Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 176,639 times)

Magegg

Shaw was a nerdy girl that became fierce when fighting the creatures in the end. And went bitter and determined to take some sort of revenge on the Engineers.

Anyway, I said she was kind of a little different.

SM

When was the "vulnerable yet caring" part of the formula?

Scorpio

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 22, 2018, 04:30:40 AM
Shaw was a nerdy girl that became fierce when fighting the creatures in the end. And went bitter and determined to take some sort of revenge on the Engineers.

Anyway, I said she was kind of a little different.

Where did you get the idea she wanted revenge?

Magegg

Quote from: SM on Jun 22, 2018, 04:42:00 AM
When was the "vulnerable yet caring" part of the formula?
She was vulnerable. A nerdy unprepared girl fighting the unknown. Also his boyfriend died and buah buah.

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 22, 2018, 04:48:08 AMWhere did you get the idea she wanted revenge?
She wanted to go to the Engineers planet to demand for an explanation or something. Was really serious about it.

SM

She wasn't vulnerable.  She was confident and self assured in her faith.

Ripley wasn't vulnerable either.

Corporal Hicks

I couldn't care less about the gender of the hero but it's become too formulaic. AvP, Prometheus and Covenant - the primarily female character makes it to the end. And then it's telegraphed all over the marketing which particular character that is going to be.

I'd hope in future they don't make it so obvious. Increase the number of female characters so it's not so hard to pick out the 1 women out of the 4 who is receiving the most attention in marketing or in the run-up. And most importantly make all the characters - regardless of gender - interesting.

Or do what they did with Alien to start with - write them unisex. And stick it through to casting, pick whoever is the best.

SiL

How is that any different to putting Arnie (or, more contemporary, The Rock) in literally any movie, though, honestly?

That it's going to be obvious who lives has nothing to do with tropes or gender, it's just lazy writing or marketing.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Jun 22, 2018, 12:50:45 PM
That it's going to be obvious who lives has nothing to do with tropes or gender, it's just lazy writing or marketing.

I think it has become a trope for Alien films, though. Purely because of Ripley. If it's an Alien film, it's going to have the main female character survive until the end. It's definitely bad writing and marketing in giving it away but it's still to do with gender and trope. I can pretty much assume that when I get an Alien film with a female lead, she'll make it to the end because she's the female lead.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 22, 2018, 12:50:45 PM
How is that any different to putting Arnie (or, more contemporary, The Rock) in literally any movie, though, honestly?

I guess because one of the effective things about Alien was that we weren't supposed to get Ripley was going to make it to the end. Obviously we've moved on from that now but it's just become such an Alien thing that I find it detrimental.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 22, 2018, 07:24:14 AM
I couldn't care less about the gender of the hero but it's become too formulaic. AvP, Prometheus and Covenant - the primarily female character makes it to the end. And then it's telegraphed all over the marketing which particular character that is going to be.

I'd hope in future they don't make it so obvious. Increase the number of female characters so it's not so hard to pick out the 1 women out of the 4 who is receiving the most attention in marketing or in the run-up. And most importantly make all the characters - regardless of gender - interesting.

Or do what they did with Alien to start with - write them unisex. And stick it through to casting, pick whoever is the best.
Daniels is effectively dead though.

Magegg

What if we make a xenomorph the main character next time? :D

Perfect-Organism

Ha!  It should totally be an effeminate man who gets stuck in a situation with an alien and then the film is about him manning up...  Literally, it could be about a hair stylist on a glamorous gambling space station, who  picks up his first gun with two fingers and then begins to transform...  would be hilarious...

The Old One

The Old One

Or y'know, it could pick up the baton from Alien and have a character from an unrepresented group be the protagonist.

Wysps

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 22, 2018, 07:24:14 AM

Also, split focus between the stylistic/artful aspects of the film with proper characterizations of the cast.  Merely focusing on gorgeous sets, ambient music, and thematic elements aren't going to move the story.  The movie is going to stagnate if the cast doesn't have enough personality to drive the story forward.  (I personally like them having the sex picked out prior to casting.  Then their attributes can influence how that character behaves to a certain extent - idk it just makes the characters more relatable to me.)

The Old One

The Old One

I don't think there's a problem with the story in the prequels, but it's in the details of character behaviour and scripting that needed more work.

Richman678

Well if I was Disney the first thing I would do is green light Alien Isolation 2. Then I would let Ridley either finish his trilogy, or he needs to set up a TV show for their streaming service. This time get a good writer please.

Other than that maybe a stand alone Star Wars story where Darth Vader leads a group of storm troopers to investigate why one of their outposts hasn't responded only to discover the xenomorphs have taken over.....lol ok that's just a dream.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed