The Predator Novelization

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 06, 2017, 07:10:35 AM

Author
The Predator Novelization (Read 12,217 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So in our recent interview with Bryan Thomas Schmidt, the editor of Predator: If It Bleeds (http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/10/01/interview-predator-bleeds-editor-bryan-thomas-schmidt-avpgalaxy-podcast-56/), he revealed that Titan would be doing a novelization of The Predator!

No further information as of yet.

felix

felix

I wonder if Christopher Golden is writing it?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Perhaps. Bryan did say it was one of Titan's usual authors.

felix

felix

I generally like Golden's writing. His Shadow Saga books are great reads.

felix

felix

https://bnccatalist.ca/ViewTitle.aspx?id=11867722

By Christopher Golden

Release Date: August 8th 2018

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

That link also mentions a prequel novel as well.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Interesting. Christopher Golden also contributed to the script for the Hellboy reboot... *vomits* I'm curious to at least hear about this, though. There's always some interesting deviations or bits left over from old drafts.

felix

felix

Release Date shifted to Sept 18th.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I like that they've gone back to novelising the films. After Requiem and Prometheus I was worried it was a thing of the past.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 27, 2018, 10:08:05 AM
I like that they've gone back to novelising the films. After Requiem and Prometheus I was worried it was a thing of the past.

To be fair I don't think anyone was exactly volunteering to novelize Requiem.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

According to Cerasini (AVP author, in Hicks' interview with him), he was offered the job, but it was so last minute he turned it down.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

QuoteAvPG – To our knowledge the sequel, AvP Requiem, was never considered for novelisation — did you hear any differently? Were you ever approached?

MC – I am likely the reason there was no tie-in novel to Requiem. I was in the middle of a deadline for one of the Coffeehouse Mysteries I write with my wife as Cleo Coyle, and HarperCollins called with an offer. They just got the absolute positively certain final script—they were still sorry about the previous mess—and they wanted to know if I was interested in writing the tie in for Requiem.

I was very interested, but they could only give me two to three weeks to write it, starting that day! As I was on another deadline for an original novel, I regretfully declined. Apparently they found no author willing to write on such a tight deadline—a shame because my AvP tie in was a USA Today bestseller as well as a NY Times bestseller, and I am certain the second novelization would do nearly as well.

AvPG – What are your thoughts on the Alien and Predator series following Paul Anderson's Alien vs. Predator? Did you like the later movies?

MC – When I finally saw Requiem I was glad I did not write the tie in—not because I hated it, but because there were a lot of characters I would have had to deepen and expand, as novels are more internal than movies. Such complexities would be impossible on a three-week deadline.

Generally, though, I thought the second movie was weak, and that bringing the Aliens to 21st Century America a huge mistake.

Predators, while not great, was an improvement over number two. In my honest opinion, none of the AvP movies were as good as the early scripts to the first film that were not used, or even some of the comics.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/marc-cerasini/

Hudson

Hudson

Haven't read that interview with him yet, but his response to Requiem is pretty on-the-nose. Doing the interior for the characters of that film in the span of a novel in less than three weeks is insane. He would've had to live and breath that script, and the prospect of that alone sounds horrendous beyond the fact that he was already busy. It's too bad though because AvPR would be an interesting novelization in terms of a character interiors. That being said, I now realize Ricky would probably be irritating to read. Although the writing of that character might be fun.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

And that's not even mentioning that there was, what, ten major characters in that movie? It was a lot, I recall that much.

felix

felix

Novelization cover is up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed