Tom (The Alien) Woodruff, Jr. Horror-Ween AMA on Reddit

Started by studioADI, Oct 27, 2017, 11:11:30 PM

Author
Tom (The Alien) Woodruff, Jr. Horror-Ween AMA on Reddit (Read 1,405 times)

studioADI

Tom Woodruff, Jr. who worked as part of the FX team on Aliens, played the Alien in Alien3, Resurrection, AVP, & AVPR will be on Reddit for an AMA, October 31st at 9AM PT. More info here: https://www.evensi.com/tom-woodruff-jr-horror-ween-ama-on-redditcom/231869863

SiL

Thanks for the heads up!

Corporal Hicks

Looking forward to it!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

This is kicking off now.

I asked about how much work was done with Alien 5's creature design -

QuoteJust an exchange of Neil's artwork and story ideas and a maquette that he requested, detials of which he asked us to hold back,,,

Sounds like that maquette could have been of something interesting!

studioADI

It's Halloween, the best time to talk monsters, and Tom Woodruff, Jr.'s Reddit AMA is now live. Ask me anything about Aliens, AVP, The Predator, or anything else! https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/79wld5/im_tom_woodruff_jr_known_as_the_alien_in_the/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Not much on Alien 5 so far apart from your question to Tom.

Interesting bit on Alien 3 and Giger:

QuoteQ: How closely did you work with Gieger on the Xenomorph? It is such an iconic monster I'd love to know more about the process of bringing the artwork to life.

Woodruff: The studio was distancing itself from Giger on Alien3, for reasons I don't know. I would be on the phone when Giger called and invited Alec and I to his studio in Zurich and instructed by the studio to turn him down. Huge regrets. Should have sneaked over for a milestone event but under contract and all, hands were tied so no real working with the genius behind it all!

BigDaddyJohn

No one asked about the predator  :'(

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 31, 2017, 05:34:34 PM

I probably should have asked my follow up as a seperate question.  :(

QuoteInteresting bit on Alien 3 and Giger:

QuoteQ: How closely did you work with Gieger on the Xenomorph? It is such an iconic monster I'd love to know more about the process of bringing the artwork to life.

Woodruff: The studio was distancing itself from Giger on Alien3, for reasons I don't know. I would be on the phone when Giger called and invited Alec and I to his studio in Zurich and instructed by the studio to turn him down. Huge regrets. Should have sneaked over for a milestone event but under contract and all, hands were tied so no real working with the genius behind it all!

I can't remember if they've ever mentioned Fox asked them not to visit Giger before?

SiL

They've said plenty that they didn't work with him, and that they were basically told to do their own thing, but AFAIK they haven't said they were explicitly instructed to have nothing to do with him.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Aye, that's the only tidbit of that I can't remember them mentioning in the past.  :-\ They've talked about not working with him plenty of times.

Interesting, though. I wonder if that's where all the unwillingness to work with Giger and his estate has stemmed from. I've heard some behind-the-scene stories from Covenant where they were just told to avoid Giger's work.

Woodruff doesn't think he'll be working with Scott on any Alien film -

QuoteAlways hopeful but Ridley Scott has chosen a direction and with shooting in the UK where tax incentives support the work locally, I think we're pushed out for good.

Think he got the UK and Australia mixed up, though.

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 01, 2017, 08:32:17 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 31, 2017, 05:34:34 PM

I probably should have asked my follow up as a seperate question.  :(

QuoteInteresting bit on Alien 3 and Giger:

I can't remember if they've ever mentioned Fox asked them not to visit Giger before?

Woodruff has spoken about this call in the past and only ever said ADI were too busy to meet Giger, so this is an interesting addition.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed