Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 175,837 times)

whiterabbit

oh good god people the one thing I know for certain that Disney loves to do is lock away content for decades. As soon as they get alien and predator they are going to put it in the vault and we will never see it again for 50 years.

SM

Like they did with Star Wars and Marvel?

whiterabbit

Once the Marvel run wraps up, yes. With star wars they really have no choice but to dredge along. Now slow ahead if you please.

Wysps

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 23, 2018, 08:03:16 AM
oh good god people the one thing I know for certain that Disney loves to do is lock away content for decades. As soon as they get alien and predator they are going to put it in the vault and we will never see it again for 50 years.

I don't recall them handling other popular franchises in this way, but I'm definitely out of the loop.  What other franchises have they locked away?  Alien and Predator are staples of the horror/scifi realm - I wouldn't think they'd do that two these two.  Maybe remake after remake (which I don't think is a better alternative) but locked away for decades? 

Magegg

Yeah, well... I don't really see Disney working with these franchises anyway. Maybe they will rent the rights to NBCUniversal. They need to recover some money after the Fox buyout.

SM

Avengers vs. X-Men vs. Fantastic Four trilogy will sort that.

whiterabbit

Oh, yea, I forgot that there are a lot of people who are too young to remember when Disney used to actually lock away titles for decades. As far as I know some Disney movies are still locked away, meaning the best copies you can get are VHS. However in this new age, complete with digital copies and piracy, there's no point in trying to hedge the market. So yea guys, I was just joking about it.

Then again, they probably won't be doing anything with either property for a while. So it might as well be the same as locking them up in the literal Disney Vault.

SiL

The last time I remember them announcing they were opening their "vault" was about a decade ago. I think they've dropped the practice.

I think the only ones still locked away are things like Song of the South that they'd rather scrub from their oeuvre.

Wysps

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 24, 2018, 04:29:18 AM
Oh, yea, I forgot that there are a lot of people who are too young to remember when Disney used to actually lock away titles for decades. As far as I know some Disney movies are still locked away, meaning the best copies you can get are VHS. However in this new age, complete with digital copies and piracy, there's no point in trying to hedge the market. So yea guys, I was just joking about it.

Then again, they probably won't be doing anything with either property for a while. So it might as well be the same as locking them up in the literal Disney Vault.

Oh I remember the Disney "vault" days - I thought you were referring to actual live action films that were shelved for years on end.

whiterabbit

I think they actually still have the Disney Vault, as far as official media releases are concerned. However Song of the South is no where to be found in there. Pretty sure that's in a vault of concrete at the bottom of the ocean. :P I remember they attempted to erase that release once. Similar to how George tried to erase the star wars holiday special from existence but ultimately failed.

Anyways movies get shelved for many reasons. Usually because no one can come up with a story that has anything to say or place to go.

Dropship

Dropship

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 06, 2017, 08:39:27 PM
Has there ever been a case of Disney inheriting or actually doing an "adult" franchise? Either way, I wouldn't panic just yet. This might amount to nothing.

There is a sister company that is owned by Disney and they have produced r rated movies in the past, I can't remember the name of the company, touchstone or mirrormax I think?.... but I remember reading a article that had concerns about deadpool moving to Disney, it was thought that deadpool may be delivered by these companies in the future! Hopefully alien an predator can follow suit

SM

They can just be delivered by Fox.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, really it's all going to depend what they actually do with the Fox company itself. I remember hearing they were keeping Searchlight and 2000 as was. We'll see if they keep the main Fox intact too.

whiterabbit

I think it really wouldn't make any sense to get rid of the Fox moniker. There too much history there. Nor to even take over day to day operations any time soon. Probably best to keep it as a separate entity. Still I would not be surprised if parts of it is sold off.

Perfect-Organism

It would indeed be silly to do away with Fox as an entity.  It is a hallmark of Hollywood.  I could see Disney apply stronger brand management to popular properties like Aliens though.  I am not sure how it is now, but I would expect there would be a team that plots out the canon progression and creates a "style guide" that everyone has to follow. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed