Vincent Ward's wooden planet and the civilization of the Engineers in Covenant

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Nov 16, 2017, 05:12:01 PM

Author
Vincent Ward's wooden planet and the civilization of the Engineers in Covenant (Read 1,499 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I don't know if you guys are thinking the same, but for me, the Engineers at Covenant seemed like an amalgamation between the prisoners from Fiorina "Fury" 161 and the monks at "Vincent Ward's wooden planet".

Seriously think about it, they seem more like a bunch of crazy guys living in some kind of dystopian post apocalyptic society, instead of these majestic god-like beings that we saw in Prometheus.

I know that there is a more dull explanation for that, but, what if they just decided to recycle these old ideas and concepts in order to use them in Covenant?

Baron Von Marlon

I think the monk look is because of the religious aspects in Alien 3 and Prometheus.

The difference in their appearance is because they're humanoids.
The ones in Prometheus are military types of a younger age. Just like the sacrificial Engineers.
He was accompanied by elders hence their look.
And those in Covenants are just average civilians.

Highland

I'm in the dull camp. The Engineers in Covenant are just canon fodder for the 15 seconds they are on screen, that's about it. I don't think there's any deep meaning behind it.

If there were there would be more exploration of the City, more comments by David, anything.....

SM

I don't imagine there's any link to Alien 3.

It's not like Alien 3 created that look.

Scorpio

I reckon it has more to do with Chariots of the Gods, because these look like an ancient people but with advanced technology given to them by aliens.  It's like the flashback scene in AVP but set on another planet.  And not involving Aztec/Mayan types but Greek/Roman types.

Highland

It's the Engineers home world. That's where they went.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 16, 2017, 06:45:34 PM
I think the monk look is because of the religious aspects in Alien 3 and Prometheus.

Agreed.
One key to understanding "Prometheus" is that the Engineers, in some ways, have a very traditional culture which is tied to several ideas which are part of some ancient religions in our world.
The production for "Alien 3" considered a monastery station which had characters who were very religious.
- The monk robe is a quick visual clue/symbol for the audience about that.

;)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

We'll never know, but judging by the concept art of the film, the Engineers seem to be very religious:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed