Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 176,746 times)

Prof. a

Quote from: 0321recon on Dec 15, 2017, 08:48:55 PM
Quote from: Alionic on Dec 15, 2017, 07:25:23 PM
Quote from: 0321recon on Dec 15, 2017, 06:19:40 PM
Quote from: Prof. a on Dec 15, 2017, 05:46:15 PM
Everybody should remember that this deal still has to clear a few legal, regulatory hurdles. It is possible that several different government agencies could block this transaction. Considering that the current climate is very uncertain with regard to mergers and acquisitions (AT&T and Time Warner's merger is currently facing a regulatory hurdle), this deal could face some scrutiny.

From my own personal analysis, if the deal goes through, a lot will depend on who stays and who goes in the leadership positions. Stacey Snider, currently heading the film division, has hinted another Alien will go forward. But, rumors are swirling in the trade magazines that she will be leaving her post.

So, we have several different possibilities:
1) Within the next 12-18 months, there is a transition period where many of the same staff will stay in place. The current staff quickly greenlights the next Alien film and it moves into production
2) Snider, Emma Watts, or some remaining deciders stay and move ahead with the next Alien film.
3) Disney puts on the breaks and brings in someone new. This new person will do an evaluation and what happens is anybody's guess.

If they are following their current model, we could see:
a) Star Wars-like soft reboot/sequel with many of the same formulas of the previous entries
b) Indiana Jones-like status - working with the original talent (Spielberg, Marshall, Ford) with a "promise" to make a film but no serious work commitments
c) Or obviously the film gets shelved.

Boy, I hope Ridley finishes Cartel fast and starts production on Awakening before Disney takes over because just reading this morning of what happened with Last Jedi, I can't fathom what they'll do with the franchise.

What happened with The Last Jedi? I haven't seen it yet, so if it's spoiler related, please don't tell.  ;)

I've been reading various forums and seeing the mediocre audience scores on Metacritic and RT for the film, it seems that many are complaining how they don't properly handled the legacy characters, how the film feels like a MCU property, awkward comedy bits, sloppy editing, not furthering what was set up in Force Awakens, plus other stuff that I won't mention since it goes into spoiler territory.

I've seen The Last Jedi. As a Star Wars fan, I found it to be very disappointing - perhaps, for different reasons than other people.

I'll do my best to avoid spoiling the film but if you are concerned, don't read on if you want to avoid any spoilers....

My biggest gripe was that like The Force Awakens, this latest sequel pretty much takes very iconic scenes, plot threads, and formulas and just repurposes them with new characters. People were promised "big surprises" - but to be honest, there are no big surprises. The film takes 90% of what the previous films did and spins the remaining 10% into something a little different. This little difference is so minimal, that it is quite insulting to describe the film as "unexpected or surprising".

I won't go into further detail as I don't want to spoil specific story elements.

If they take the same formula to the Alien series, a lot of the originality of the series may be lost. This could please some fans who want to see a re-hash of the older films, but I don't think it will please the general public.

Soo

This could mean  a breath of fresh air for the avp movies and more.
I felt like disney had fox by the balls whe disney bought lucas arts and all that. And i tink since disney owns marvel films that we will see aliens and predators a plenty down the road with a ton of cash behind it.

quijju

This might be a good thing. Disney can't do worse than what we've already gotten. Arguable both franchises have lost their glory so maybe this could lead to some change that isn't awful. I am sick of Predators always being the good guys and lesser of two evils with Aliens (I miss AVP Classic where Preds were treated as just as deadly as aliens, maybe even deadlier) and I am sick of Aliens being changed from mysterious cosmic terror to freak mistakes from gray baldies. Hopefully they will both be restored to their roots. It seems unlikely because while I am not a Star Wars fan I see mixed results from the Disney SW movies from friends. Only time will tell for sure though.

Maron

Scott's next "Alien movie" isn't under production yet. So in my opinion, Scott needs to be punished by Disney after his smack talk about the xenomorph. Cancel his trilogy and start again with something different. Maybe with Blomkamp's vision.

Just think about it. How the mighty "Scott" has fallen. This would be so deep, so elitist. People would speak of this for decades.

Jimmy Conway

Star Wars: The Last SJW, was one of the worst excuses for a movie, i have ever fng seen.   and i do not need to explain why to anyone that appreciates film as an "art form".   merry CHRISTMAS to all.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Will we see the Disney logo at the start of The Predator

Creditor

I'd rather have Scott finish his trilogy than just another bug hunt movie. If not just adapt one of DH Alien comics.

D88M

I do not expect anythign good out of disney, they pretty much ruin everything they touch, a shame really

szkoki

Disney is impressive.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Disney can't go anymore worse then Fox. Prometheus Alien Covenant Avpr are all bad films. Predators has its fair share of fans. And we wait to see if The Predator is good.

Huggs

"It's just sounds too normal"

I agree. That's kind of what I was going for. It's honestly what I figured Scott would do if he chose to focus on David's obsession with Shaw, or just a basic (bare bones) continuation of Prometheus. Perhaps the unwanted inclusion of the xenomorphs in Covenant, may have had a more significant effect on the finished film than I first thought. I do hope though that we one day get at least a novel or something that more thoroughly details the events leading from Prometheus to covenant. It might make for some good close-quarters tension, and any further information David learned about the engineers would be interesting. Regardless of what happens to the franchise after the 3rd film, I hope Ridley really nails it home with the last one. I may not be a fan of the prequels, but if we must have one more, I'd rather it be a solid film, and see Ridley go out strong.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Creditor on Dec 18, 2017, 07:24:23 PM
I'd rather have Scott finish his trilogy than just another bug hunt movie. If not just adapt one of DH Alien comics.

A lot of DH comics are "bug hunt" scenarios.

I've always said i'd love to see one of the strange ones, like Labrynth, get turned into a movie, but SM was right when he said it wouldn't happen. Not conventional enough.

That's precisely what I would expect Disney to do. Something on the straight and narrow. Well made, but probably not too memorable.

SM

There needs to be some light at the end to make the protagonists struggle worthwhile. Labyrinth lacks that completely.

OpenMaw

I know! But that's what I love about it.

In a parallel reality where more art-housey Alien films could get made, someone like David Fincher or David Cronenburg delivering such a deliciously bleak and nasty film.

SM

I don't imagine Disney spending millions to bring it to the screen though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed