a trailer two weeks after filming ended, you know what people have done two weeks after a movie ended photography? Looking at boring, raw footage for 10 hours at the studio drinking coffee.

First of all, it's still too early, almost no studio released a trailer for any august 18 release so far, they always do it 5 - 6 months in advance, so the Predator not having a trailer is a totally natural thing. If you market a movie too early, people will lose interest, there is a reason why only 5% of the movies will get marketed a year in advance.

Second, The Predator isn't the only FOX movie this year. Other movies have to be maketed first now, they want to make money with all of their films, not just with one. You can't flute the market with trailers, you need to make poeple aware of the right movies at the right time coming out.

Also, people do look forward to this movie, go to social media, it's on almost every top ten most anticipated list for 2018, without any footage. There will be trailers, tv spots, featurettes, the whole thing, just not now.

Also, they are already testing the market for months now, there is the Predator fan app, then there was a teaser poster, now we have the Predator appearance on ghost recon, that's no coincidence either. Video Games are huge, even people not aware of the Predator will now get interested in the creature.

Marketing is not always a trailer.

QuoteThe Predator isn't the star he was 20 years ago.
The Predator is actually way more popular today than he was 20 years ago. With the internet-community came a stronger fanbase and awareness of the franchise and creature. Why do you think FOX upped the budget and got a serious writer/director? 'Cause they see the potential now way more than they did 10 years ago when they did Predators.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jan 05, 2018, 01:08:12 PM
QuoteStill the problem is the same for both, if Schwarzenegger movies bomb, so too will The Predator.
That doesn't make any sense. Every single Predator movie made money, Predators did three times it's budget theatrically plus another 25 million in DVD sales alone, with a 35 - 40 mil budget. So did the AvP's, no Schwarzenegger needed.

QuoteI mean I understand that it's 8 months out but seriously they need to sound the bells now and start marketing. It's as if they think slapping "Predator" on the films title is enough to sell tickets. As you know slapping Schwarzenegger onto a movie doesn't work either.
That's simply not how marketing works, i do marketing for a living. The "Where is the trailer this will bomb!" attitude is just fanboys who are impatient for some footage. Seriously some people asked for a trailer two weeks after filming ended, you know what people have done two weeks after a movie ended photography? Looking at boring, raw footage for 10 hours at the studio drinking coffee.

First of all, it's still too early, almost no studio released a trailer for any august 18 release so far, they always do it 5 - 6 months in advance, so the Predator not having a trailer is a totally natural thing. If you market a movie too early, people will lose interest, there is a reason why only 5% of the movies will get marketed a year in advance.

Second, The Predator isn't the only FOX movie this year. Other movies have to be maketed first now, they want to make money with all of their films, not just with one. You can't flute the market with trailers, you need to make poeple aware of the right movies at the right time coming out.

Also, people do look forward to this movie, go to social media, it's on almost every top ten most anticipated list for 2018, without any footage. There will be trailers, tv spots, featurettes, the whole thing, just not now.

Also, they are already testing the market for months now, there is the Predator fan app, then there was a teaser poster, now we have the Predator appearance on ghost recon, that's no coincidence either. Video Games are huge, even people not aware of the Predator will now get interested in the creature.

Marketing is not always a trailer.

QuoteThe Predator isn't the star he was 20 years ago.
The Predator is actually way more popular today than he was 20 years ago. With the internet-community came a stronger fanbase and awareness of the franchise and creature. Why do you think FOX upped the budget and got a serious writer/director? 'Cause they see the potential now way more than they did 10 years ago when they did Predators.

Wow... That was perfect ! I couldn't have said it better  :laugh:

Xxx.95xx

So people legit didn't like p2 cause no Arnold.....

He's not even a good actor, just a buff 'cool' guy in every film with an enormous ego

I will never fully understand the Arnold pandemonium of the 80s 90s

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Xxx.95xx on Jan 07, 2018, 02:58:12 PM

He's not even a good actor, just a buff 'cool' guy in every film with an enormous ego

I kinda agree, even though he has some acting abilities, his best ACTING role is in Predator or Last Action Hero in my opinion. But talking about P2, i think Danny Glover is a better actor.

AliceApocalypse

Danny Glover was a great fit for P2, better than Arnold would have been for the movie setting.  Buff worked in the jungle, but street smarts was a better fit taking the hunt to the city.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

That was how the 80s/90s were, at least from my little spot in the middle of the fricken ocean... no internet back then. I remember one kid who wore hammer pants that loved the titties and kills in the movie though. I didn't care that Arnold wasn't in it but the city/cop setting was what turned me off. I just didn't care for it at the time. I didn't like any of the character's actually. It had a robocop'ish feel to it.

However even here on this website there doesn't seem to be all that much zeal... although I'm kind of getting excited to see the trailer myself. Still to be a success I think a great effort will need to be made to generate interest. I really thought Predators would have done better than it did when it came out.

happypred

I wasn't around for the AVP-r AVPGalaxy hype train but it had to have been huge compared to what The Predator is garnering today.

The AvP-R hype was real son...people were so excited

Le Celticant

Quote from: happypred on Jan 19, 2018, 09:35:25 AM
I wasn't around for the AVP-r AVPGalaxy hype train but it had to have been huge compared to what The Predator is garnering today.

The AvP-R hype was real son...people were so excited

Well the directors registered on the forum...
big mistake :D

Jigsaw85

I joined AVPGalaxy just so I could tell them how much I disliked their film. :P

The Snipes

The Snipes

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jan 21, 2018, 09:36:52 PM
I joined AVPGalaxy just so I could tell them how much I disliked their film. :P
A year after they left?

Wait never mind, I thought they were here in 2007. There's an archive of them posting here eh? Fascinating. I remember the hype, The Predator has no hype and it will likely become a lack luster film. Unless it pulls an Alien Isolation on us some how.

Whos_Nick

The AvP Requiem hype is still real

Scorpio

Quote from: Xxx.95xx on Jan 07, 2018, 02:58:12 PM

It wasn't Arnold alone, it was the movies he was in.  Conan, Terminator, Predator, etc.  He had a great run.  Now, not so much.  But in the 80s/90s, he was working with some of the best filmmakers of the day, working with big budgets.  There are few actors who have a had such a great career as Arnold.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed