Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 181,246 times)

Naginata

Naginata

... What possible relevance does the presence (or lack thereof) of hypothetical transgender characters in an Alien movie have to do with Disney holding a monopoly on the film industry? That's a complete non-sequitur.

(I meant that as a reply to someone, but I didn't quote it because I'm a stupid  :P )

A-ha! This one: "Hero might be transgender and pansexual fighting against aliens in rubber costumes, totally de-gigerized."

The Old One

The Old One

Just ignoring the fact The Cold Forge, best Alien story in eons.

Has a black woman, a disabled, gay main character.
With hardly a straight forward gender identity.

To it's benefit I'd say.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

Honesty? Its for the best. Prometheus was bad, Covenant was even worse and also flopped at the box office. Predators was mediocre at best. The Predator looks terrible and all the reshoots and delays do NOT bode well.

There has not been a great Alien film since before I was born. There has not been a good predator film since the year I was born. Let the franchise rest. I have no doubt it will be brought back one day. But for now, for the foreseeable future, just give it a break.

Samhain13

Quote from: Naginata on Aug 12, 2018, 03:45:49 PM
... What possible relevance does the presence (or lack thereof) of hypothetical transgender characters in an Alien movie have to do with Disney holding a monopoly on the film industry? That's a complete non-sequitur.

I assume he thinks Disney pushes forced diversity into their movies. Either way that doesn't matter since the chances of more alien-predator movies happening are quite screwed.

Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on Aug 12, 2018, 04:16:23 PM
There has not been a great Alien film since before I was born.

Now that you mention it...

Naginata

Naginata

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 12, 2018, 04:01:24 PM
Just ignoring the fact The Cold Forge, best Alien story in eons.

Has a black woman, a disabled, gay main character.
With hardly a straight forward gender identity.

To it's benefit I'd say.

Just to be clear, I completely agree. My comment was aimed at that guy I was quoting, who listed transgender and pansexual characters as possible negative consequences of Disney owning Fox, which is a bizarre non-sequitur, in addition to being kinda bigoted (imo).

I know you probably know that, I just wanted to clarify to avoid any confusion.

EDIT: Also, I am never posting via the comments section of the newsfeed again, LOL

EDIT 2 - THE QUICKENING:
I assume he thinks Disney pushes forced diversity into their movies.

Even if we take that at face value, though, no movie that has to do business in China (ie: a good chunk of Disney's output) is gonna have an openly LGBT character.

Still Collating...

I hope these are just false rumors but if it's true that we might not see another alien/predator movie again, screw Disney! If they are not going to be making movies with these licences and are not smart enough to sell the properties they don't want, then I'm never gonna go and watch another Disney movie in the cinema again.
And maybe in the future if the political atmosphere changes, Disney might be forced to break up their monopoly?

Huggs

What I'm wondering now is.....does this mean will we get to summon Aliens and Predators in Kingdom Hearts 4?

Samhain13

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 12, 2018, 06:18:08 PM
What I'm wondering now is.....does this mean will we get to summon Aliens and Predators in Kingdom Hearts 4?

Biomechanical Giger Keyblade?

Having Dutch in your party next to Goofy and Donald?

They can put a female predator as a new Princess of Heart.

Sure let's try it.  :P

azamultic

As an Optimist i don't think giving up on your franchise(not wanting new movies in fear of it being degrading) is a  right way, in my optimisitc opinion it's always a chance a seeing new classic in the franchise, it's always a chance of getting right director, right producers at the right time in a right place and getting actually an amazing movie. Of course it's a slim chance, but still a chance  ;) 

Now if they not going to sell rights and not going to make movies it would be sad moment in our lifes "The End of the Era" like Rachel and Monica said in "Friends"

But who knows, maybe something going to happen and we will see new movies of this franchises under Disney or any other companie, or it's a possibility to see new franchises which would be inspired by Predator and Alien  ;)

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Samhain13 on Aug 11, 2018, 01:57:51 PM
I would prefer it all to die than to see Disney do the same they did with Star Wars.
I agree. Box office numbers aside, the Star Wars movies under Disney have been *most* disappointing.

Huggs

The only silver lining and consolation to be had here would be this.

The original alien film is basically perfect, and it always will be. The second film was the ideal sequel, and basically did Aliens as an action movie perfectly. And we got the queen, the hive, the colonial marines, and other awesome stuff that has lead to some great novels and games (ACM excluded). It built the rest of the world for us. This alone would probably be enough. But If you're like me, Alien 3 was fantastic and a satisfying end to the original trilogy and the Ripley arc. So there's that.

Resurrection was our "fun take" on the Alien movies. Alittle something different for those who may have wanted it. The first two predator films were fantastic. Predators 2010 was an enjoyable enough romp and took itself seriously, I wouldn't say it was garbage. The Alien prequels have basically been wrapped up well enough at the end of Covenant, with David having created the xenomorph and escaping. He has his freedom, we know where the xeno's came from, we know what the space jockeys are, and we know enough about David's plans and motivations to walk away if we have to. And we're about to get a goofy take on the predator franchise. Kind of a predator version of Resurrection if you ask me. So that's covered.

So aside from never getting a proper AVP movie, it's really not the worst place for it all to end. We've basically had a taste of everything, except (like I said) a good AVP. But there's two of them to watch if anyone ever wants to.

I doubt Hollywood could or would ever truly kill the franchises. They may get lost in limbo for God knows how long. Maybe 20 years. But I think that, given enough time, a lot of patience, wheeling and dealing, and a long break from these films will make somebody want to sell them, and someone else want to bring them back. I don't think we'll ever see the day when they're actually gone forever, but we may be in for one hell of a long wait.

But as long as those original movies are around, we'll always have perfection.

Richman678

Disney will sell it off to someone.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 13, 2018, 01:36:23 AM
The only silver lining and consolation to be had here would be this.

The original alien film is basically perfect, and it always will be. The second film was the ideal sequel, and basically did Aliens as an action movie perfectly. And we got the queen, the hive, the colonial marines, and other awesome stuff that has lead to some great novels and games (ACM excluded). It built the rest of the world for us. This alone would probably be enough. But If you're like me, Alien 3 was fantastic and a satisfying end to the original trilogy and the Ripley arc. So there's that.

Resurrection was our "fun take" on the Alien movies. Alittle something different for those who may have wanted it. The first two predator films were fantastic. Predators 2010 was an enjoyable enough romp and took itself seriously, I wouldn't say it was garbage. The Alien prequels have basically been wrapped up well enough at the end of Covenant, with David having created the xenomorph and escaping. He has his freedom, we know where the xeno's came from, we know what the space jockeys are, and we know enough about David's plans and motivations to walk away if we have to. And we're about to get a goofy take on the predator franchise. Kind of a predator version of Resurrection if you ask me. So that's covered.

So aside from never getting a proper AVP movie, it's really not the worst place for it all to end. We've basically had a taste of everything, except (like I said) a good AVP. But there's two of them to watch if anyone ever wants to.

I doubt Hollywood could or would ever truly kill the franchises. They may get lost in limbo for God knows how long. Maybe 20 years. But I think that, given enough time, a lot of patience, wheeling and dealing, and a long break from these films will make somebody want to sell them, and someone else want to bring them back. I don't think we'll ever see the day when they're actually gone forever, but we may be in for one hell of a long wait.

But as long as those original movies are around, we'll always have perfection.

I'm really trying to look at the Alien series this way.  But the biggest thing that nags at me is: What becomes of David?  He's hugely important to the story now and I really want to see his arc completed.

But without a conclusion, I just have to tell myself the engineers killed him for his actions on Planet 4, then took his eggs.  Perhaps they were taking them back to their bioweapons facility on LV-223 when an egg hatched and impregnated the engineer pilot, so he crashed on the nearby LV-426.

I'm actually considering putting together a fan film in the style of that Advent short, where we see David's point-of-view as he's been heavily damaged, bleeding milk everywhere.  He sends a progress report to the company informing them that he had a whole alien hive set up on Origae 6, and the engineers came & killed his creations, took the last of his eggs, and rendered him barely functioning.  He could present the theory that perhaps the eggs are being taken back to LV-223 where they will be contained safely from their populated planets.  He would instruct the company to bring human hosts within the vicinity of LV-223 if they're interested in obtaining his perfect creatures.  Then David would explain that he's made his mark on this universe and no longer feels the drive to go on, so he will allow his body to fail.

It would be much more underwhelming than the finale Ridley has planned, I'm sure, but it would be something to close the gap and scratch an itch.

As for Predator...  The world really needs to support the hell out of The Predator next month to show Disney that it's profitable.  Humanity already blew it for the Alien series by not supporting Covenant, god damn it!!!

For the sake of Predator fans, I really hope The Predator doesn't end on a massive cliffhanger like Covenant did.

LtJesseRipley

Marrrrry Fiken Poppins people are dumb - I hope the best - i just hope for the best...

Huggs

Quote from: necrotard on Aug 13, 2018, 02:42:23 AM
As for Predator...  The world really needs to support the hell out of The Predator next month to show Disney that it's profitable.  Humanity already blew it for the Alien series by not supporting Covenant, god damn it!!!

I'm leaning towards going now, just to "vote with my wallet" so to speak. As for Covenant, I check every plot summary upon release to see if the story is worth my time, Covenant most definitely was not. The nearest theater is almost an hour from where I live and in heavy traffic. Plus all the red light cameras which are ticket happy. I wasn't about to spend 5 hours and $150 on covenant after travel costs and a possible red light ticket because they shortened the yellow light to 2.5 seconds after installing the cameras. Not to mention the theater's service and quality is less than stellar.

But these are extraordinary circumstances. It could be the end of these movies for quite some time. So I may go. As for the movie ending on a cliffhanger, it's clear from the trailer that it will end on a call to challenge, as our surviving heroes gaze up at the morning sky. I don't have the utmost faith in what they're doing with this movie, and I really don't care for certain aspects of the plot, but I hope it does the best it can. I honestly don't see it doing more than 250mil end total, unless this news from Disney creates a "last chance" effect or something and draws more people to see it than would've otherwise.

Quote from: LtJesseRipley on Aug 13, 2018, 03:01:30 AM
Marrrrry Fiken Poppins people are dumb - I hope the best - i just hope for the best...

Just out of curiosity, who are these dumb people to which you refer?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed