Is The Beast Cooked? (And Alien and Predator Under The House That Mickey Built) - AvPGalaxy Podcast #58

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2017, 06:40:24 AM

Author
Is The Beast Cooked? (And Alien and Predator Under The House That Mickey Built) - AvPGalaxy Podcast #58 (Read 28,881 times)

skhellter

skhellter

Omega is FAKE NEWS.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Dec 04, 2017, 11:41:23 AM
Advantages of seniority and a proven track record and awards vs. a guy who made one good movie and two average ones.  He should let the new guy take over just 'cos?

I don't think anyone suggested that Blomkamp was going to "take over". And Scott had been attached as a producer too. I think the expectation was that they would exist in conjunction, which certainly seemed to be the case going forward and likely what most of us may have wanted. While I was hesitant about the whole retcon thing, I'd certainly have loved to have got them both. I'd initially thought that Fox just didn't want to risk bank rolling 2 Alien films at the same time.

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 04, 2017, 11:43:54 AM
not just cos

just cos HIX AND NUT! That's what the realtrufanswant!1

At least Ridley isnt rushing to make ALIENS2:BATTLE4EARF!1 ::)

I'm sick of seeing this attitude towards anyone who was interested in that film. Is it that hard for people to see others povs without resorting to mocking? I wasn't sold on the idea of retconning Alien 3 either but how about you tone down your troll attitude. My patience with you is really wearing thin.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Advantages of seniority and a proven track record and awards vs. a guy who made one good movie and two average ones.  He should let the new guy take over just 'cos?

From 2010 Scott made mediocre movies like Robin Hood, The Counsellor and Exodus: Gods and Kings. Two so-so/decent, Prometheus and Alien: Covenant and one great, The Martian. Would you call that proven track record?

Alien and Blade Runner were Scott's second and third movies. Why not give a chance to somebody young and passionate about Alien universe?

trilobite

trilobite

denis villeneuve would be a dream, his track record is really exciting and i think dune is in good hands
would also like to see what david fincher could do if given another shot.

Ingwar

I doubt that Denis and David would be interested to make Alien film.

trilobite

trilobite

-nods- ridley scott making alien films till he's 100 it is, then

SM

SM

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 04, 2017, 01:31:09 PM

From 2010 Scott made mediocre movies like Robin Hood, The Counsellor and Exodus: Gods and Kings. Two so-so/decent, Prometheus and Alien: Covenant and one great, The Martian. Would you call that proven track record?

Alien and Blade Runner were Scott's second and third movies. Why not give a chance to somebody young and passionate about Alien universe?

The three you disingenuously cherry picked while attempting to handwave the preceding 30+ years of the man's career were stronger than Blomkamp's three features.

He's earned the right across that career to say 'I want to continue with this and not have the waters muddied'.

I'd say 'nice try' but it really wasn't.

Ingwar

Ingwar

It didn't say that he didn't earn the right. He did earn it and he ... wasted it with Prometheus and Covenant. Time to pass it to somebody else. It doesn't have to be Neill.

PS Scott himself muddied the waters.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 04, 2017, 09:35:20 AM
So I was just reminded about some insider comments we'd heard about Scott and Alien 5. It sounds like there may have been some dick moves from Scott in regards to getting Alienkamp pushed to the side.  :-\
Even if that's true it'd still be great news. Blomkamp's best film was literally an Apartheid story with shrimps. No f**king thanks to that in the Alien-verse.

Quote from: trilobite on Dec 04, 2017, 03:50:21 PM
denis villeneuve would be a dream, his track record is really exciting and i think dune is in good hands
Are you sure about that? After Blade Runner 2049's Hollywoodesque script I'm less certain, and on top of that Brian Herbert, the man dedicated to raping his father's legacy to death, is also collaborating on the movie IIRC. I'm prepared to get disappointed.

windebieste

trilobite

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 04, 2017, 09:06:14 PM
So I was just reminded about some insider comments we'd heard about Scott and Alien 5. It sounds like there may have been some dick moves from Scott in regards to getting Alienkamp pushed to the side.  :-\
Even if that's true it'd still be great news. Blomkamp's best film was literally an Apartheid story with shrimps. No f**king thanks to that in the Alien-verse.

Are you sure about that? After Blade Runner 2049's Hollywoodesque script I'm less certain, and on top of that Brian Herbert, the man dedicated to raping his father's legacy to death, is also collaborating on the movie IIRC. I'm prepared to get disappointed.

you didn't like br2049? i'm not sure i'd call it hollywoodesque either, considering the ending

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 04, 2017, 09:18:16 PM
Ripley is cooked.   :D

-Windebieste.

...at the bottom of the iron works on Fury 161

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: trilobite on Dec 04, 2017, 09:37:48 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 04, 2017, 09:06:14 PM

you didn't like br2049? i'm not sure i'd call it hollywoodesque either, considering the ending
Spoiler
"GUYS WE ARE NOT SLAVES WE ARE HUMANS TOO, AND THE FACT THAT WE CAN HAVE KIDS PROVES IT, ALSO HERE'S HARRISON FORD REUNITING WITH HIS DAUGHTER" this was like, super Hollywoodesque. I got hyped for Niander Wallace, but in the end he's just a guy trying to optimize replicant production. And for some reason they need to take Harrison Ford to space before they can torture him. So many things didn't make sense and felt like Hollywood plot contrivances.
Note, I still liked the movie, just wasn't what I was hoping for.
[close]

trilobite

i think you should put that in a spoiler, for people who haven't seen the film yet reading that would suck

SM

SM

QuoteIt didn't say that he didn't earn the right. He did earn it and he ... wasted it with Prometheus and Covenant. Time to pass it to somebody else. It doesn't have to be Neill.

The box office and reviews tell us it's wasn't as wasted and you'd like us to think.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed