Alien - rescored with synthwave

Started by Russ, Nov 14, 2017, 02:10:42 PM

Author
Alien - rescored with synthwave (Read 1,293 times)

Russ

Russ

Saw this on the Wey-Yu bulletin

http://hhhhappy.com/hear-the-original-alien-soundtrack-rescored-as-an-80s-horror/

Essentially, the someone's replaced Goldsmith's score with Carpenter-esque one. I've not heard the whole thing yet - but its quite heavy. Interesting idea though.

I located the tracks on soundcloud to save you having to watch the whole movie.

Listening now - its effing awesome!

https://soundcloud.com/kodiak_of_na/sets/emergency-procedures-for-breach-abandonment

DerelictShip

I was about to say that sounds like stranger things and then I read the article, but holy cow I didn't think I'd like it that much! Really cool and made it feel like a completely new movie!

Russ

Russ

Maybe Hicks could get a few words from the guy - I can't believe this stuff isn't on youTube or anything... it's really fantastic. And I did watch some of the film with the soundtrack - it makes it feel more grungy, like a B-Movie... but yeah... loved this stuff.

skhellter

skhellter

Really really disliked this, tbh. :-X

A Poor man's stranger things ost.
And Stranger Things was already a poor man's John Carpenter ost.

Tesco's Synthwave

SM

SM

This sounded like a great idea.  Watching the titles and, no.  Not digging it.  There's no difference in the music from scene to scene to properly complement the vision.  The chestburster scene is pure cheez.  Maybe that was the intent...

DerelictShip

I always thought 80s style scores were cheesy so it hasn't mashed my view

reecebomb

reecebomb

Great idea, great potential! Execution - leaves a lot to be desired, though i didn't watch it through. Synth score can still be dark and menacing, this didn't fit the mood of the film at all. At least there was no second rate melanchonic piano music.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ on Nov 14, 2017, 04:53:09 PM
Maybe Hicks could get a few words from the guy - I can't believe this stuff isn't on youTube or anything... it's really fantastic. And I did watch some of the film with the soundtrack - it makes it feel more grungy, like a B-Movie... but yeah... loved this stuff.

Not really my jam, I'm afraid. I loved the idea but I watched about 10 minutes or so but I couldn't dig it. Liked some of the sounds but I didn't think it really worked. The mix was a little too loud IMHO too. If one of the others wanted to get him for a chat I wouldn't have any issues with it.

Re: YouTube, they'd likely flag it as pirating and remove it.

Russ

Russ

I don't think it was great for the film - but I really loved the soundtrack if that makes any sense.

I'm sure he wrote this music himself, so I reckon he'd be OK on youTube just doing the soundtrack itself.

SiL

SiL

This is a great lesson in why this was not the style of music chosen for the film.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: SiL on Nov 15, 2017, 10:27:05 AM
This is a great lesson in why this was not the style of music chosen for the film.

To be fair, he's an amateur composer. As I say - perhaps not great for this film, but as an album, I really liked.

SiL

SiL

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like this music. But the style does not belong on this film.

Russ

Russ

Yeah, I wasn't clear - I'm with you on both counts. Though, to be fair, it really could have gone that way with Tangerine Dream or someone doing the music. I mean, consider Blade Runner with its synth heavy vibe... I wonder if that could have worked for Alien?

Maybe not - synth-wave is having something of a renaissance, I think, but if you listen to many the soundtracks of many of these old movies with this kind music, they date fairly quickly... Carpenter and Vangellis being stand outs that don't of course.

bobby brown

LOVE THIS ;D

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

VERY cool!  Definitely gonna have to give this a watch.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed