Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books

Started by felix, Sep 14, 2017, 01:45:44 AM

Author
Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books (Read 116,373 times)

Xiggz456

Great podcast and a lot of awesome insight into the story! Alex White is hilarious. I really appreciate that he did his due diligence with the scientific theories/applications presented. As well as his familiarity with the franchise, complementing both Isolation and Covenant in a manner that really boosts the narrative. I would love it if he got to write a short story on the eggs! Cold Forge, Isolation and Dead Orbit are my top three alien stories at the moment.

SM

SM

Good to hear from a writer who is also a fan of the EU.

Spoiler
So glad he didn't detail where the eggs came from in the book. It doesn't really fit, and it serves the story way better to have it classified with all these silos of information that only certain segments of staff know certain things.
[close]

In fact in series where we're often left to wonder where the Aliens come from and where the story fits in the universe, White couldn't have handled it better.

Corporal Hicks

Thanks all! I'm glad you're all enjoying this one.  :) Alex really was a great guest.

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 10, 2018, 11:59:28 PM
I would love it if he got to write a short story on the eggs! Cold Forge, Isolation and Dead Orbit are my top three alien stories at the moment.

I really hope we get to see Alex return! I don't really care what story he'd be back to tell, just want him back.

Quote from: SM on May 11, 2018, 04:19:49 AM
In fact in series where we're often left to wonder where the Aliens come from and where the story fits in the universe, White couldn't have handled it better.

It really was a non-issue within the story and I completely agree that it'd have detracted from the actual story. I do get why people have the question (obviously) so it's good to know that it was actually thought about by the author though.

hawkangel

Quote from: felix on May 08, 2018, 10:06:27 PM
I prefer the smaller mass paperbacks myself. They're more compact and take up less space on my shelf.

I hear you. I've been stung by that before. I use the USA ISBN on Amazon.com when ordering just to be sure.

SM

SM

QuoteIt really was a non-issue within the story and I completely agree that it'd have detracted from the actual story. I do get why people have the question (obviously) so it's good to know that it was actually thought about by the author though.

Spoiler
As far as I'm concerned the question is asked and answered in the story - it's classified.

As someone who nitpicks this stuff out the wazoo to the point of 'that ship was way too slow to cover the distance considering the time period of the story, and no one else will ever worry about this' - the source of the eggs wasn't even worth a nitpick.
[close]

Local Trouble

I haven't read it yet, but what I'm gathering so far is that the company obtains some eggs shortly after the events of Aliens and it's all somehow lampshaded as "classified?"

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 11, 2018, 11:28:58 PM
I haven't read it yet, but what I'm gathering so far is that the company obtains some eggs shortly after the events of Aliens and it's all somehow lampshaded as "classified?"

It's unclear when or where the eggs came from, but the story is written so well that's it's really a non-issue. It is truly the pickiest of nits. And the author addresses it in the podcast if you're bothered enough to be curious.

Local Trouble

It doesn't bother me.  In fact, I can respect a good lampshade.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 11, 2018, 11:28:58 PM

Pretty much.

And sorry - should've probably spoilered that.  :(

Local Trouble

Is it supposed to fit with A3 and AR or is it an alternate timeline?

HybridNewborn

There's nothing in it that contradicts AlienĀ³ or Resurrection.

Local Trouble

Does it end with The Big Deletion then?

SM

SM

YEeh but it's called the Big DeLOLtion.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HybridNewborn on May 12, 2018, 03:15:21 AM
There's nothing in it that contradicts AlienĀ³ or Resurrection.
Well other than
Spoiler
the existence of Alien eggs post-A3
[close]
which was SM's big sticking point on why the old EU "contradicted" Resurrection.
But I guess he's done a 180 on that position (and I couldn't be happier!). :P

Local Trouble

What does SM usually say when he's accused of making a 180 about that?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed