Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 244,857 times)

Xenomrph

For body-horror, maybe, depending on how it's handled, A lot of what makes horror work is what's not shown. PG-13 doesn't automatically mean jump scares, there are a bunch of quality PG-13 horror movies that are scary because of the sense of looming dread, tension, and as mentioned, what isn't shown.

Shit, aside from the rampant profanity and the colonist chestburster scene in 'Aliens', that movie is practically bloodless. A reworking of the dialogue would turn that movie into an easy PG-13 by today's standards. Even Bishop getting torn in half wouldn't trigger an R-rateing, as the MPAA only cares about actual genuine bona-fide red human blood when it comes to gore. You can show aliens or robots being blasted apart and dismembered to your heart's content, and it's not considered "gory".

Scorpio

Today's PG-13 horror means jump scares, because that's what is popular now.

Some of my favourite horror films are from the 1930s which are all about atmosphere, but the kids don't like that stuff.  Incidentally, those films were X rated when released but now they're G/PG.

Yes, Aliens could be PG-13 if you removed the swearing.  Aliens was often shown on prime time television with the curse words edited out to get an acceptable rating so the kiddies could watch it.  None of the gore or violence shown in Aliens qualifies for R rating.

But Aliens is primarily an action movie, and it downplays the body horror and disturbing aspects of Alien.  If it weren't for Alien 3, which brought back the extreme gore, the Alien franchise could have easily gone into kiddie territory, yes.

Richman678

Should it be on the same level? Hard to say. Alien and Aliens are two of the most important Sci Fi movies like ever! Then you got the rest of the movies. While I like Ridley's spirit let's be real here. Alien and Aliens are rated R movies. It's not just for body horror either. You guys are forgetting the swearing. While there wasn't much in Alien....there's a ton in Aliens. Do you guys think Hudson would have been as awesome without getting to drop F bombs left and right???

Then there's the lifecycle to be taken into account as well. You don't get Alien without face hugging and chest bursting. Add in the dreaded face punctures done by the adult aliens. I don't think this series works unless it's rated R. AVP might have been good if they added blood and swearing. I still think the AVP story was Great! It was lacking in other departments which lead to its disappointment.

Alien does'nt need a reboot. It needs to be revitalized. Needs a new director with a new vision of Science Fiction.

However Ridley's Prometheus trilogy still isn't finished. I say give him a small budget and let him finish it. Keep Alien out of the title, and release it in January. If it's amazing then it will make money...if not then you can prob at least break even. Then sit back and get ready for Disney to roll out the red carpet and give Alien the treatment it deserves. If they were smart they would get a new director with a new vision of Sci Fi.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 26, 2017, 01:05:48 PM
Today's PG-13 horror means jump scares, because that's what is popular now.

Some of my favourite horror films are from the 1930s which are all about atmosphere, but the kids don't like that stuff.  Incidentally, those films were X rated when released but now they're G/PG.

Yes, Aliens could be PG-13 if you removed the swearing.  Aliens was often shown on prime time television with the curse words edited out to get an acceptable rating so the kiddies could watch it.  None of the gore or violence shown in Aliens qualifies for R rating.

But Aliens is primarily an action movie, and it downplays the body horror and disturbing aspects of Alien.  If it weren't for Alien 3, which brought back the extreme gore, the Alien franchise could have easily gone into kiddie territory, yes.
'Aliens' isn't a kiddie movie just because it doesn't have gore, or because you can edit the swearing out and air it on cable. :D

Have you seen the movie 'Lights Out'? It's a PG-13 movie, has next to no jump scares, and it's scary as shit. That movie came out last year.
Other recent winners that come to mind are 'Insidious', and 'Mama'.

The MPAA is wildly inconsistent in its ratings, and filmmakers with enough pull can argue for movies to get rated pretty much whatever they want. 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre', a movie with literally no blood, no profanity, no nudity or sexual content, and no people killed on-screen, got an R-rating because the MPAA thought it was "too intense" for a PG (and the PG-13 rating didn't exist yet). Meanwhile Jaws, a movie chock full of blood and body parts and people getting maimed by a shark, got a PG.

Again, in today's market, you can get away with a lot with a PG-13 rating and it's entirely possible to make a genuinely scary horror movie without it being R. Here's a few fun lists for you to check out that are about that exact topic:

http://collider.com/pg-13-scary-horror-movies/#lights-out
https://www.ranker.com/list/best-pg-13-horror-film-movies/reference (this is a community driven list, and I strongly disagree with a lot of the rankings, but oh well)
https://screenrant.com/best-scariest-pg-13-horror-movies/

Beatnation

Beatnation

Quote from: Gash on Dec 23, 2017, 09:19:46 PM
Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 23, 2017, 08:46:37 PM
Quote from: Gash on Dec 23, 2017, 08:09:31 PM
Quote from: Buttz on Dec 23, 2017, 06:08:00 PM
Scott is has made the Alien uninteresting.

Salvaged it from endless generic runarounds IMHO.

Aliens, Alien 3, Alien:Resurrection? or all of them?

Alien3 has some interesting ideas so I admire some aspects of it, all the others just rehash Alien to lesser effect.

Alien 3 -Assembly Cut- is a masterpiece, to me the best of the franchise.

Disney gonna turn Alien in a joke, a quip fest, exactly like the MCU and the Star Wars Universe.

XenoHunter99

I don't think Alien can rise in franchise stature to the size or fanbase of Star Wars or Star Trek. That's also not a bad thing. For all the money it's made, the Star Wars franchise has suffered greatly since TESB, and it has not materially improved since Disney took over. Star Trek... I don't know what that is any more. I think it died and its bloated corpse is now walking around.

I think as a franchise, Dark Horse had the right idea. Not every story was a winner, but the idea was right. The Alien has become a fact of life in the universe, and humanity struggles to deal with its presence. With hypercapitalism as a driving force, corporations try to profit from it (often with horrible results). The military tries to dominate it and utilize it as a weapon of war. Failing that, the military must defend against it. Ordinary people try to survive it.

In that respect, AVP also works in the DH mythos as the Predators have a symbiotic relationship with both the Alien and with humans. There is room for stories about the androids in human culture, and it makes sense to say something about the Engineers. There are questions that could be answered. How is it that humans have spaceships with casually perfect artificial gravity and FTL drive but weapons are not really much more advanced than what we've got today? I'd go with "we stole it from these more advanced other races." How about that hypersleep? You know freezing a body actually blows out the cell walls as the water inside freezes. Future humans solved that without a blood-to-chemical transfusion. That's sort of interesting. And the creature. Even with all Scott has done, the creature is still sort of an enigma. Why that physical form? And so on. Of course, it's easier to make all that work in comics. Lower budgets, lower financial expectations. But it shows clearly that Alien can exist as a larger franchise.

I will add my bias: I like the original movie the best. I like AVP, too, for what it tried to do and for the places where it really did succeed. I like the rest in varying degrees of not as much for a list of reasons far too long to post here. YMMV and that's fine.

Whiskeybrewer

I dont get why everyone is worried about Disney having aquired Fox, since they used to own Miramax. Fox will go/stay in that direction

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 26, 2017, 05:15:26 PM
I dont get why everyone is worried about Disney having aquired Fox, since they used to own Miramax. Fox will go/stay in that direction
We do not know what actual effect Disney ownership will have on Fox products. I think there is adequate evidence to support the idea that Disney might strongarm directors or even replace directors to get a finished product that meets Disney prerequisites. Perhaps Disney will remain hands-off, but it is equally likely Disney will assign an exec like Kathleen Kennedy to enforce Disney's interests in all things Alien.

Whiskeybrewer

maybe yeah, but theyve done that with Pixar and Marvel by getting someone who knows and cares about the history

Beatnation

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 26, 2017, 06:29:11 PM
maybe yeah, but theyve done that with Pixar and Marvel by getting someone who knows and cares about the history

Pick one.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 26, 2017, 07:58:54 PM

Pick one.

Im talking about the movies, not the comics

SM

QuoteI don't think Alien can rise in franchise stature to the size or fanbase of Star Wars or Star Trek.

It can't because it's R-rated which disqualifies a large chunk of your audience.  I can't take my children to an Alien film (maybe the eldest if she was interested); I can take them to Star Wars or Trek film though.  There's five of us who go and watch Star Wars releases.  When Covenant came out I went on my own.

It can be bigger than it is though and if Disney decides to emulate Aliens - it would likely do the trick.

Beatnation

Beatnation

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 26, 2017, 08:37:20 PM

Pick one.

Talking about the movies here, do you really think they are good or even decent movie and not generic bullcrap for the masses??, well... to each his own I guess...

Dabaus

Alien, will never, and can never reach the mainstream penetration Star Wars has and there's nothing wrong with that. This is pure damage control on the part of scott trying to spin his "beast is cooked" comment. Best monster ever, right. Says the guy who completely took them out of Prometheus, bullied his way back to the directors chair when he caught wind of blomkamps film and awkwardly forced a xenomorph in the trash fire that was alien covenant. I'm glad fox put his "vision" on hold. Maybe someone from Disney who actually cares about the franchise will do something.

SM

Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 26, 2017, 09:48:25 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 26, 2017, 08:37:20 PM

Pick one.

Talking about the movies here, do you really think they are good or even decent movie and not egenric bullcrap for the masses??, well... to each his own I guess...

I love the Marvel movies and don't find them egenric at all.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed