Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 245,165 times)

OpenMaw

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 24, 2018, 05:20:07 AM
I'd prefer they leave David's story open-ended if only to preserve a sliver of doubt that he had anything to do with the derelict on LV-426 and its cargo.

Yeah, the prequels have done enough damage to the lore by implying it was all about humanity and mad science.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 24, 2018, 05:23:01 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 24, 2018, 05:20:07 AM
I'd prefer they leave David's story open-ended if only to preserve a sliver of doubt that he had anything to do with the derelict on LV-426 and its cargo.

Yeah, the prequels have done enough damage to the lore by implying it was all about humanity and mad science.

He should have done what Cameron did with Avatar: start a new lore. At least it's better than a story without an identity the Alien prequel which isn't a prequel at all, sharing strands of Alien's DNA while it's exploring its own mythology and ideas...which is utterly pointless right now, as it has the Alien shoehorned in its sequel anyway.

The Old One

The Old One

I really do like the idea that Ridley Scott mentions in Covenant's commentary though that- David is perfect AI and created an equal AI in the Alien.

It would never sit right with me if the Alien was a natural creature, native to some ecosystem.

SM

Considering some of the species that have evolved on Earth - I don't see any reason the Alien couldn't have been natural.

The Old One

The Old One

Me waiting for the next Alien film.

tleilaxu

Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 23, 2018, 07:32:47 PM
I dunno you guys. They cancelled all of the upcoming Star Wars movies because so many fans hated The Last Jedi that no one went to see SOLO, so it only makes sense that Covenant's sequel would be cancelled because so many fan hated that.

This is serious; Im prepared to put up the money to remake Alien Covenant.

If we remake Alien Covenant we can save the franchise.

...Am I right?
Everybody knew right from the beginning that Solo was going to f**king bomb.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 24, 2018, 01:43:47 AM
There's nothing to finish, really.

David has his experiments and his guinea pigs, and a destination. We can assume they all met a grim fate.

Honestly if you were going to give the series a soft reboot, Isolation was the right way to do it. New character, room to breath, and a very strong earned emotional connection to the past. That scene where Amanda hears her mother's voice is fffffff... Man. That was well done. Weaver delivered the goods. The writing wasn't overblown. The actress for Amanda did great.

You don't need to close off anything with Covenant. They already torpedo the big questions at the start of Covenant. they threw out Shaw's story completely. There's nothing to carry on. I don't give a shit to see David go anywhere at this point because they chucked the complexity out of his character entirely by the time the husks that are supposed to be characters meet up with him in Covenant. He's just evil mad scientist robot. He could have been so much more. If they had kept Shaw alive, they could have really taken that relationship to some complex and interesting places. So yeah I don't see holding onto whatever Scott has planned. It's obvious he can't do this franchise anymore.
Lol sure, let's get more of the same shit, more nostalgia pandering so the boomers on this forum can save the franchise.

Quote from: muthur9000 on Jun 24, 2018, 03:55:46 AM
I just wanna chime in I love Covenant and it's given me so much more to ponder over in Prometheus and the original Quadrilogy. That is all  :D

I want more movies to analyse, even if Ridley Scott decides to produce multiple short films like the ones he does for the lead up to the actual movies I will take it.

The prequels give me a solid understanding of the franchise philosophy in a way I had never considered before and it's made me more passionate than ever.
Same. Ever since I was a kid I was fascinated by this creature, and Covenant made me love it even more.

OpenMaw

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jun 24, 2018, 03:21:26 PM
Lol sure, let's get more of the same shit, more nostalgia pandering so the boomers on this forum can save the franchise.

Let's not put words in my mouth, shall we?

The series is like a tour guide going "Let's go this way, no wait, this way. No, stop. Let's turn around here..." It's a muddled mess.

Simply moving away and going to a simpler story with new characters and building something else from that would be the better route to go. If you want to build it out from a new foundation, go for it. The problem with the prequel movies is that they started huge and had no idea where they were going.

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2018, 11:57:38 AM
Considering some of the species that have evolved on Earth - I don't see any reason the Alien couldn't have been natural.

Was never keen on the idea that it was an manufactured organism. Even in the context of the Derelict being a "space bomber" I always preferred the idea that the Jockey's had somehow cultivated or harvested them from a natural source. Like the alien-species equivalent to Antrhax.

Just thinking about the possibilities for an alien eco-system that this creature came from. Breaking down all of it's attributes could tell us so much about the environment it came from.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 24, 2018, 03:57:46 PM

Was never keen on the idea that it was an manufactured organism. Even in the context of the Derelict being a "space bomber" I always preferred the idea that the Jockey's had somehow cultivated or harvested them from a natural source. Like the alien-species equivalent to Antrhax.

Just thinking about the possibilities for an alien eco-system that this creature came from. Breaking down all of it's attributes could tell us so much about the environment it came from.

Lame. No thanks.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 24, 2018, 05:32:53 PM

Lame. No thanks.

I guess we agree to disagree in this one, as it's not lame at all. Yeah, maybe such concept lacks philosophical or existential implications, but on the other hand, we have to remember that this is science fiction and as such; it's not so bad some real science in the mix: an extraterrestrial organism that incorporates genetic characteristics of its host and has molecular acid in its blood.

"Parker: It's got a wonderful defense mechanism. You don't dare kill it."

Why molecular acid? is it a defense mechanism? against who or what? maybe the homeworld of this extraterrestrial being is so hostile and dangerous, that the only way to survive is to evolve biologically speaking to become a shapeshifting parasite that steals genetic characteristics of its predators to be at the top of its game, cos there are worse things than xenomorphs in such ecosystem. Also, Ash describes the creature as a survivor:

"Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Lambert: You admire it.

Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."

OpenMaw

Hell, it doesn't even have to be devoid of those kind of questions. Jurassic Park does a great job of discussing nature, control, ecosystems, evolution.

I just think of all the HR Giger artwork that could have been minded for landscapes, creatures. There could have been a whole society of creatures on Planet Alien.

tleilaxu

The problem with the prequel movies is that they started huge and had no idea where they were going.
So what? Discovery writing is not inherently bad. Sure, it's a mess, but I'd much rather have a flawed mess that REALLY delivered on some parts than plodding mediocrity all the way through.

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jun 24, 2018, 07:10:24 PM
I guess we agree to disagree in this one, as it's not lame at all. Yeah, maybe such concept lacks philosophical or existential implications, but on the other hand, we have to remember that this is science fiction and as such; it's not so bad some real science in the mix: an extraterrestrial organism that incorporates genetic characteristics of its host and has molecular acid in its blood.
Lol, there's no such thing as "molecular acid". They literally just prepended a sciency sounding word. Every f**king acid is "molecular"  ;D

OpenMaw

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jun 24, 2018, 08:46:05 PM
The problem with the prequel movies is that they started huge and had no idea where they were going.
So what? Discovery writing is not inherently bad. Sure, it's a mess, but I'd much rather have a flawed mess that REALLY delivered on some parts than plodding mediocrity all the way through.

Fine, but the prequels don't deliver on jack shit. one movie is aiming North East, and covenant jumps over the divider to head South West. Both essentially take turns trying to punch Alien, but since the movie is ten times their better, they just end up hurting their metaphorical hands.

No, you're right, discovery writing isn't inherently bad, except when you're dealing with a really complicated and big story that is supposed to encapsulate a series of films. In that instance you should be working out the broad details before you actually commit to a screenplay, so that you can actually etch out some kind of an arc and progression from film to film.

I'd rather we had something coherent and masterfully crafted.

Evanus

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 24, 2018, 09:40:40 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Jun 24, 2018, 08:46:05 PM

Fine, but the prequels don't deliver on jack shit. one movie is aiming North East, and covenant jumps over the divider to head South West. Both essentially take turns trying to punch Alien, but since the movie is ten times their better, they just end up hurting their metaphorical hands.

No, you're right, discovery writing isn't inherently bad, except when you're dealing with a really complicated and big story that is supposed to encapsulate a series of films. In that instance you should be working out the broad details before you actually commit to a screenplay, so that you can actually etch out some kind of an arc and progression from film to film.

I'd rather we had something coherent and masterfully crafted.
Speak for yourself.  ;)

OpenMaw

Evanus

Didn't seem like it. Not that it really matters, ha.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed