Newts or Shaw's death?

Started by Berend, Oct 20, 2017, 04:36:00 AM

Author
Newts or Shaw's death? (Read 6,148 times)

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Aliens wasn't a remake of Alien because it had Ripley returning.

If you have to kill off important characters that aren't yours in order to "make your mark" then you're just amazingly uncreative. It's not "punk rock".

He inherited a responsibility and he shirked it.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I think Shaw maybe should have had some time before being killed.

I felt Hicks and Newt, though, had a really good send off and it was fitting for Alien 3's style.

Neither of them shocked me though - it just seems normal for the Alien series. There's many other characters I've liked that have been tragically killed.

Vermillion

Vermillion

F that

Both were killed as cost cutting measures. Not for the Story.

Newt and Hicks should of been frozen in hyper sleep for the entire film only to wake after Ridley Sacrifices herself. 

I never got attached to Shaw. She cried and complained a lot for a Scientist/Doctor/interplanetary voyager.  Plus the Summer Teen sex comedy romp to get her into a sweaty white tank top...oh man.  Get it out get it out! Lol. 

Scorpio

Scorpio

I vote for Shaw/Noomi Rapace.

I never cared for Newt or Hicks.  Never understood their popularity.

skhellter

skhellter

Hix and Nut had one of the best funerals on film.

:-*

That scene was worth the price of their death.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Adult Newt would have been played by Winona Ryder, but instead she played Call which is an alt-Newt.

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Newt's death was way more of a burden to bear. The sadness and that feeling of being alone and TOTALLY f**ked doesn't compare to Shaw's death in Covenant. Though, I thought Shaw's demise was still quite disturbing considering her final outcome.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Shaw's dead? Wait, let me check my emotion chip...nope, nothing there. Who's Shaw again?

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

I was saddened by Newts death and angered by Shaw's.  I have grown to be okay with Newt dying (seeing as she avoided all the pain that would have come from surviving)  but Shaw had more potential and I wanted to see her get some answers.  I wanted the answers Shaw wanted and her death only kept us away from getting any. 
I'm now looking at these deaths as examples of how ruthless the Alien universe is and how no one is safe.  The fact that these characters are killed off screen adds to the overall nihilistic tone that the universe sets up.  Though we may like these characters and want to see them continue on, they can be easily killed off and the story must continue on.  It's ruthless and fitting as these movies are about the Alien and not any character that we become fond of.   

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Space7Horror on Oct 23, 2017, 05:25:17 PM
I was saddened by Newts death and angered by Shaw's.  I have grown to be okay with Newt dying (seeing as she avoided all the pain that would have come from surviving)  but Shaw had more potential and I wanted to see her get some answers.  I wanted the answers Shaw wanted and her death only kept us away from getting any. 
I'm now looking at these deaths as examples of how ruthless the Alien universe is and how no one is safe.  The fact that these characters are killed off screen adds to the overall nihilistic tone that the universe sets up.  Though we may like these characters and want to see them continue on, they can be easily killed off and the story must continue on.  It's ruthless and fitting as these movies are about the Alien and not any character that we become fond of.

I thought it would've been cool if Shaw got answers and sorta went mad because of them, before she met here demise.
Like a character in a H.P. Lovecraft story that's not able to cope with the forbidden knowledge.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Oct 23, 2017, 05:59:40 PM
Quote from: Space7Horror on Oct 23, 2017, 05:25:17 PM

I thought it would've been cool if Shaw got answers and sorta went mad because of them, before she met here demise.
Like a character in a H.P. Lovecraft story that's not able to cope with the forbidden knowledge.

Yah it would have been cool to see her get the answers she was seeking but they are completely different from what she had anticipated.  It's a shame we will never get to see her finish her journey.  It would have been interesting seeing her unable to cope with the answers she finds and maybe they would have led to her demise eventually.     

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, I wasn't particularly fussed about Shaw's death. I wasn't really interested in her as a character. I'm still a bit bummed out we've not had something more detailing the events between Prometheus and Covenant but that's more an interest in the story and David than anything to do with Shaw.

Now Hicks and Newt's death...love it. Absolute gut punch and I still love that Alien 3 did that to us. The funeral scene is one of, if not the, best scenes in the series for me.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 21, 2017, 08:19:37 AM
I think Shaw maybe should have had some time before being killed.

I felt Hicks and Newt, though, had a really good send off and it was fitting for Alien 3's style.

Neither of them shocked me though - it just seems normal for the Alien series. There's many other characters I've liked that have been tragically killed.

I agree with that. Their deaths were coherent in regard to what atmosphere Fincher was trying to create in Alien 3. A dark, moody, depressed one, where warm and positive elements like that for ripley can't fit.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Newts death is more effective because we get that legitimate autopsy scene from it.  The brutality of that scene alone shows more horror than Ridely Scott was able to generate in the entire scope of Alien Covenant.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Ash 937 on Oct 28, 2017, 03:06:28 PM
Newts death is more effective because we get that legitimate autopsy scene from it.  The brutality of that scene alone shows more horror than Ridely Scott was able to generate in the entire scope of Alien Covenant.

I totally agree with this too, this scene was brilliant, and served the purpose i mentioned.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed