Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 181,337 times)

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 21, 2019, 07:03:53 PM
Aliens is light years better than Alien3... 4,000 to be exact.

Indeed, to the south.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 21, 2019, 07:05:34 PM

Indeed, to the south.

Between that and your Terminator Salvation defense, you have just earned yourself a new rank:

Corporal Bat Sh*t Crazy!

;D

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 21, 2019, 07:13:37 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Mar 21, 2019, 07:05:34 PM

Indeed, to the south.

Between that and your Terminator Salvation defense, you have just earned yourself a new rank:

Corporal Bat Sh*t Crazy!

;D

I accept the nomination!

Although lieutenant batsh*t or captain crazy sounds better.

I'll take them both as aliases.

Voodoo Magic

Naginata

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 21, 2019, 01:49:57 AM
Quote from: Naginata on Mar 21, 2019, 01:13:24 AM
I just hope to God they don't go the boring route and make 'Aliens 2.'  :P

God knows we wouldn't want to put any people in theatres.   ::)

It can feature marines, it can mimic the feel of Aliens, it can be a crowd-pleaser; none of that is the issue. When I say 'Aliens 2' I mean 'hacky nostalgia grab with all of the trademarks and none of the spark.' Think 'Stasis Interrupted" from CM (or hell, that game's story in general). Endlessly regurgitating the second movie's style with none of its substance.

In other words, I want them to make a good Alien movie, not a mediocre movie with a ton of callbacks/references; that way lies madness.

... Or worse, Ready Player One:P

[cancerblack]

Good way of putting it.

Huggs

Quote from: Naginata on Mar 21, 2019, 09:34:25 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 21, 2019, 01:49:57 AM
Quote from: Naginata on Mar 21, 2019, 01:13:24 AM
I just hope to God they don't go the boring route and make 'Aliens 2.'  :P

God knows we wouldn't want to put any people in theatres.   ::)

It can feature marines, it can mimic the feel of Aliens, it can be a crowd-pleaser; none of that is the issue. When I say 'Aliens 2' I mean 'hacky nostalgia grab with all of the trademarks and none of the spark.' Think 'Stasis Interrupted" from CM (or hell, that game's story in general). Endlessly regurgitating the second movie's style with none of its substance.

In other words, I want them to make a good Alien movie, not a mediocre movie with a ton of callbacks/references; that way lies madness.

... Or worse, Ready Player One:P

Ready Player One gets a pass though , because the whole point of the movie involves callbacks and shout outs and tributes. It's not some movie that supposed to be its own thing but is over indulging in paying tribute to other films and franchises, or in the case of an aliens film, other alien movies.

The whole point of that movie is to make references to popular culture.

Voodoo Magic

I don't think it was the "whole point" of the movie and especially the book.

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 21, 2019, 09:50:14 PM

It was big enough to warrant a pass.

Now an alien movie that over indulges to that extent, that would be a problem.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 21, 2019, 10:06:52 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 21, 2019, 09:50:14 PM

It was big enough to warrant a pass.

I think that's more due to its context.

Naginata

Naginata

I mean, if "HEY, HERE'S AN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY THAT EXISTS" can be called 'a point,' I guess you're right...

(sorry, I just really hate that movie, and I find the book even worse, lol).

EDIT: Also, Voodoomagic, cool sig. I always thought it was weird how Pred faces looked different, but I never put 2-2 together that it was as simple as a V and an X before!

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 21, 2019, 12:48:02 PM
... I don't think Neill Blomkamp himself would be capable of elevating it based on his track record,
but few ideas are truly hopeless. This isn't one of them, much as I dislike it. A good film could be made of the idea.

https://i.giphy.com/media/3owzWgmZkAWxdj31lK/giphy.webp
I've been saying that for pages :P

XenoHunter99

Ready Player One used 80s pop culture as a big part of its background, but it was about the characters' journey and the human condition. I enjoyed the book and the movie.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 21, 2019, 03:16:42 AM
Ridley did that one because he is into ancient astronauts stuff

I'm not even convinced of that much. I think he likes bits and pieces of all different stuff, but not enough to properly explore each individual one. There were a lot of instances of dark mythology which could have been used for that film, but weren't. One of the things I was hoping for was Scott's yesteryear visual artistry being applied to visuals echoing throughout time of ET intervention. It could have been amazing. But all we got was a bloke in a loincloth chugging back some black soup from a pot. :-\

Ironically, the historical flashback scene in the first of the AVP films managed to create a better sense of an atmosphere.

There were actually some interesting quotes and such, in the original 'Engineers' script, which would have grounded it in a better sense of history, but which were removed in the altered, later story, Scott ultimately chose to film.

Along with the entire reason for the Engineer going psychotic...

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 12:30:16 PM
The idea of retconning Aliens and Alien³ so a family return is a plebeian proposal.

Why blame Blomkamp for that? That's all on Weaver. His original story was Ripley-less.

And Weaver's been the one person consistently involved in the series, who has always praised the entire quadrilogy.

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 21, 2019, 06:13:02 PM
Or the theme park atmosphere of Cameron's film.

You must have visited some very disturbing and stress-inducing theme parks.

Huggs

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 22, 2019, 04:38:19 AM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 21, 2019, 03:16:42 AM
Ridley did that one because he is into ancient astronauts stuff

I'm not even convinced of that much. I think he likes bits and pieces of all different stuff, but not enough to properly explore each individual one. There were a lot of instances of dark mythology which could have been used for that film, but weren't. One of the things I was hoping for was Scott's yesteryear visual artistry being applied to visuals echoing throughout time of ET intervention. It could have been amazing. But all we got was a bloke in a loincloth chugging back some black soup from a pot. :-\

Ironically, the historical flashback scene in the first of the AVP films managed to create a better sense of an atmosphere.

There were actually some interesting quotes and such, in the original 'Engineers' script, which would have grounded it in a better sense of history, but which were removed in the altered, later story, Scott ultimately chose to film.

Along with the entire reason for the Engineer going psychotic...

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 12:30:16 PM
The idea of retconning Aliens and Alien³ so a family return is a plebeian proposal.

Why blame Blomkamp for that? That's all on Weaver. His original story was Ripley-less.

And Weaver's been the one person consistently involved in the series, who has always praised the entire quadrilogy.

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 21, 2019, 06:13:02 PM
Or the theme park atmosphere of Cameron's film.

You must have visited some very disturbing and stress-inducing theme parks.

Ever been a hundred feet in the air, upside down, and hear the bolts rattling loose?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed