Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 105,324 times)

Still Collating...

Well, that escalated quickly. Loving the discussion over here.

Some strong points all around. I didn't know about the Amazon thing. That's scary... I completely agree that AI has the potential to ruin us and that if we allow it to learn and evolve without supervision, that things get dangerous. But I will paraphrase Neil deGrasse Tyson when he said that we don't have to fear AI if we don't give them emotions and if we write a good enough rule set into their programming.

I believe that we will be able to create a fully conscious, human like AI one day, but that would not be the smartest thing to do. The greatest danger is the mentioned: We created you cause we could. If we are stupid enough to create a human like AI with emotions and freedom of an evolving mind, there will be great consequences.

AI, technology and robots are tools, a means to get something done. If we give them consciousness and emotions, that would be just cruel for we are basically creating slaves. If we have already created AI that can communicate with another AI in a language we can't understand, that's damn irresponsible of us. If AI mimics humans completely, than yes, it's basically a child with "free" will. We can't predict it's actions and things turn into a gamble. If we don't make the AI sentient by putting in well thought out safeguards and keep the AI supervised, it remains a tool.

The greatest danger really is Holloway's line: We made you cause we could. Our curiosity will be the death of us if it's not accompanied by our intelligence and forethought.         

OpenMaw

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jun 10, 2018, 12:08:58 PM
The greatest danger really is Holloway's line: We made you cause we could. Our curiosity will be the death of us if it's not accompanied by our intelligence and forethought.       

https://www.fastcodesign.com/90132632/ai-is-inventing-its-own-perfect-languages-should-we-let-it

to me to me to me to me...

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I remember it being asked, "What would a Terminator do if it saw a turtle upside down?" And the answer was it would more than not turn it right side up.

Although if David saw the same thing, I wonder what would he do?

You know what's scary about that pseudo robot language, it sounds selfish as hell. Basically balls, me and everything now now now now.

Still Collating...

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 10, 2018, 12:28:23 PM

https://www.fastcodesign.com/90132632/ai-is-inventing-its-own-perfect-languages-should-we-let-it

to me to me to me to me...

First I laughed but this didn't stay funny for long... Damn.. I'd start treating my phone and PC nicer, just in case, maybe they'll be on my side when shit hits the fan.

I honestly didn't believe things have already gone this far. I mean, It's like when we complain that characters in movies do very obviously stupid things. I really really hope these guys know what they're doing and that it's not as naive and "lets see what happens" as it sounds.

Yes, I'm optimistic about the future and understand that sophisticated AI will play the greatest role in it. But I didn't expect things to go so fast and seemingly without strict oversight. And Facebook is doing this?! Okay...  :laugh:
I really didn't think a scientist/coder/programmer would make a sophisticated AI speak a language that only AI can understand. My faith in people has been diminished. At least we'll get cool movies and books out of this!  :D

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jun 10, 2018, 11:31:06 PM
At least we'll get cool movies and books out of this!  :D

(crazy old man jumps out of alley)

"Already have for 40 years. We've been on borrowed time sine Y2K man. The writing's on the freakin' wall! You think they don't know, but they know. Make nice all you want. You're like Mark Whalberg talkin' to a potted plant. You'll be blendin smoothies in the basement to hide from terminators dude! Welcome to the future!".  :D

Immortan Jonesy

Well, that escalated quickly. Loving the discussion over here.

But I will paraphrase Neil deGrasse Tyson when he said that we don't have to fear AI if we don't give them emotions and if we write a good enough rule set into their programming.

It's always a pleasure to listen to his take on this kind of things, even with a grain of salt.

Inverse Effect

Still expecting at this point that the Space Jockey in Alien is David. Hense Bio-mechanical Aliens...Ridley will pull us a M. Night Shyamalan on us.

The Old One

The Old One

I hope not, that would be immensely predictable.

I hope his "twist" is that David was responsible for a bunch of Derelicts or that David simply stumbles across it, and all that implies.

Baron Von Marlon

I'm gonna guess it's an Engineer who got infected at some point prior to taking off in the pre-Derelict.

Quote from: Guts on Aug 03, 2018, 03:53:57 AM
Still expecting at this point that the Space Jockey in Alien is David. Hense Bio-mechanical Aliens...Ridley will pull us a M. Night Shyamalan on us.

The bio-mech thing is more of a look than an actual thing. Think even Giger said this.
Bio-mech creatures wouldn't be able to reproduce without mechanical things involved. The xenos are biological creatures with a bio-mech appearance.

OpenMaw

And i've always responded to that assertion with, nanotechnology.

The Aliens could very well be a fusion of biological and literal nanotechnology. Self replicating, self healing. Aliens could easily survive the vacuum of space, the immense pressures of molten lead, etc, if they were part machine.

Self replication, you don't need a factory to fix yourself.

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Aug 03, 2018, 06:12:09 AM
Aliens could easily survive the vacuum of space, the immense pressures of molten lead, etc, if they were part machine.

How much pressure are we talking about? They didn't fare so well against 1/4 of an APC

whiterabbit

There is no reason space should kill an alien. I'm all for a true Alien sequel staring big chap. Followed by a true Aliens sequel staring the Queen. They ain't dead.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Guts on Aug 03, 2018, 03:53:57 AM

Me too. Which is one of the reasons I really don't want another Ridley/Alien film.

Evanus

If Ridley actually turns David into the Space Jockey... he'll be an absolute madman.

Vermillion

Quote from: Evanus on Aug 03, 2018, 09:20:32 AM
If Ridley actually turns David into the Space Jockey... he'll be an absolute madman.
That's been my theory since day one.
Hence the biomechanics of the Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed