Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 244,230 times)

SiL

Someone unexpectedly exploding on a dinner table was much more horrifying than when you expect it to happen.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SiL on Aug 01, 2018, 08:55:11 PM
Someone unexpectedly exploding on a dinner table was much more horrifying than when you expect it to happen.

For me the reason the Aliens burster retains more of it's emotional potency is that it's connect directly to Ripley's motivations. The whole reason she goes along, at least in Weaver's mind, is to ensure that nobody ever go through what she went through in the first film. It's her nightmare literally reflected back at her.

The scene in the first film is expertly acted, paced, and delivered all around. I love every bit of it, even the "not so great" burster shooting off the table, but I think it has less going on underneath. It's effective horror. It's made me question sharp tinges from gas ever since.

Kane should've burped.

Denton Smalls

Quote from: SiL on Aug 01, 2018, 08:55:11 PM

That's what she said.  :laugh:

windebieste

Considering audiences in 1979 were expecting another space adventure along the lines of Star Wars and instead had a giant bloodied cock suddenly rip its way out of its victims chest - it doesn't get any more horrific than that.   Especially considering the cast had no idea the scene was going to be so bloody.  All the cast responded as appropriate - not just Weaver. 

Back in 1979, yeah.  It was genuinely shocking to just about everyone who walked off the street to see the movie on a Saturday night.  No iteration of a similar scene in an ALIEN movie since can take away from that experience.  They all suffer from 'been there.  Done that' repetition.

-Windebieste.

The Old One

The Old One

The people in 1979 aren't the ones who watch it now, everything changes with the context of time and unfortunately
it simply isn't as effective today.

SiL

That's subjective and many strongly disagree.

The Old One

The Old One

As I strongly disagree with the notion that it's the most effective one, narratively or in a horror context.

Like Dracula, you must respect the original but it doesn't mean it's the best rendition.

Denton Smalls

Denton Smalls

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 12, 2018, 12:19:04 PM
As I strongly disagree with the notion that it's the most effective one, narratively or in a horror context.

Like Dracula, you must respect the original but it doesn't mean it's the best rendition.

What would be the most effective narratively or in a horror context then, in your opinion?

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 12, 2018, 11:58:24 AM
The people in 1979 aren't the ones who watch it now, everything changes with the context of time and unfortunately
it simply isn't as effective today.

Can you provide whatever reference you used to come to the conclusion that the people in 1979 aren't the ones who watch it now?

Both my parents saw Alien in 1979 and both also saw Covenant, as did many others I know.

The Old One

The Old One

Sorry, I should say that the majority that have watched Alien since 1979 is far greater than those that saw it in 1979; as that's what I meant.

Narratively, thematically I think A3 and Covenant are the most powerful.
As for pure horror, I think Aliens' chestburster tops Alien, the ripping and tearing is far more visceral to me, the sounds of the bones snapping as well as the psychology of its' effect on our protagonist.

BishopShouldGo

I still can't entirely watch the Kane's chestburst. John's acting is too real.

Wweyland

Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie
Disney: No

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 12, 2018, 03:34:38 PM
Narratively, thematically I think A3 and Covenant are the most powerful.

Alien 3 is by far the most powerful. There's just no avoiding the narrative teeth of that film. It's dark, violent, and for more unforgiving than the first two films. Which is exactly what I wanted from it. The Assembly Cut is a masterpiece in my opinion, and I honestly wonder if it would've been better received had the second film not been what it was. All marines and dropships and action.

Something like an Alien loose on Gateway Station once Ripley is rescued. Kind of like Isolation. You could've had several Aliens near the end, and plenty of facehuggers running around. She escapes only to crash land on Fiorina in the third movie, with an e.e.v. full of facehuggers, thus solving the multiple hugger problem.

In various ways this would've left room for a movie set on earth to be made later. Maybe a transmission from the CM near the end saying they're coming up, or "we're standing by to receive survivors". But those survivors are Aliens or infected humans.

The Old One

The Old One

You can still do that film, just have the Torrens float into Earth's orbit after 300 years.

SM

QuoteThe Assembly Cut is a masterpiece in my opinion, and I honestly wonder if it would've been better received had the second film not been what it was.

It would be a slow and often redundant blur of faceless criminals swearing at each other no matter what happened in Aliens.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2018, 11:30:35 PM
QuoteThe Assembly Cut is a masterpiece in my opinion, and I honestly wonder if it would've been better received had the second film not been what it was.

It would be a slow and often redundant blur of faceless criminals swearing at each other no matter what happened in Aliens.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed