Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 104,917 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

thank god they didn't put that in, cos it would've been too laughable

bb-15

Quote from: Kane's other son on Nov 16, 2017, 11:45:28 AM
Covenant featured the best alien-bursting-from-a-human-body scene since 1979. It's no longer scary (and more importantly disturbing) because we've seen it before. The same with aliens stalking people in dark corridors and shafts or swarming a barricaded compartment. It's all familiar. You know how it will play out.
I don't think there' anyone against good characters, but keep in mind that in Alien the characters are archetypes. It's not like the chestburster scene succeeded because Kane was such a compelling character.

This is close to where I'm at.
I thought the Neomorph back burster sequence was one of the best science fiction horror moments in the entire Alien franchise.
- But because the Giger inspired monsters have been played out and the style of Alien has been copied (see "Life", etc.); the question comes, where to go from there with the story?
- A few jump scares? It's still not enough.

* What Ridley decided with "Prometheus" was to go in a more detailed, serious science fiction direction. The film made decent money.
But because the fan base is so split, a lot of fans hated "Prometheus".
I definitely get that with all my IMDb "Prometheus" debates.
But in the end I think for the future of the Alien franchise, Scott was on the right track.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing a movie about the response of the Engineers to David's attack.

;)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 03, 2017, 08:54:47 AM
Don't really care if it was all from the studio (which was my guess back then). Ridley Scott stood behind that decision. He gave interviews talking about how he was wrong with Prometheus and how the Alien films are "all about this guy right there" *points to an Alien poster*. He needs to own up to it.

Well, he didn't but you've tried to milk that click-bait many times before.

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 03, 2017, 08:54:47 AMI said it before: this franchise has been hijacked by a director who doesn't even want to make Alien films.

Yes, you have, and you're still wrong.

Quote from: Jamie on Nov 03, 2017, 07:10:52 PM
No- just give the fans the film they want

Which is?

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 03, 2017, 07:44:45 PM
Nothing will surpass the original Alien. It's a true icon of cinema. Not neomorphs, deacons, engineers or anything else. They should have figured out how to use the alien proper, but show it in a new light (eg Cameron's queen).

I regard the Queen as far more detrimental to the whole concept of the alien than the Neomorph or the Protomorph. Or David.

Quote from: BlackMatter169 on Nov 03, 2017, 09:45:44 PM
I've always felt like Covenant was a hate-filled letter to the fans of the alien.

Did you? I didn't. I felt it was the first film sine ALIEN that tried to put some suspense and horror back into the mix.

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 03, 2017, 09:56:11 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 03, 2017, 09:46:21 PM
@Prof. a

You shouldn't follow trends because they change. The most important thing is good story.
I'm pretty sure he was trying to explain the studio's logic behind making Covenant. I don't think he necessarily encourages such an approach.

And I do agree with his analysis. Here's what I wrote on the subject a couple of months ago. Seems pretty relevant now:

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Sep 10, 2017, 04:55:45 PM
I don't think adding the alien in was a result of taking in criticism about Prometheus. Here's a timeline to illustrate:

2012 - Ridley Scott makes Prometheus; Says Prometheus is not a prequel to Alien; Says Alien is 'cooked'; Film gets mixed reactions from fans.
2013 - Aliens:Colonial Marines comes out; Gets annihilated both by critics and fans; Reinforces 'Alien = cooked' claim.
2014 - Alien:Isolation comes out; Gets high praise from fans and critics alike; Questions 'Alien = cooked' claim.
2015 - Neil Blomkamp releases Aliens related concept art; Claims to have idea for a sequel; Claims concept art + sequel ideas were Alien:Isolation inspired; Gets overwhelmingly positive reactions from fans.
2015 - Ridley Scott announces Prometheus 2 is now Alien:Paradise Lost; Says it's a prequel to Alien.
2017 - Blomkamp confirms Alien sequel = dead; Ridley Scott prequel now only option.
2017 - Ridley Scott apologizes for making Prometheus; Alien no longer cooked.

Congratulations, there it is again. Make sure you milk that fake news for all it's worth.

Quote from: Vin on Nov 04, 2017, 06:22:31 AM
This, plus all the preachy undertones of atheism. We get it, we get youre atheist. Nobody cares, we came for the creatures and the space marines and the glory from the novels and comics and more of Aliens.

Well, maybe you did. I want more meat on the bones than that BS.

Quote from: Olaf.Brunson on Nov 04, 2017, 03:39:46 PM
good director, terrible story writer.

Dan O'Bannon and James Cameron are the two who made Alien any good. Ridley needs to back off.

Pfft, Cameron's writing across his entire catalogue is nothing to crow about.

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 07, 2017, 09:32:13 PM
..An Alien queen being blasted by a colonial Marine will attract more attention than David in his "Little white Onesie".  The Alien universe can handle a good action movie, look at the second film, or better yet, Gibson's Alien 3 script. Or just do like the saw movies, repeated formula (minus any connection to any other film). Random crew on random ship or base encounters an Alien or Aliens and fights to survive. Smaller budget with a consistent offering, and give different people the opportunity to direct each one.

Either way, I don't think it's the beast that's "cooked" or "run out", but I'm starting to think Ridley is.

Hang on, the ideas you've suggested are not cooked? Overplayed? Rehashed?

No, sorry, I'll take a film maker who wants to do more than keep revisiting the same scenarios. 

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 16, 2017, 04:29:50 AM
Everything in film is fictional. Even men with knives.

So how are men with knives scary if we know what they do?

In film? They're not. They're a boring cliche.

Quote from: bb-15 on Nov 18, 2017, 08:34:38 PM

I thought the Neomorph back burster sequence was one of the best science fiction horror moments in the entire Alien franchise.

It was, and all the more effective for the suspense that built up because the audience had a comprehension of where it was leading :- graphic body horror. This is Scott utilising to the best effect that unnerving expectation of what 'might' be shown.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Gash on Jan 11, 2018, 04:45:46 AM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 03, 2017, 09:56:11 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 03, 2017, 09:46:21 PM
@Prof. a

You shouldn't follow trends because they change. The most important thing is good story.
I'm pretty sure he was trying to explain the studio's logic behind making Covenant. I don't think he necessarily encourages such an approach.

And I do agree with his analysis. Here's what I wrote on the subject a couple of months ago. Seems pretty relevant now:

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Sep 10, 2017, 04:55:45 PM
I don't think adding the alien in was a result of taking in criticism about Prometheus. Here's a timeline to illustrate:

2012 - Ridley Scott makes Prometheus; Says Prometheus is not a prequel to Alien; Says Alien is 'cooked'; Film gets mixed reactions from fans.
2013 - Aliens:Colonial Marines comes out; Gets annihilated both by critics and fans; Reinforces 'Alien = cooked' claim.
2014 - Alien:Isolation comes out; Gets high praise from fans and critics alike; Questions 'Alien = cooked' claim.
2015 - Neil Blomkamp releases Aliens related concept art; Claims to have idea for a sequel; Claims concept art + sequel ideas were Alien:Isolation inspired; Gets overwhelmingly positive reactions from fans.
2015 - Ridley Scott announces Prometheus 2 is now Alien:Paradise Lost; Says it's a prequel to Alien.
2017 - Blomkamp confirms Alien sequel = dead; Ridley Scott prequel now only option.
2017 - Ridley Scott apologizes for making Prometheus; Alien no longer cooked.

Congratulations, there it is again. Make sure you milk that fake news for all it's worth.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 17, 2017, 10:07:00 PM
Ridley is saving the grand entrance of the Gigermorph for the last one.  The one in Covenant is a protomorph, and is meant to be more like a beast to contrast with the 'perfect organism'.

They'll come full circle and have the Gigermorph (ugh) burst from an old Nexus-6 Replicant, from which it inherits its biomechanical traits.

Instead of dying quietly after a four-year lifespan, it sacrifices itself to David's science experiment as a final "f**k you" to humanity.

Gash

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jan 11, 2018, 11:23:08 AM

https://www.stayathomemum.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/The-Drew-Carey-Show.gif

The invented point presumably. Scott never 'apologised for making Prometheus', an internet journalist created the headline and deliberately misrepresented him . It's been pointed out and debunked before as you know, so rekindling this pitiful myth undermines the validity of any point you're trying to make

Paranoid Android

You seem to be trolling now. Come back once you got the point instead of doubling down on not getting it.

Highland

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 11, 2018, 01:40:41 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 17, 2017, 10:07:00 PM
Ridley is saving the grand entrance of the Gigermorph for the last one.  The one in Covenant is a protomorph, and is meant to be more like a beast to contrast with the 'perfect organism'.

They'll come full circle and have the Gigermorph (ugh) burst from an old Nexus-6 Replicant, from which it inherits its biomechanical traits.

Instead of dying quietly after a four-year lifespan, it sacrifices itself to David's science experiment as a final "f**k you" to humanity.

Wouldn't it be a Nexus 7? 

bb-15

Quote from: Gash on Jan 13, 2018, 12:04:21 PM
Scott never 'apologised for making Prometheus',

Correct.

;)

ralfy

They should not borrowed from the first two movies and come up with something new for the last film.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: bb-15 on Jan 13, 2018, 05:19:29 PM
Quote from: Gash on Jan 13, 2018, 12:04:21 PM
Scott never 'apologised for making Prometheus',

Correct.

;)

He just said he was "wrong" about the Alien being cooked. He still is.

ChrisPachi

If anything it's been woefully under-cooked since Alien 3. I look forward to the day when once again the single worst thing in the lives of a bunch of interesting characters is the alien.

Inverse Effect

He shudda included that 20 minute meal thing into the actual movie.

SM

* 5 minute

MU-TH-UR 6000

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed