Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 103,933 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: newagescamartist on Nov 03, 2017, 05:27:17 PM
Ridley's not wrong. The xenomorph is pretty much played out.

Poppycock!

The alien has always been a goldmine of writing potential.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: reecebomb on Nov 03, 2017, 05:47:33 PM
Covenant wasnt a good horror, it wasnt a good action film, it wasnt a good philosophy film and it was f**king boring and stupid at the same time, surprisingly average looking too being a Ridley Scott film. It's genuinely worse than Resurrection, perhaps even Aliens V Predator, been a while since i watched it .
I rewatched it after Covenant and I gotta say it's an ok film. With the franchise standards being as low as they are now, I even freely admit it's pretty good and my hate of it revolved around comparing it to truly good films.

AvP:R is still crap though. Nothing can redeem that film.

BonesawT101

He's right the creature needs reinvented. Wrong that it has been played out. A reboot of sorts is probably the best way forward for the studio. With Ridley as producer.

skhellter

It's just a film series about velociraptors with banana heads.
You guys need to relax a bit.

MrH

The Martian Ridley to this is different because he was given a completed film, the Martian is the book, he had no narrative input. He just put his beautiful visuals into it. That's all.
Ridley is only as good as the script he's given or chooses and he can't choose a good script.

Those saying the alien was the worst part of covenant, sure, but that's only because the story teller chose it that way.

No matter how much everyone loves him, he's not right for the franchise, Prometheus and covenant, could have been a new universe, if he doesn't like alien, don't make an alien film. He has enough money he can make his own new universe movie, it all boils down to greed and yes men

reecebomb

I rewatched it after Covenant and I gotta say it's an ok film. With the franchise standards being as low as they are now, I even freely admit it's pretty good and my hate of it revolved around comparing it to truly good films.

AvP:R is still crap though. Nothing can redeem that film.

I remember it being ok until the main gal made friends with predator, that wtf moment where she held alien head as a shield took me right out of the film and started hating it. Being an unrelated spinoff, the film didn't bother me much in the end but i don't care about it either.

AvP:R was so bad it wasn't even worth a download, deleted that shit 30mins in. I thought i was high or something.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: BonesawT101 on Nov 03, 2017, 06:47:17 PM
He's right the creature needs reinvented. Wrong that it has been played out. A reboot of sorts is probably the best way forward for the studio. With Ridley as producer.

I don't think everything Ridley says should be taken as gospel. The reception for Covenant wasn't lukewarm because the large majority are sick of Aliens, it's because it was average at best. Completely unspectacular. I reckon most complaints were levelled at the dumbass characters and terrible CGI.

As it stands now Covenant has been and gone and gathered a generally mixed-to-poor reputation the Alien probably does need to go on ice for 5-10 years again. Take a swing at the next generation of youths.

Quote from: skhellter on Nov 03, 2017, 06:48:09 PM

Yeah this. They've been generic movie monster fodder for 4 or 5 movies in a row now. Javier Botet not doing weird contortionist shit in the suit was such wasted potential, man.

Jamie

No- just give the fans the film they want

reecebomb

Yeah this. They've been generic movie monster fodder for 4 or 5 movies in a row now. Javier Botet not doing weird contortionist shit in the suit was such wasted potential, man.

I hope you don't count AvP films, cause they are not related and to think of it, Scott prequels shouldn't be either, but they are. Previous shit films in the franchise doesn't justify the next one beign shit and why make them all if good monster movie in outerspace is no longer possible. Make something else perhaps.

0321recon

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;D

SuicideDoors

Quote from: reecebomb on Nov 03, 2017, 07:11:13 PM

I hope you don't count AvP films, cause they are not related and to think of it, Scott prequels shouldn't be either, but they are. Previous shit films in the franchise doesn't justify the next one beign shit and why make them all if good monster movie in outerspace is no longer possible. Make something else perhaps.

I don't include AvP as part of the true narrative but when talking about the Alien as a character/monster being played out, you cannot emphasis enough how much damage the AvP films did.

reecebomb

I don't include AvP as part of the true narrative but when talking about the Alien as a character/monster being played out, you cannot emphasis enough how much damage the AvP films did.

The damage was there, but not many took AvP seriosly, did anybody? Nothing compare to how Scott f**ked up with the prequels.

Baron Von Marlon

Just split the franchise.
Let Ridley continue his Engineer/Android movies, drop Alien from the title and market it the right way so people know what to expect.
And let others do actual Alien/Xenomorph movies.

Quote from: 0321recon on Nov 03, 2017, 02:06:58 PM
Fox could pull a Terminator Genysis and disregard Covenant.  let Scott continue his own series of films and hand over the franchise to someone else or let Blomkamp do his thing since this was a true misfire. I liked Covenant though once the xeno showed up, I was meh. They could had just stuck with the neo and it would had been great. I guess Fox just didn't think long term with these films.

+1
I think the neo and other variations would've been pretty sweet and a decent replacement for the typical xeno.

Rudiger

Nothing will surpass the original Alien. It's a true icon of cinema. Not neomorphs, deacons, engineers or anything else. They should have figured out how to use the alien proper, but show it in a new light (eg Cameron's queen).

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

QuoteAnd, from some behind-the-scenes chatter that Alien vs. Predator Galaxy has heard it would seem that the decision to include the Aliens in Prometheus 2 came down from the studio.

Well prior to Damon Lindelof's involvement, Prometheus was conceived originally as an Alien movie. In fact I remember Jon Spaihts claiming that FOX was primarily responsible for the most drastic changes of that story. So it's basically the same thing again.

However (and as others have already said) in Ridley's mind, this prequel saga is not about the Space Jockeys, nor the Aliens. It's all about David, and apparently Scott is just using the franchise to sell his recent obsession  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed