Would you like to see a Queen in Scott's sequel?

Started by Berend, Nov 14, 2017, 07:31:13 PM

Author
Would you like to see a Queen in Scott's sequel? (Read 13,557 times)

monkeylove

Given production costs and the need to sell to an international market, any fan service will likely be secondary.

SiL

But that's literally what the Alien was in Covenant.

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Dec 07, 2017, 07:57:35 AM
But that's literally what the Alien was in Covenant.

Yeah I thought about that too. Very true.

PsyKore

That, and the drinky bird. ;D

SM

That shot lingered too long and ended up being clunky. 

Alionic

Quote from: Highland on Dec 06, 2017, 11:19:19 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 06, 2017, 10:56:42 AM
Sounds too much like fan service.  Damage control to appease fans.

This is the first time I've probably agreed with you. Scorpio, you aint that bad, lets watch Aliens together and we can play with our pulse rifles.

Only if you turn the safety switch of your pulse rifle on.

monkeylove

More likely ideas borrowed from the first two movies given the argument that if it worked in the past, it should do as well for an international audience, many of whom probably never heard of those films.

PsyKore

Quote from: SM on Dec 07, 2017, 10:05:00 AM
That shot lingered too long and ended up being clunky.

Yeah, agreed. I could see what Ridley was trying to do with it, like using the homage as a sort of foreshadowing for what was about to happen aboard the Covenant, but it just felt very awkward.

Gash

Nah. I think that colony at the atmosphere processor should be its own thing: the route that's taken when the alien devolves into a natural life cycle rather than an 'alien' one. 

Egg morphing and biological weapon enhancement is much more f***ed up and interesting.

I find the alien queen way too much like the dinosaur that Giger was desperately trying to avoid in his designs.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Gash on Dec 13, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
I find the alien queen way too much like the dinosaur that Giger was desperately trying to avoid in his designs.
This caught my attention. I've been a Giger fan long before his Alien fame. Clear back when I bought my ELP Brain Salad Surgery album and drawn towards any info on him since. Is this something you've read in an article or interview and he said that? If so, I find that intriguing since the dinosaur explosion popularity had not hit the masses yet. In fact, dinosaurs in film were practically non-existent during his period of designing the Alien. I mean, it sounds like Giger. I wonder why he was so desperate to avoid any similarity to dinosaurs.

Gash

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 13, 2017, 09:29:05 PM
Quote from: Gash on Dec 13, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
This caught my attention. I've been a Giger fan long before his Alien fame. Clear back when I bought my ELP Brain Salad Surgery album and drawn towards any info on him since. Is this something you've read in an article or interview and he said that? If so, I find that intriguing since the dinosaur explosion popularity had not hit the masses yet. In fact, dinosaurs in film were practically non-existent during his period of designing the Alien. I mean, it sounds like Giger. I wonder why he was so desperate to avoid any similarity to dinosaurs.

Giger was working alongside Roger Dicken to create the alien forms and Dicken had worked on films like The Land that Time Forgot and Warlords of Atlantis, so he was slightly geared towards that dinosaur design initially. During construction of the Chestburster it went from having black eyes and forearms to the familiar design it became. at one stage Giger wrote ( I think in Giger's Alien) that between them they had drawn back from elements that made the alien look too similar to a dinosaur - legs rather than forearms possibly but I'd have to find the quote.

Biomechanoid

Thanks for share. It's interesting that he was trying to avoid any similarity to dinosaurs. I'm not suggesting Giger foresaw the onslaught of dinosaur tales and documentaries capturing the masses attention spawned by Spielberg. More like an intriguing coincidence Giger wanted his creation to be unique to the unknown and upcoming dino juggernaut.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed