Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 244,355 times)

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2018, 11:30:35 PM
QuoteThe Assembly Cut is a masterpiece in my opinion, and I honestly wonder if it would've been better received had the second film not been what it was.

It would be a slow and often redundant blur of faceless criminals swearing at each other no matter what happened in Aliens.

Oh, Pish Tosh. It's fantastic and you know it. It's probably your favorite one.  :D Go ahead, admit it, admit you love it. Say it before God and all the bones of the saints!  ;D

SM

SM

I pray only to the Church of St Ripley the Redeemer.

Those who would make false idols of the Alien 3 Special Edition naming it 'masterpiece' shall be cast down into the pit of lead eternal, unforgiven despite the fact they know not what they do.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Aug 13, 2018, 01:20:29 AM
I pray only to the Church of St Ripley the Redeemer.

Those who would make false idols of the Alien 3 Special Edition naming it 'masterpiece' shall be cast down into the pit of lead eternal, unforgiven despite the fact they know not what they do.

Blasphemy! A thousand....oh dear God, it's turning into the Vincent Ward script. I think I just saw the corn move. Verm?! Is that you!?

We might want to make a run for it. All are welcome to join. Oh, and the septic system is down for maintenance right now, just so you know. It's a real mess in there.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 12, 2018, 05:32:18 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Aug 12, 2018, 03:34:38 PM
Narratively, thematically I think A3 and Covenant are the most powerful.

Alien 3 is by far the most powerful. There's just no avoiding the narrative teeth of that film. It's dark, violent, and for more unforgiving than the first two films. Which is exactly what I wanted from it. The Assembly Cut is a masterpiece in my opinion, and I honestly wonder if it would've been better received had the second film not been what it was. All marines and dropships and action.

Something like an Alien loose on Gateway Station once Ripley is rescued. Kind of like Isolation. You could've had several Aliens near the end, and plenty of facehuggers running around. She escapes only to crash land on Fiorina in the third movie, with an e.e.v. full of facehuggers, thus solving the multiple hugger problem.

In various ways this would've left room for a movie set on earth to be made later. Maybe a transmission from the CM near the end saying they're coming up, or "we're standing by to receive survivors". But those survivors are Aliens or infected humans.

Aliens wasn't all action. IIRC the first bullets are fired so far into the movie(Drake briefly firing, when they find Newt, right?) and there isn't anything again until the first firefight. Even then there isn't just the mindless droning of guns.

Alien 3 lacking gun action has never been a problem.

The Old One

The Old One

It's okay Huggs, you're both wrong- A3 isn't a masterpiece, but nor is it bad or boring. At worst it's not even mediocre.
Especially the Assembly Cut, but there's a better film in there as an intermediate of the two.
One that does include the alternate opening, Golic's demise, raising servants to redemption and Juniors death.
In spite of what some will tell you.

Local Trouble

Maybe it just needed some Dutch angles.

The Old One

The Old One

Ahahahaha.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 13, 2018, 03:22:56 AM
It's okay Huggs, you're both wrong- A3 isn't a masterpiece, but nor is it bad or boring. At worst it's not even mediocre.
Especially the Assembly Cut, but there's a better film in there as an intermediate of the two.
One that does include the alternate opening, Golic's demise, raising servants to redemption and Juniors death.
Give me the Assembly Cut's added scenes but keep the theatrical cut's opening, ending, and dog-burster, and I think we'd have my ideal Alien3 edit.

That said, the AC is still leagues better than the TC.

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 13, 2018, 03:27:43 AM
Maybe it just needed some Dutch angles.

I'd like to know how Arnold getting a side-story would've been an improvement?  ;)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 13, 2018, 03:59:48 AM
Give me the Assembly Cut's added scenes but keep the theatrical cut's opening, ending, and dog-burster, and I think we'd have my ideal Alien3.

I can understand the reasoning behind prefering the canine chestburster and Queen chestburster although I disagree. However-
It's lost on me why anyone wouldn't prefer the alternative opening to A3, it's Jordan Cronenweth's best work on the film, gorgeous and the ADR is undoubtedly better from the higher angle of seeing the crashed EEV and hearing Frank's commentary.
The shots of the inside of it are also more tasteful. Whether Rebecca Jordan suffered or not is better left to the imagination.

0321recon

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 13, 2018, 04:34:35 AM
Give me the Assembly Cut's added scenes but keep the theatrical cut's opening, ending, and dog-burster, and I think we'd have my ideal Alien3.

I can understand the reasoning behind prefering the canine chestburster and Queen chestburster although I disagree. However-
It's lost on me why anyone wouldn't prefer the alternative opening to A3, it's Jordan Cronenweth's best work on the film, gorgeous and the ADR is undoubtedly better from the higher angle of seeing the crashed EEV and hearing Frank's commentary.
The shots of the inside of it are also more tasteful. Whether Rebecca Jordan suffered or not is better left to the imagination.

I agree.

The opening for the assembly cut sets the tone of Alien3 as a grand operatic drama. Cronenweth's cinematography accompanied by Goldenthal score is masterful, and help cement that point. This sequence alone showed Fincher's great vision that later we'd see in his later films.

I also agree of not seeing Newt inside the cryotube. Keep it to our imagination.

the cremation sequence with either animal works since what matters is what's occurring to Ripley which is heartbreaking to watch. The editing, cinematography, dialogue, and score worked beautifully. I still get chills thinking about it.

OpenMaw

Mel Brooks did it best. Clearly.

Oh nnnooo... Not again.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Who's the black guy supposed to be? I mean they couldn't find a stand in for Dallas and why wasn't there a blond chick. I have so many questions.

Denton Smalls

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 12, 2018, 03:34:38 PM
Sorry, I should say that the majority that have watched Alien since 1979 is far greater than those that saw it in 1979; as that's what I meant.

Narratively, thematically I think A3 and Covenant are the most powerful.
As for pure horror, I think Aliens' chestburster tops Alien, the ripping and tearing is far more visceral to me, the sounds of the bones snapping as well as the psychology of its' effect on our protagonist.

Aliens' chestburster scared me the most since that was the first I saw. Wasn't allowed to see Alien until years after.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 13, 2018, 04:34:35 AM

I guess I just prefer the visuals of the prisoners finding Ripley in the cryo-tube, as opposed to her somehow getting ejected from it and onto the beach.

I also definitely prefer the "arc" of the dog finding the facehugger, and then the emotional impact of the dog's suffering as it gives birth to the Alien, and then Murphy calling out to his dog before he ends up being the Alien's first victim. I think it works a lot better than the ox.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed