Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 182,267 times)

prototypeXIII

Fantastic, wish i could say this was something new; but the Alien/Predator franchise in general seems to be cursed by poor management.  The Predator does look promising; but I swear is Disney shelves all their mature content there will be hell to pay.

andrea

sounds like the m aking of a great fan film if you ask me.....lol

yarko

I still believe (or want to believe) that 'scale back' means less amount of movies per year, with less global budget for this kind of movies. I don't think it means they want to never make a family 'unfriendly' movie ever again. Anyways, Alien and Predator are franchises with enough cult following, they wont want to lose that. Maybe they make them under the Fox Searchlight logo, or go for a PG13 instead R, or just use the IP for TV content as it was rumored (they arent closing Fox tv division).  And with Predator, I have the feeling that Fox already wanted to turn the saga into a family friendly franchise with The Predator (remember all that Shane Black talk about making it an event film).

I have faith that Ridley will push for a final Alien movie at the very least. Maybe in 5 years. If he is still alive by then :b

Whiskeybrewer

I dont think they'll ever make a PG-13 Alien or Predator movie.

Corporal Hicks

Whiskeybrewer

I dont think theyll ever make a PG-13 Alien or Predator movie

...............Again

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Isn't it ironic that the Alien was scarier in Anderson's PG-13 AVP than in Strause's R-Rated AVP? Maybe even the Predator?

HumanPredator

Scale back is not a bad term.  This just means that they are going to throw money at projects...this doesn't meant that the quality of the projects are going to be bad.  That is on the director and producer.  The first predator was made for 18 million dollars....was that a bad quality film? No.  Remember that was made back in the day when special effects were not as good as today.  That film produced one of the greatest creatures of all time.

LiquidMonster

I think we all need to catch our breath here and relax. ALL OF THIS is rumor and innuendo and until Disney officially addresses the "mature" Fox library they own, I wouldn't personally get all worked up over this.

My feelings are these: Disney can do 1 of 2 things here. 1.) They can decide to keep the VALUABLE adult IPs like Predator and ALIEN and release them under their Touchstone Pictures label or create another "adult oriented R rated/Risky PG-13" movie label to release them under or 2.) Sell off the IPs to another movie studio like Warner Bros(who I'm sure would LOVE the ALIEN and Predator franchises among others).

I think the most likely scenario is that Disney will indeed KEEP the ALIEN and Predator franchises along with the other adult leaning franchises.

I do not think for one moment that Disney stock holders would like hearing that the first thing Disney does after spending 71 billion dollars is to jettison some of the most arguably known IPs in the world in ALIEN and Predator. If I was a shareholder(I wish haha) I'd absolutely be opposed to Disney selling them off or shelving them.

I'm sure Cpl Hicks and some other established members here have some very solid sources (I've been here quite a long time but lurk more than post) and all I would suggest is that there *MAY BE* some FUD being thrown around by upset Comcast shareholders or "sources" who for one reason or another didn't want Disney to close the deal. So just be weary of "rumors" or "insiders" contacting you with this kind of stuff.

I just don't see Disney getting rid of these franchises.

Cheers!  :)

0321recon

0321recon

I don't want to raise any hopes for myself though, I harken back to the chat Andrew E Gaska (Fox consultant for the Predator/Alien universe) gave at the Alien Prequel Paradise FB page last month were he said that Fox unofficially had greenlit the final Prequel film though with a 'substantially reduced budget' as of last April. Though, that was under Fox.

Though, seeing mention of 'scaled back' in the WSJ article, reminds me of what Andrew spoke about the film's tight budget. It makes me speculate that Disney might of given Fox the greenlight to approve the project since Scott is doing Merlin for them with the reduced budget. Though, like I mentioned its all speculation, plus reading Disney not wanting to delve into R-Rated territory just throws me out of the loop.

I think the only way Disney releases Alien type of film it would be a film that it's a mix of The Martian that has some gore (i.e. Damon taking out that piece of pipe from his chest) and tone that has a mixture of drama/action similar to Aliens and Rogue One (dark ending) for that coveted PG-13 rating.

Though, I'm just pissing in the wind at this juncture. Like LiquidMonster has said, its all rumor and speculation at the moment. Let's see what happens next year.

Flap-Jack

'movies that don't fit its family-friendly, franchise-focused formula'

And Disney cast actors who were in prisons, dealt with drugs, domestic abuse, conceald weapon etc...
Family friendly my a.s

locusta

Quote from: Flap-Jack on Aug 13, 2018, 04:19:50 PM

And Disney cast actors who were in prisons, dealt with drugs, domestic abuse, conceald weapon etc...
Family friendly my a.s

This!

And practically Walt Disney was a NAZI.

Huggs

Quote from: locusta on Aug 13, 2018, 10:09:29 PM
Quote from: Flap-Jack on Aug 13, 2018, 04:19:50 PM

Family friendly my a.s

This!

And practically Walt Disney was a NAZI.

What in the world are ya'll talkin' about? Drugs? Nazis?

SM

Quote from: Stompy the Perfect Xeno on Aug 13, 2018, 11:31:21 AM
Isn't it ironic that the Alien was scarier in Anderson's PG-13 AVP than in Strause's R-Rated AVP? Maybe even the Predator?

No.

razeak

I expect the series will continue in cinema. I just hope it isn't as mis anaged as Fox did.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed