Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 105,419 times)

Maron

How many times exactly did Ridley Scott say, that the Alien is cooked and boring?

Jesus, we got it. The Alien sucks for you.

Then, could you please stop making movies for this franchise? Please?
::)

Paranoid Android

I figure this also deserves mention: if the alien is indeed "cooked", why do the visual and narrative nods to Alien/Aliens work so well in Stranger Things? Anyone who watches that show pretty much agrees that the Demagorgon design is inferior to the alien, so what's the deal there? A cheap alien knockoff works great in a beloved TV series, but the real deal is cooked?

Ingwar

Guys from Stranger Things know how to use it. Scott doesn't have a clue.

Kane's other son

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 04, 2017, 11:21:00 AM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 04, 2017, 09:16:58 AM
I don't understand why people keep blaming the poor alien for terrible script writing. At the end of the day, the alien is just an awesome monster that kills people. It's a prop. Blaming it for being "cooked" is the same as blaming the failure of your film on a gun or a ship.

Exactly. Same goes for Jaws. The original was brilliant, the sequels sucked... but not because of the shark.

No. It was because the situations involving the shark are not endless and after a while you are just repeating things.

Space7Horror

The thing about Alien is that it has the opportunity to evolve and change thus giving it the ability to be fresh and new in different movies.  Each Alien movie the Alien is different, from the way it acts to the way it looks.  This is mainly the result the people designing the suits but as fans we chocked it up to being the biology making it different which makes it far more interesting.  In Aliens they are older, in Alien 3 it comes out of a dog or ox, in Resurrection they are genetically merged with human DNA further than they normally are.  Prometheus and Covenant made the Aliens a result of the black goo giving the species an even larger opportunity to look different and act different.  Between the two prequels we have seen many different variations of the creature each being unique in their own way while still containing some characteristics of the original.
My point is the Alien is not cooked and I fully agree with people who are saying that people just don't know how to use it in film.  With a good script and production along with an understanding of the Alien beast itself, a new Alien movie could be just as good as the original.  Scott messed up in covenant but that docent mean it has to be the end there is still hope and opportunity for a sequel to it and for future films in the franchise to be able to explore different aspects of the Alien itself or an entirely different species. 

KiramidHead

And now I wonder what cooked xeno tastes like.

Jay Brazinni

Jay Brazinni

I read or saw an interview of Scott saying this same thing before the release of Prometheus, which must be why Prometheus was going in a different direction. A direction I wish he'd stay after seeing covenant.

Covenant finally killed the alien for me by reducing it's origin to merely an extension of humans, so the alien is not so alien anymore. It's the ambiguity that made it interesting in the first 1979 film.

I feel I'm in the minority by saying I really liked the direction Prometheus was going, despite its flaws. So, I think this is a good move because I also think the alien is f**ked. Unfortunately.

Robot6

RE: the video excerpt and what Mr Scott has said: Absolute bollocks. He's just back-pedalling because it all went to shit. He owned Covenant a little more than he should have and the result is as it is.
The blame is not soley with him though, as the studio should have passed judgement on him being a little "jaded" by "the beast" and f**king given it to someone who actually gives a shit about this franchise (along with better writer(s)). For example, look at what Denis Villeneuve did with our beloved Blade Runner... a proper labour of love. Scott's problem is he just appears to be doing it to get his retirement fund in, bashing out films nice n quick and with very little in the way of artistic integrity. You can hear it in the way he speaks about these projects, it's almost like they've sat someone from accounts down in the chair.

Get out whilst the going's mediocre, Mr Scott, it'll be kinder than if the going's straight up shite, like Alien: Covenant was.

Olaf.Brunson

Olaf.Brunson

good director, terrible story writer.

Dan O'Bannon and James Cameron are the two who made Alien any good. Ridley needs to back off.

adambeyoncelowe

Now, Denis might do a good Alien film... I'd still like to see Danny Boyle's Alien too. That would be amazing.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Robot6 on Nov 04, 2017, 03:21:52 PM
RE: the video excerpt and what Mr Scott has said: Absolute bollocks. He's just back-pedalling because it all went to shit. He owned Covenant a little more than he should have and the result is as it is.
The blame is not soley with him though, as the studio should have passed judgement on him being a little "jaded" by "the beast" and f**king given it to someone who actually gives a shit about this franchise (along with better writer(s)). For example, look at what Denis Villeneuve did with our beloved Blade Runner... a proper labour of love.

I agree. Scott is not only to blame. Fox wanted to save some cash instead of taking risks and breaking the universe with Scott's prequels and Blomkamp's alternate Alien3. It was well-known that Scott wasn't keen with the xeno from 2010. Prometheus was successful enough to warrant a sequel. Fox should had green-light Paradise and Blomkamp's film at the same time, and see what result came from that. Though, now were stuck between a rock and a hard place. The only thing they could do, is either reboot the entire damn thing or disregard Covenant as a whole, and break the universe letting Scott do his thing while Blomkamp or someone else continues the franchise post Aliens or Alien3. 

If I were an exec at Fox with the money Covenant got, I'd toss Covenant to the side, greenlight Blomkamp's film, knowing people will come in droves for Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn, from that money finance Scott's Prometheus 2 and whatever other film that goes after Blomkamp's project.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

0321recon

PierreVW

Quote from: 0321recon on Nov 04, 2017, 03:50:34 PM
Quote from: Robot6 on Nov 04, 2017, 03:21:52 PM
The blame is not soley with him though, as the studio should have passed judgement on him being a little "jaded" by "the beast" and f**king given it to someone who actually gives a shit about this franchise (along with better writer(s)). For example, look at what Denis Villeneuve did with our beloved Blade Runner... a proper labour of love.

I agree. Scott is not only to blame. Fox wanted to save some cash instead of taking risks and breaking the universe with Scott's prequels and Blomkamp's alternate Alien3. It was well-known that Scott wasn't keen with the xeno from 2010. Prometheus was successful enough to warrant a sequel. Fox should had green-light Paradise and Blomkamp's film at the same time, and see what result came from that. Though, now were stuck between a rock and a hard place. The only thing they could do, is either reboot the entire damn thing or disregard Covenant as a whole, and break the universe letting Scott do his thing while Blomkamp or someone else continues the franchise post Aliens or Alien3. 

If I were an exec at Fox with the money Covenant got, I'd toss Covenant to the side, greenlight Blomkamp's film, knowing people will come in droves for Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn, from that money finance Scott's Prometheus 2 and whatever other film that goes after Blomkamp's project.

I don't sure people are dying to see Weaver and Biehn. The new Star Wars worked because its new leads are young and attractive people. The same with Jurassic World. People don't care about 1 woman in her late 60s(Weaver) and a man in his late 60s.

The lead of the new Terminator is a new and young woman. Arnold and Linda are going to be supporting.

reecebomb

Wiever and Biehn in a Blomkamp sequel - not gonna work, might be a interesting misfire though. I personally want Blomkamp to stay away from the Alien movies period, even if i really like District 9, the rest is meh. However Blomkamp would be a perfect canditate for another AvP movie, i'd certainly watch that.
Young and attractive people in a Alien films - even worse idea. Prometheus and Covenant featured enough Abercrombie models. I don't want Alien movies resemble The 100 series.
Since the Alien series is f**ked anyhow i no longer care what they do, i can always imagine the original trilogy is all there is, the rest is nothing more than corporate product trying to milk the franchise as dry as possible or fanfiction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed