Is The Beast Cooked? (And Alien and Predator Under The House That Mickey Built) - AvPGalaxy Podcast #58

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2017, 06:40:24 AM

Author
Is The Beast Cooked? (And Alien and Predator Under The House That Mickey Built) - AvPGalaxy Podcast #58 (Read 29,062 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 58th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Our latest podcast is a bit of a reactionary episode, discussing Sir Ridley Scott’s recent comments reaffirming his belief that “the beast has almost run out” and we also talk a little about the news that Disney was looking to acquire some of 20th Century Fox’s entertainment assets.

RidgeTop, Xenomorphine and I talk about Scott’s comment and if we think there’s any truth in that statement. We also throw out a wishlist of other directors we’d like to see take on an Alien film and just we also talk about whether Disney owning Alien and Predator is really such a bad thing?

At one point during this episode, Xenomorphine mentions that Clive Barker was attached to Alien 3 at one point during its production. You can find more information regarding this over on the Official Clive Barker website and on Alien Explorations.

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes and Stitcher.

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Bojo

Some interesting Director choices.I can see where the original persons views,regarding Directorial options go,was thinking though I strongly disagee with his choices. Bigelow,Garland and Duncan Jones are good options.I agree that we need Directors who have stronger interest in making characters,relatable or otherwise.The characters are the strongest aspect of Alien for me,in my opinion,though obviously most priase is aimed towards its original authentic art design.

My Directorial choices:

Cary Fukunaga (Beasts Of No Nation)
Duncan Jones (Moon)
David Lowery (A Ghost Story)
Nicolas Winding Refn (Neon Demon)
Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty)
Blomkamp (District 9)
And a David Fincher comeback (Zodiac)

Abit of left field thinking might just do the trick.

DestinyCaptain

Another great episode guys. Thanks.

I wish we had these more often. I enjoy the round-table discussions. This actually brought me back to the forum to post. I hadn't been here since right after AC. Just lost the will to talk about it.

The big thing I wanted to address was the stuff about Disney. It's funny how this is being talked about across various different venues. So,in addition to this podcast, I also follow the Weekly Planet, Red Letter Media, CineGods, Comic Book Cast, Midnight's Edge, Georg Rockall-Schmidt and Please Rewind.

Most of them have discussed the Disney - Fox talks. Of course there a lot of different perspectives on it. I cite these sources because I think they are worth listening to about it. Most of these are movie and genre related shows.

I think it's clear that Disney, or rather what it is now, is a large corporation that owns and manages several other smaller companies. A lot of people seem to think that they are very hands on. I don't think that is necessarily the case. They seem to be content to let the sub-companies run things until and unless the sub-companies become unprofitable or show that they are in trouble.

Ridgetop spoke about the problems that Star Wars has had with directors as an example of Disney interference. This is actually an issue with the leadership at Lucasfilm. Disney did not stop Lord and Miller from directing Han Solo. In fact that film was almost done when they were ousted. So that means that Disney at the corporate level had no problem with their hire or at least TRUSTED Lucasfilm to make the right decisions for it's projects. The same is true for Rogue One. The problem lies with Lucasfilm. They chose poorly and had a lack of vision or focus for those projects so that when they were almost to the point of no return that they had to be course corrected to save them. Kathleen Kennedy shoulders all the responsibility as the head of Lucasfilm. They made poor choices and they allowed them to run too long. Disney is content to let Lucasfilm run things UNTIL they prove they can and THEN you will see a leadership change. Lucas film is the one that hired JJ too. If you have a problem with the new trilogy, that's all JJ and Kennedy.

Disney lets Marvel run their own business. They are profitable and they put butts in seats, As long as they can do that Disney will stay out of things. An example is when Kevin Feige reportedly went to Disney to get Ike Pearlmutter moved out of the movie division because he was a problem. Permutter was keeping them from making more money because he stood in the way of various projects and partnerships. The SONY Spiderman collaboration would never have happened under his leadership.

If Disney did buy FOX outright, which is NOT what all this was about, they would likely run all projects that are currently coming out of FOX like Deadpool 2 as FOX release. FOX would essentially operate as a sub company under the Disney flag. As long as they were profitable and were moving forward, they would be left alone. When they don't, Disney would most definitely step in. I suspect they'd make sure teams were in place to manage "franchises" like Alien and Predator where there apparently are none. This might mean bringing people in to form those teams. Be assured they would do so to keep those things moving forward.

The main reason they are having these meetings is for the streaming service they are building. If they purchase pieces of FOX or buy distribution rights to the FOX catalog, they will have more content they can put on there service. They have already singed agreements with a few studios to get their films on the Disney Movies Anywhere App which has been re-branded to MOVIES Anywhere. This is the place where you get digital version of a film when you buy it. That is most certainly a step to the end goal.

Yes, they are probably talking to FOX about the distribution rights to ANH and the Marvel properties that FOX has the rights to. However, the streaming service is far more important to the DISNEY corporation's future goals. They plan the be THE number one service. Incidentally,this is also where I am sure Disney does put pressure on Lucasfilm and Marvel. They need content. So, I am sure they give mandates to all their sub companies to have thngs to put on that service. In this scenario they'd be telling then they need X number of series in development for a 2018 release. They need X number of movies ready. Remember that Disney owns Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Disney Animation, ABC Television, and ESPN. They are not going to HURT a brand. They want them to be successful and they will do what they need to do to make that happen.

It's not all bout princesses and castles...

XENOMORPHOSIS

I wonder if any of these choices would be good to Direct an Alien film.

Alex Proyas Dark City, The Crow
Juan Carlos Fresnadillo 28 weeks later
Vincenzo Natali Cube, Splice
Darren Aronofsky Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Black Swan

Bojo

How about Danny Boyle ?
Has history with both Science fiction and Horror and is a great actors director and he also knows the difference between a good script and a poor one.
Perfect !

Ingwar

Ingwar

The best AvP podcast l've heard so far.

My first choise is Guillermo del Toro. He's fanboy and true man of passion. He makes monster movies because he loves it. Others are Duncan Jones (cannot wait to see Mute) and Jonathan Glazer (Under the Skin).

redalert51

I do not know whether take his comments seriously. The  directs his films with a huge thousand dollar cigars either in his mouth,,mostly in his hand, But in end Sir Ridley is a visualist first and director second..

Mickey Mouse buying the " Alien and Predator franchise e.g What Pocahontas vs Alien vs Predator ..What the F#%k are you.

Huggs

Huggs

As far as directors go:

1.Fincher - yes again. Alien 3 brought the gritty darkness I love in Fincher's films, and it suited the series well.
2. Alex Proyas - The Crow, Dark City, Knowing
3. Tim Burton - I don't particularly enjoy his films, but he's got a dark streak and it could be interesting to see what he could do with it. Just don't have the ultra cheesy vibe from Batman. Sleepy Hollow was good though.
4.Del Toro - He's got that semi-serious action style with a touch of darkness. Blade 2, Pacific Rim, Hellboy,The Strain Series. The guy makes stuff that's fun to watch. That's the most important thing.
5. Gore Verbinksi - The Ring, A Cure For Wellness - I could really see him doing a movie in this series.
6. Not Christopher Nolan or Michael Bay, For the love of God.
7. See Number 6.
8. John Ford - If he was still alive. The guy could make it happen.
9. Joss Whedon
10. John Carpenter - The Thing. What more do you need? He's got the gift.
11. Sam Mendes - Skyfall
12. John Hillcoat - The Road, Lawless. An honorable mention I suppose.
13. Tarantino - C'mon. Who wouldn't want to see that?
14. Roland Emmerich - The guy destroys the world for a living. He's got serious clout. Resurgence 2 was just a bad idea from the start.
15. Garreth Edwards - Godzilla. Yeah I know, star wars. But I don't like star wars, and I love Godzilla 2014. It was a big movie done right, and the creature was treated with some respect.

If Disney ever takes over anything, we're going to be looking at an AVP reboot. They can make pg13 action creature fests for the teenagers. I don't see a proper Alien or predator film coming out of that situation.

I forgot to mention Frank Darabont as well. Shawshank and The mist are two of my favorite films.

Clive barker

Wow he would of made a masterfull alien movie if given free creative control

0321recon

0321recon

What's that honey? It smells good. It's a steamed Xeno with lemon and orange seasoning.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Listened to the podcast and mostly agree with the points brought across.

However, seeing what occurred with Covenant's reception and Scott's true feelings, Fox should just take a leap of faith and risk it. They should just break the franchise let new blood come in and take over the franchise and Scott does his exploration of the universe. For that to occur, Fox should just discard Covenant and do a true Prometheus 2 sequel while 'x' director ventures with a new Alien film.

Fox mentions that Covenant gave them some profit, so they should take the route that Paramount is taking by virtually discarding T: Genysis and all the films after T2. Use that money for a true Prometheus 2 or a new Alien film that finances Scott's Prometheus films.

Give Scott $30-$40 million for his Prometheus 2. Stage the film with David and Shaw finding Paradise already destroyed by the militant engineers that we saw in Prometheus. Have them explore the planet and find survivors who tell them what occurred, and in the same time, Shaw gets the answers she was seeking though at the cost of her and David's safety since the planet is poisoned by the pathogen and threatening organisms attack them and the surviving engineers. Have the film mostly shot on location such as the forest and rivers that we saw on Covenant to save the cost of building sets, do man on suit for the creatures and Engineers. With that it saves them a ton of money.

For the Alien films my choices would be Fincher, Villenueve, Fukunaga, Bigelow, Boyle, Garland, and Blomkamp (with the caveat of not ret-coning Alien3)

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Bojo on Nov 16, 2017, 08:17:46 PM
How about Danny Boyle ?
Has history with both Science fiction and Horror and is a great actors director and he also knows the difference between a good script and a poor one.
Perfect !
Dilly, dilly!

Scorpio

I don't know if most of these directors mentioned would touch an Alien film.

Jean Pierre Jeunet for Alien 5.  Who better to make a follow up to Alien 4.

Jonesy1974

That was a really interesting Podcast, I probably lean more towards Hicks views the most.

As for possible future directors, I think Gore Verbinski, Danny Boyle or Frank Darabont would be a good fit. They all have a handle on dark atmosphere and visuals. I do think it needs to have a director with a proven track record at the helm because I'd worry the studio would bully an inexperienced guy and give them less creative control.

I definitely wouldn't want Del Toro. I like a few of his films but think he would make a film closer in tone and style to Resurrection which is the last thing Id want to see.

jdxmoore

Good podcast.

Danny Boyle all the way for me.

Baron Von Marlon

S. Craig Zahler - Bone Tomahawk and Brawl In Cell Block 99

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 16, 2017, 11:12:45 PM
As far as directors go:

10. John Carpenter - The Thing. What more do you need? He's got the gift.

Hail to the king!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed