Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 244,025 times)

The Old One

The Old One

It's what you should want for the closure of Ellen Ripley's story.
Even if it was not the most fair fate, shit happens to good people sometimes- that's life.

You're thirty years too late to change anything, setting up a new story whether or not it even acknowledges the trilogy doesn't make any difference.
As long as it's good. Ellen Ripley, Newt and Hicks are only three in billions of humans you can tell stories about.
Give some of them a shot, this isn't the Ripley saga.
In fact; new Alien films should be made in mind with the idea that Ellen Ripley practically never existed.

Basically, only use the facts in the fiction. Then with that as a basis for the universe- tell your own story.

I can't emphasize enough how much of a bad idea it is for a story that revolves around the void and monsters to have a cast of recurring characters, there's no passing of the torch needed either because that's obviously too rehearsed for Alien's naturalism.
The Alien and reality of the world loses all of it's bite if authors can just bring back those characters if they feel like it.
f**k that.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 22, 2018, 12:49:28 AM
It's what you should want for the closure of Ellen Ripley's story.
Even if it was not the most fair fate, shit happens to good people sometimes- that's life.

You're thirty years too late to change anything, setting up a new story whether or not it even acknowledges the trilogy doesn't make any difference.
As long as it's good. Ellen Ripley, Newt and Hicks are only three in billions of humans you can tell stories about.
Give some of them a shot, this isn't the Ripley saga.
In fact; new Alien films should be made in mind with the idea that Ellen Ripley practically never existed.

Basically, only use the facts in the fiction. Then with that as a basis for the universe- tell your own story.

I can't emphasize enough how much of a bad idea it is for a story that revolves around the void and monsters to have a cast of recurring characters, there's no passing of the torch needed either because that's obviously too rehearsed for Alien's naturalism.
The Alien and reality of the world loses all of it's bite if authors can just bring back those characters if they feel like it.
f**k that.

Thank you for telling me what I should want.  I really appreciate that.  I was at a loss before you came along.

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps that was unfair. But the rest of the post explains why I find why what you want makes me wanna do this;

Perfect-Organism

Ma'am, please don't blow your head off.  We're all just talking as fans about works of fiction.  It's not worth it.

Huggs

The negativity of the female predator thread, the positivity of the Godzilla trailer and stuff like this. It's an emotional day here at avpgalaxy.

whiterabbit

I just want a sequel to A|R. One last Weaver movie. A really strange one at that. One where Call is now called Tod. Where Ripley finds herself... back on Earth doing shitty jobs for a few years and then bam, she decides to colonize the world in the name of the ALIEN when she finds out she can lay eggs and it is quite nice to rule in hell.

irn

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 21, 2018, 10:49:17 PM
Alien 3 is not at all a bad film, and certainly it's good for closure.

This. It's a great end to the Ripley story arc trilogy.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 22, 2018, 06:43:01 AM
I just want a sequel to A|R. One last Weaver movie. A really strange one at that. One where Call is now called Tod. Where Ripley finds herself... back on Earth doing shitty jobs for a few years and then bam, she decides to colonize the world in the name of the ALIEN when she finds out she can lay eggs and it is quite nice to rule in hell.

I colonized Earth...

...in your face Mark Watney.

Darwinsgirl

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 21, 2018, 10:50:26 AM
Quote from: Denton Smalls on Jul 21, 2018, 01:53:40 AM
Luckily there are probably more than 4 fans in the film business.

Matt Hatton, Carlos Huante and  Dane Hallett are all genuine fans and have done excellent work.

But I've never seen a genuine fan also be an excellent writer/director- and I certainly don't believe a fan in charge is the correct avenue for contributing to this franchise by being in direct control of a project.

What you really need after Ridley Scott is gone is a Jonathan Glazer, David Lynch or John Carpenter.
Not a Neill Blomkamp.

Another good one would be Jennifer Kent (her directorial debut was The Babadook), with a story set in a remote location far away from any references to the prequels or sequels (except Aliens) or whatever. Just treat it as a soft-reboot, with nothing connecting it to the previous films save a review of the feats of the Xenomorph, regarding what it did to a doomed crew of merchant marines, a colony vessel, and a marine drop crew on LV-426 (without even mentioning any names). And unlike any Alien film since 1992, it would revolve exclusively around a solitary Xenomorph, with the potential of it being joined by more of its brethren in the final act, brutally eliminating the crew in new, creative and original ways. I even had an idea where one of the first casualties dies in the way Lambert was originally supposed to die (being sucked out into space through the garbage chute), but were unable to do so due to the lack of technology and special effects. There would also be very little gore, an example would be some time after the chestburster sequence (which involves a far more drawn-out and visceral/jarring-in-appearance struggle with the human body responding/contorting in many physically-intimidating ways to the cat-sized creature forcing its way out of the torso) they are searching for the creature while also trying to get the power back on in their shitty/old 'factory in space' type starship, and while one crewmember is working one some paneling her partner is yanked like a ragdoll into the darkness with blinding speed. She realizes he is gone, and starts telling him to knock it off with the jokes. A small object is tossed out of the shadows, rolls up to her, and it is revealed to be his dismembered eyeball. In other words, what little gore there is, is carefully inserted at a few points to create fear and foreboding (in this case, showcasing that he is dead), not to provoke disgust.

The Old One

The Old One

I think you've hit the nail on the head, and like James Cameron said, there's a substantial difference between violence and gore, violence can be scary and lead to gore- but gore for the sake of it just provokes disgust.

Although I myself do find Aliens lack of blood a little too safe for my liking.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 01, 2018, 05:23:27 PM
I think you've hit the nail on the head, and like James Cameron said, there's a substantial difference between violence and gore, violence can be scary and lead to gore- but gore for the sake of it just provokes disgust.

Although I myself do find Aliens lack of blood a little too safe for my liking.

Yeah, the things I have in mind are kind of like the scary-as-shit-for-their-time horror slashers like Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist and Texas Chainsaw, but... like... on steroids and weapons-grade LSD. Think mixing the ominous, foreboding "peekaboo" scares of Alien with the breakneck velocity and ultra-violence of Aliens. With the right atmosphere and score/SFX, shit could be utter nightmare-fuel.

OpenMaw

Mostly because the Aliens are never offensive on a personal one-to-one basis. They're like a storm that sweeps in and washes people away. The only time we see an alien outright kill in Aliens is on the dropship, which results in a cut away of some blood.

In fact the only scene with any genuine blood is the colonist bursting in the hive, and I honestly think it's of equal effectiveness to that of Kane's. Primarily because of Ripley's distraught reaction. Weaver sells the dread, pain, and the sorrow so well.

D. Compton Ambrose

Meh. Its still inferior to Kane's birthing by quite a vacuum in my opinion.

The Old One

The Old One

I disagree, I think Alien is a better film but for my money the chestburster in Aliens is far and away the superior scene. If you intend to horrify.

It doesn't help that the chestburster running away on the table in Alien doesn't look so good, in Aliens there's an immediate dread of the hive waking up.
The reactions of the crew of the Nostromo are unparalleled bar none I'll say.

Like the overall films, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed