AvP Central

Started by Wweyland, Nov 14, 2017, 09:29:05 PM

Author
AvP Central (Read 44,914 times)

Wweyland

Wweyland

I have created a new AvP themed fansite: https://www.avpcentral.com
Although I just registered here in the forums,  in my defense I will say I made my first fansite in 2001 and have been part of the AvP community ever since (loved the AvpNews days). I have been reading the forums for a long time but haven't really posted anything.
I am a web programmer and decided to combine some of my skills and knowledge on this site.
Its still pretty much work in progress but I am trying to improve the content and technical side. Let me know what you think.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Get some forums up dude.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: x-M-x on Jan 29, 2018, 08:17:38 AM
Get some forums up dude.
The forums seem to be a dying breed, its all about social media now.
I also think having a lot of different forums keeps the community too segregated.
And I mostly like it here :)

Any feedback on the site is welcome.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Social groups do seem to be the current in-trend. But even then, out of all the Alien and Predator Facebook groups only 3 seem to be regularly active.

Do you have any current plans for AvP Central, Ww?

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2018, 01:55:58 PM
Social groups do seem to be the current in-trend. But even then, out of all the Alien and Predator Facebook groups only 3 seem to be regularly active.

Do you have any current plans for AvP Central, Ww?

The main plan is to add more content. Articles similar to "Top 10" lists like this, which has been somewhat popular:
https://www.avpcentral.com/top-10-badass-aliens
I am also doing some experimenting with Youtube because that is the bigger "market". AcidGlow and Alien_Theory are an influence.
The site should pay for itself by affiliate links.

I am just curious, can the income from AvPGalaxy keep you focusing on it without doing a "regular job"?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

What income?  :laugh: This is a hobby for me. Something I'm so immensely passionate about. I get some physical benefits like review copies and game studio visits which is awesome but I don't actually get paid. What money we receive from ads and subscriptions goes back into the hosting fees, what money I've made from the TeePublic page has gone in a little pot to cover P&P for competitions and etc when we need them.

I'd love to do this full time and get paid for it and be able to work all day on articles and research and etc but the effort that I think would need to be put in to make money off this like the YouTubers do would make it seem more like a chore than I'd want.

I'm looking forward to seeing more content from you.  :)

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2018, 02:35:32 PM
What income?  :laugh: This is a hobby for me. Something I'm so immensely passionate about. I get some physical benefits like review copies and game studio visits which is awesome but I don't actually get paid. What money we receive from ads and subscriptions goes back into the hosting fees, what money I've made from the TeePublic page has gone in a little pot to cover P&P for competitions and etc when we need them.

I'd love to do this full time and get paid for it and be able to work all day on articles and research and etc but the effort that I think would need to be put in to make money off this like the YouTubers do would make it seem more like a chore than I'd want.

I'm looking forward to seeing more content from you.  :)

Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot. I will keep you posted on any updates.
Perhaps AvP Galaxy could like AvP Central is Facebook as well (pages liked by this page), I see it likes most of the AvP related sites.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Not a problem.

windebieste

windebieste

No matter how you look at it, it's going to be work.  Most of it repetitive.  You'll need to love what you do in order to survive.  As far as the financial side is concerned everyone will have different needs and deal with as appropriate.  My site is currently funded by myself.  Actually, I do everything right now.   

That may change, but right now, my site is largely the backbone for a larger project that may potentially become a long term income generating concern.  That would be nice.  I've sunk almost 3 years and thousands of dollars into both - and there's still no guarantee of success.

Right now, it's all fueled by passion.  That's what will get you through the lean times.  Of course everyone's situation and reason for running a web site is different.  Yours will be unique, too.  The big pay off is all independent web sites have a completely different personality stamped on them regardless of content - and that will be one of the attractions that will bring people to your door.  Otherwise, everything just becomes another homogenised FaceBook page. 

Keep it up.  We need more independent web sites.   They just need dedicated effort to make them worth visiting - and almost more importantly - revisiting.

-Windebieste.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Wweyland

Wweyland

Added another one, if anyone is still interested in Colonial Marines:
https://www.avpcentral.com/top-10-badass-colonial-marines

Wweyland

Wweyland

Added a list of the known Female Yautja:
https://www.avpcentral.com/female-yautja

Not sure if double or triple posting is allowed here though :|

SM

SM

No love for Hashori or Yaquita?

Vermillion

Vermillion

Wilks is Hicks though...right?

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: SM on Mar 20, 2018, 10:58:41 PM
No love for Hashori or Yaquita?
I actually haven't read the Rage War Trilogy yet although I have the first book. Will update the list soon.
So are they basically big Predators with breasts?

Wilks is not Hicks in the latest version of the book/comic, depends on which you prefer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed